Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Media articles about money-saving topics
Chadwick
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 842 times
Been thanked: 2183 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by Chadwick » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Chadwick wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:Stop making bad assumptions and just give it up...!
Ironically, that's exactly what we're saying to you about Brexit.

Be careful what you ask for, if this terrible halfway house isn't challanged we may end up with the bad deal that we were assurred would be rejected...!
So, you ARE in favour of a second public vote.
Theresa May seems determined to steamroller her deal through, even hardly anyone else seems to support it. The Brexiteers she claims to be supporting are resigning rather than be associated with her deal, and Remainers are obviously against it. How can we stop her pursuing a course that nobody voted for in 2016?

macliam
Posts: 8183
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1414 times
Been thanked: 7158 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
pabenny wrote:I mentioned some facts in as neutral a fashion as possible; you expressed an opinion.
And like yourself I was just stating a fact not trolling as you tried to suggest...
Where was the "fact" in your comment? :eh:

You Brexiteers do have a problem with "facts", don't you?!! :roll:
Thanked by: Dream on
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy
Posts: 4225
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1066 times
Been thanked: 2245 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:21 pm

macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:
pabenny wrote:I mentioned some facts in as neutral a fashion as possible; you expressed an opinion.
And like yourself I was just stating a fact not trolling as you tried to suggest...
Where was the "fact" in your comment? :eh:

You Brexiteers do have a problem with "facts", don't you?!! :roll:
The structure of the EU Government is totally undemocratic. If you study it, and you don't need too dig too deep you will find out for yourself. Problem is most people think because they can elect an MEP that the EU Parliament is the same as the UK, that couldn't be further from the truth...

William Joseph1
Posts: 11665
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2728 times
Been thanked: 6995 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by William Joseph1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Boro Boy wrote:The structure of the EU Government is totally undemocratic. If you study it, and you don't need too dig too deep you will find out for yourself. Problem is most people think because they can elect an MEP that the EU Parliament is the same as the UK, that couldn't be further from the truth...
Just give up on your false news. You have repeated it so much to yourself that you really do think it is true. Reality is it just plain boring now.
Thanked by: Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam
Posts: 8183
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1414 times
Been thanked: 7158 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
macliam wrote:Where was the "fact" in your comment? :eh:

You Brexiteers do have a problem with "facts", don't you?!! :roll:
The structure of the EU Government is totally undemocratic. If you study it, and you don't need too dig too deep you will find out for yourself. Problem is most people think because they can elect an MEP that the EU Parliament is the same as the UK, that couldn't be further from the truth...
Stop with the lies!!!! :roll:

The EU parliament is directly elected. the EU commissioners are nominated by national leaders, etc., etc, - so where is the lack of democracy?

..... or to be specific, how is this less "democratic" than a system where the Prime Minister can be decided by a clique within the governing party, where the second chamber is made up of unelected peers...... and all bills are finally approved by someone who has a hereditary position. Maybe people who live in glass houses should not throw stones, eh? :eh:
Thanked by: Dream on
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 516 times
Been thanked: 1642 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by pabenny » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:18 pm

We've had this discussion in another thread. Mr Boro Boy asserted hat the EU is under the control of unelected officials but was unable or unwilling to come up with any specific examples of the unelected officials overriding the elected representatives.

Or if we're on about democracy,

is it democratic if one side is (allegedly) funded by a foreign power. Not proven, true, but enough evidence for the Electoral Commission to have referred the matter to the police.

Is it democratic when one side tells blatant lies (£350m/week for the NHS) that they refused to corrects (the bus bearing the figure was not changed). There may have been lies on the Remain side, but none as blatant as this.

Is it democracy when the 'winning' side make no effort to accommodate the losing side. (The Scottish independence referendum was to remain in the UK but Scotland gained greater autonomy from Westminster. In so far as the Brexiteers are agreed on a position, it is for a very hard Brexit - no concessions at all to those who wanted to remain in the EU)

But none of this matters here. Mr Boro Boy shows no interest in seriously debating these things. I could believe that much of what he says is to mostly to get a rise out of people. He will just throw in some other falsehood, half-truth or irrelevancy rather than responding to points raised or admitting that he was mistaken. If all else fails, he makes it personal (he's being patronised) or just walks away.
Thanked by: Dream on

Boro Boy
Posts: 4225
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1066 times
Been thanked: 2245 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:02 am

pabenny wrote:We've had this discussion in another thread. Mr Boro Boy asserted hat the EU is under the control of unelected officials but was unable or unwilling to come up with any specific examples of the unelected officials overriding the elected representatives.

Or if we're on about democracy,

is it democratic if one side is (allegedly) funded by a foreign power. Not proven, true, but enough evidence for the Electoral Commission to have referred the matter to the police.

Is it democratic when one side tells blatant lies (£350m/week for the NHS) that they refused to corrects (the bus bearing the figure was not changed). There may have been lies on the Remain side, but none as blatant as this.

Is it democracy when the 'winning' side make no effort to accommodate the losing side. (The Scottish independence referendum was to remain in the UK but Scotland gained greater autonomy from Westminster. In so far as the Brexiteers are agreed on a position, it is for a very hard Brexit - no concessions at all to those who wanted to remain in the EU)

But none of this matters here. Mr Boro Boy shows no interest in seriously debating these things. I could believe that much of what he says is to mostly to get a rise out of people. He will just throw in some other falsehood, half-truth or irrelevancy rather than responding to points raised or admitting that he was mistaken. If all else fails, he makes it personal (he's being patronised) or just walks away.

Not a matter of debate, it is there for all to see but most mistakenly assume that the EU parliament is run along the same structure as the UK Parliament; it isn't and is a long way away from democracy as we know it.

pabenny
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 516 times
Been thanked: 1642 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by pabenny » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 am

Do you not read other posts?
Boro Boy wrote: [people] mistakenly assume that the EU parliament is run along the same structure as the UK Parliament; it isn't
Correct. I don't think anyone here would disagree. A great many countries have representative structures entirely different from the UK and no-one suggests they are not democratic - the US, for example, with two fully elected houses and a more or less directly-elected president. Or Ireland, with a single parliament and a non-party president. etc etc).
..The EU parliament is directly elected. the EU commissioners are nominated by national leaders...
Please, explain: How is this not democratic?
Thanked by: Chadwick, Dream on

blythburgh
Posts: 15025
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31474 times
Been thanked: 6095 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by blythburgh » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 am

This is a post from a FB group I belong to:

Yay, Brexit!!
I'm living, studying and working part time in Stockholm. As an EU citizen, I can be compared to a Swedish national for eligibility for their extremely generous student loan. I've just been denied funding as they assume I will not be an EU citizen after March, and will not have finished studying by then. Ah, Brexit. The gift that just keeps on giving!!
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 842 times
Been thanked: 2183 times
Contact:

Re: Will all our Students start studying in France soon...?

Post by Chadwick » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:40 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:02 am
pabenny wrote:We've had this discussion in another thread. Mr Boro Boy asserted hat the EU is under the control of unelected officials but was unable or unwilling to come up with any specific examples of the unelected officials overriding the elected representatives.

Or if we're on about democracy,

is it democratic if one side is (allegedly) funded by a foreign power. Not proven, true, but enough evidence for the Electoral Commission to have referred the matter to the police.

Is it democratic when one side tells blatant lies (£350m/week for the NHS) that they refused to corrects (the bus bearing the figure was not changed). There may have been lies on the Remain side, but none as blatant as this.

Is it democracy when the 'winning' side make no effort to accommodate the losing side. (The Scottish independence referendum was to remain in the UK but Scotland gained greater autonomy from Westminster. In so far as the Brexiteers are agreed on a position, it is for a very hard Brexit - no concessions at all to those who wanted to remain in the EU)

But none of this matters here. Mr Boro Boy shows no interest in seriously debating these things. I could believe that much of what he says is to mostly to get a rise out of people. He will just throw in some other falsehood, half-truth or irrelevancy rather than responding to points raised or admitting that he was mistaken. If all else fails, he makes it personal (he's being patronised) or just walks away.

Not a matter of debate, it is there for all to see but most mistakenly assume that the EU parliament is run along the same structure as the UK Parliament; it isn't and is a long way away from democracy as we know it.
I refer you back to pabenny's answer above, and to the exchange we had about it on another thread.

You are quite right that the EU Parliament functions differently to our own.
Your argument seems to be that because the EU does not operate on the British model, it is not good. I assume you would prefer to see more unelected hereditary positions and perhaps more men in tights?
Can we also infer that every other country in the world is also far from being democratic if their system of governance differs from that of Britain?
Thanked by: Dream on

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests