Thanks to Rich I have managed to retrieve my original post from the old server!
Sorry to hear you wish to leave.
I think the majority of indecision as you call it is more down to the differing views within members of the Club, which can then make approaching any vote awkward. In our history we have:
- started as a low risk investment club
- did reasonably OK for a few years and was about 15% up
- got burnt by Carillion, which wiped out all gains and more
- caused a stir and change of heart by many
- calls for parameters to prevent such a loss again
- want to go for some riskier shares
- set parameters for them
- Medica did well and then dropped back and was sold at a loss
- calls not to have parameters any longer as we sold a share that had lost what we had agreed as being too much to accept (remember Carillion?)
- Cineworld did well and has now fallen back and is in danger of being sold due to parameters set
- calls to change parameters that were agreed only a few months previous to sell rather than track
As the chairman of the club I did try and drive the club and move it in a way we could get investments made and sold when the returns were evident. However, after criticism by some members of the club being led too much by officers I decided I would step back and let others put their options forward. It is reasonable to say there weren't many put forward - pretty much only from Rich, which was then voted against by members. I then fashioned a compromise which was accepted by members. There is only so much I can do as chairman without being accused of being too leading and then when there isn't much leading going on members want more leading and action. You see the problem?
We can't keep having fleeting changes of mind and angst that we are following what was voted for. If we had opted for selling a share for an agreed profit rather than tracking then we might have sold something. BUT we might also have incurred a big loss if Medica had fallen further, for instance, without some limit in place. Now we have Medica again but have no limits on it, risking loss, and no tracker and sell point set as we are "letting it ride", so no idea when we want to sell. Additionally, if Cineworld breaches the tracker we agreed and is sold for what might be a small loss no doubt there will be displeasure once again as things didn't go our way in the end.
We do not have a crystal ball. It is a catch 22 and much a poisoned chalice for me no matter what happens and all I get is the fallout from things. However, we are all big boys and girls, and as such if anyone knows the way forward - please propose it - help deliver the change and lets discuss. Like some of the Tory Brexiteers said - it is better to be in the Cabinet and working for change than to resign. Let's just remember - it is not about me, Rich or anyone else running the club - it is OUR club and everyone should be happy enough to contribute, throw out ideas, take criticism and develop things so we can prosper. If we take offense to remarks or don't pipe up in discussions we will continue to struggle in forging forward. As it is, without much suggestion for actual approaches we can take I will have to go back on my word and start taking the lead again. Not until after Christmas though, as I have no time
That's my view anyway. Please, please, please don't take any offense to what I have written as none is intended - I'm just saying how I see it.