An Accident waiting to happen...

Media articles about money-saving topics
blythburgh

Re: An Accident waiting to happen...

Post by blythburgh » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 am

Was shocked to hear on the Beeb news the other day we are losing social housing faster than we are replacing it. Just when we need social housing more than at any time for many years. Private rental does not give families the stabilty of a home they need but children can end up not just having to move home away from friends but having to change schools as well.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 am

blythburgh wrote:
Was shocked to hear on the Beeb news the other day we are losing social housing faster than we are replacing it. Just when we need social housing more than at any time for many years. Private rental does not give families the stabilty of a home they need but children can end up not just having to move home away from friends but having to change schools as well.
Your comments are way off the point of this thread - if you want to discuss this please feel free to start another thread. I was highlighting how construction standards are going backwards and we are building in future disasters into our housing stock. :eh:
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:20 am

I didn't realise you were a structural engineer...... :eh:

However, I would point out that there are a number of differences between a tower-block and a bridge - and particularly the bridge in question, which had a history of construction issues.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am

macliam wrote:I didn't realise you were a structural engineer...... :eh:

However, I would point out that there are a number of differences between a tower-block and a bridge - and particularly the bridge in question, which had a history of construction issues.
A bridge may be horizontal and a tower block vertical but the construction principals in this instance are the same rebars and concrete but in the tower blocks the concrete cover is even less so future deterioration is more likely. Instead of a bridge tower made of reinforced concrete we are looking at an inhabited tower block of 30+ floors held up by a few metal bars encased in concrete (rather than the traditional steel frame) which may be ok for a 6 storey block but it is pushing the limits taking it to 30+ :wtf:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am

I have nothing to say as I feel Boro Boy knows far more about this area than I do,
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:38 pm

blythburgh wrote:I have nothing to say as I feel Boro Boy knows far more about this area than I do,
Same here.

I'd read that the Genoa bridge was an unusual design and not how they build them nowadays.
But I don't have the same level of construction engineering knowledge that Boro boy has, so in the absence of any other proof must accept that modern high rise buildings are inherently more likely to collapse than the bridge.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:40 pm

This article speaks for itself: http://www.france24.com/en/20180817-gen ... 2463152530 More incidents in Europe and we are busy building the same problems into our housing stock for the future...

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Here follows an alert coming on from the Grenfell Enquiry regarding Hotpoint FF175BP Fridge Freezers but reading on in the report it could quiet easily refer to most new fridges manufactured with plastic backs rather than metal found in most older fridges.

See: http://www.kbbreview.com/news/fridge-wi ... s-inquiry/
Thanked by: stockportcounty

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 pm
Here follows an alert coming on from the Grenfell Enquiry regarding Hotpoint FF175BP Fridge Freezers but reading on in the report it could quiet easily refer to most new fridges manufactured with plastic backs rather than metal found in most older fridges.

See: http://www.kbbreview.com/news/fridge-wi ... s-inquiry/
After the plastic-backed fridge-freezer was linked to the fire, GDHA, Electrolux, and Gorenje followed Whirlpool’s example. However, metal backings on refrigeration appliances are still not a legal requirement in the UK, unlike in the US.
Thanked by: stockportcounty