ALERT: iMutual Car Owners

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Boro Boy

ALERT: iMutual Car Owners

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

I thought I would alert Members to one of the latest crime waves affecting car owners: https://www.petrolprices.com/news/500-n ... -car-safe/

As if we all don't have enough problems this additional one will be another issue to defend yourself against. Yet another despicable crime wave. :crazy:
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Re: ALERT: iMutual Car Owners

Post by pabenny » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Whilst I appreciate the alert, the linked article neglects to put this "crimewave" into perspective:

- There are more than 30 million cars on the roads of the UK
- 25,000 number plate thefts per year equates to 1 in 1200.

In comparison, the number of cars stolen is around 370,000 annually

ONS data shows that reported 'vehicle related theft' (defined as stealing or attempting to steal a vehicle or parts) has been in steady decline since the early 1990s.

I'm sure the op had good intentions in posting the link - but the article is alarmist clickbait.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:02 pm

car stolen - claim off insurance
number plate stolen - loads of hassle with little comeback
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 am

pabenny wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm
Whilst I appreciate the alert, the linked article neglects to put this "crimewave" into perspective:

- There are more than 30 million cars on the roads of the UK
- 25,000 number plate thefts per year equates to 1 in 1200.

In comparison, the number of cars stolen is around 370,000 annually

ONS data shows that reported 'vehicle related theft' (defined as stealing or attempting to steal a vehicle or parts) has been in steady decline since the early 1990s.

I'm sure the op had good intentions in posting the link - but the article is alarmist clickbait.
It is not just the physical numbers (and I wouldn't call 25,000 pa. small) but the rate of increase that drivers (or should I say the Police) should be aware of! Mind you, with this crime wave running into tens of thousands per year and rising, I wouldn't 'poo poo' this alert as it could easily be hitting you anytime soon.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 am
(and I wouldn't call 25,000 pa. small)
In the context of 30 million cars and 370,000 car thefts, 25,000 is relatively small.
Boro Boy wrote:
the rate of increase
People talk about rate of increase to big up small numbers. The fastest growing car brand in the UK might be MG, having trebled sales from 100 to 300. It's still tiny compared with Ford with sales of about 200,000. (number are for illustration and are not accurate). According to the the article, number plate theft has increased from around 14,000 in the 2000s, so yes, a big rate of increase in a small number.
Boro Boy wrote:
it could easily be hitting you anytime soon
True. But it probably won't. Because 1 in 1,200 is fairly uncommon.

We're given no other information - such as whether the rate varies across the country. Or for particular vehicle types or vehicle age. And there is almost nothing I easily can do to guard against this crime.

So I stand by what I said. It's alarmist clickbait.

And I'll go further. This sort of story is kindling for fake news. It's not untrue, but tends to mislead by giving a false impression, in this case about levels of crime. That's why I'm pushing back about the original story.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 am
It's alarmist clickbait.
Not the sort of response I would have thought should be directed at a responsible good citizen alerting his fellow citizens of something they may not be aware of!

It's not about percentages, it's about a growing problem that exists that is easily avoided. If you don't think it is going affect you why even comment, particularly so negatively?

As for your comment that it doesn't mention any regions effected: the article takes quotes from people from Brighton, Dunstable and as for the seriousness "Jack Cousens, head of roads policy for the AA said; “While a small percentage of the UK’s national vehicles suffer the inconvenience and frustration of having their number plate stolen, it is an incredibly serious issue."

Additionally comments such as: "Inspector Craig Clifton, from South Yorkshire Police’s Roads Policing Group, said: “The reason criminals steal number plates, and quite possibly the reason numbers of reported thefts have risen, is because of the advancement in ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) technology. Number plates are stolen for a variety of reasons to mask criminality."

Perhaps you should be writing to Inspector Craig Clifton and telling him his comments amount to "false news"!!!

Meanwhile I will just alert the good members of iMutual of how to avoid certain matters that could make their lives stressful...

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:52 am

pabenny wrote:it’s alarmist clickbait
Absolutely it is. Sure – number plate theft is a crime. The perpetrators are doing it to mask other criminality. But it’s an uncommon crime.

To take a wholly different example, passenger fatalities on UK railways ‘rocketed’ by almost 40% in 2016/17. To 15. For those involved, the death is clearly very serious and an increase the number of fatalities should at least raise questions. If we focus on that increase we lose sight of the the fact that rail travel is in fact very very safe – and far safer than road travel.

My criticism is aimed at the authors of the article, not the OP, not the people quoted in the article. What is said may well be true, but is not truthful. It leads people to believe that something is more serious, more prevalent than is actually the case.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 pm

I had the badge stolen from the front of my car - unscrewed and hoisted in broad daylight. :(

I blame BMW drivers trying to disguise the car they're driving.............. so if an odd-looking SEAT tailgates you or overtakes you dangerously, you have been warned!!! :shifty:
Thanked by: Boro Boy
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm

macliam wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 pm
I had the badge stolen from the front of my car - unscrewed and hoisted in broad daylight. :(

I blame BMW drivers trying to disguise the car they're driving.............. so if an odd-looking SEAT tailgates you or overtakes you dangerously, you have been warned!!! :shifty:
You may be interested in this, re SEAT recalls https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/05/vo ... -concerns/# You can check whether your car is subject to a recall here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Last edited by William Joseph1 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:23 pm

pabenny wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:52 am
pabenny wrote:it’s alarmist clickbait
Absolutely it is. Sure – number plate theft is a crime. The perpetrators are doing it to mask other criminality. But it’s an uncommon crime.

To take a wholly different example, passenger fatalities on UK railways ‘rocketed’ by almost 40% in 2016/17. To 15. For those involved, the death is clearly very serious and an increase the number of fatalities should at least raise questions. If we focus on that increase we lose sight of the the fact that rail travel is in fact very very safe – and far safer than road travel.

My criticism is aimed at the authors of the article, not the OP, not the people quoted in the article. What is said may well be true, but is not truthful. It leads people to believe that something is more serious, more prevalent than is actually the case.
But did you tell all that to Inspector Craig Clifton, from South Yorkshire Police’s Roads Policing Group as well? ;)