So what did you vote for?

Media articles about money-saving topics
parchedpeas

Re: So what did you vote for?

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 am
Thank you for telling me what I believe... can you also tell me where I put the TV page of the newspaper as that would be something helpful.
Dunno, but thanks to the 1989 European Council Directive (89/552), they'll all be on the one page and you won't need to buy the Radio Times AND the TV Times.

Isn't Europe brilliant?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Just going back to the title of the thread, "So what did you vote for?", perhaps the follow up question is...

Are you getting what you voted for?

Obviously my answer is "No", but I would suggest that leave voters ARE getting what they voted for: a mess.

Any other thoughts?

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:07 pm

I don't think anyone will get what they voted for..... people voted both ways for a number of reasons, some logical, some not. In the dearth of real information provided by both sides, there will be almost as many reasons for voting as there were voters and drill down into the details of what people really wanted and you are still left with so many variations that it was always an impossibility to give the majority what they wanted, whichever side of the vote they took.

It's convenient to think that all the pro-EU voters voted for the same thing, but again, this is unlikely - the only thing uniting them is that they wanted to see no immediate change to the UK's position vis-a-vis the EU, but many voted though gritted teeth, not liking certain aspects of it. On the leave side, there were those who had a philosophical objection to the EU (and this could be from the Left or Right), those who just didn't like the idea of "foreigners" imposing rules on the UK, those who wanted to see an end to immigration, those who thought too much money was going to the EU...... and many, many more reasons and combinations of reasons, true or false, accurate or not, that made the referendum an opportunity to stick it to "the man" after a decade of falling living standards. But one thing is for sure, they didn't vote to be poorer or to see even more erosion of living standards.

What are the chances anyone will be happy with any outcome? As I said early on, the only likely outcome is that the UK will pay more to get less - so who is going to applaud that?
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:07 pm
I don't think anyone will get what they voted for..... people voted both ways for a number of reasons, some logical, some not. In the dearth of real information provided by both sides, there will be almost as many reasons for voting as there were voters and drill down into the details of what people really wanted and you are still left with so many variations that it was always an impossibility to give the majority what they wanted, whichever side of the vote they took.
Quite. Hence my curiosity. Is anyone happy with the way things have turned out so far?

Teresa has dispatched the Nazgul today, to ride to the far corners of Middle Earth and persuade us to support her One Ring. Not sure why - currently it's not us she needs to persuade, but the other ring wearers (OK, I give up, the Lord of the Rings thing has reached it's limit now).

Anyway, she's trying to persuade us that her deal is the One. Are we buying it?
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:07 am

Today Amber Rudd is talking about Norway. I am 100% certain that no remainer or brexiteer voted for that. Surely even Brexiteers would rather be in than a Norway or even a Norway+.
Thanked by: parchedpeas
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:27 am

If Cameron had come out and offered this on the first morning after the referendum, we'd all be done and dusted by now and everyone would have calmed down. It's IS a version of Brexit. It won't settle the question: leavers will still campaign to do a 'proper' Brexit and remainers will campaign to join up to the EU-proper. So it won't heal the division. But it is the least damaging option on the table at the moment.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:03 am

parchedpeas wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:27 am
If Cameron had come out and offered this on the first morning after the referendum, we'd all be done and dusted by now and everyone would have calmed down. It's IS a version of Brexit. It won't settle the question: leavers will still campaign to do a 'proper' Brexit and remainers will campaign to join up to the EU-proper. So it won't heal the division. But it is the least damaging option on the table at the moment.
Not sure it is the least damaging option, the best option IMHO is a people's vote. And please if we get one can both sides please put forward arguments not lies and misinformation like last time.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 pm

It looks like there's going to be a leadership vote within the Conservatives.

I don't know why. They had a vote two years ago and chose Theresa May. They can't just change their minds and have another vote. They should stick with her even when it's obviously not working. May means May.
Thanked by: pabenny

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 pm
It looks like there's going to be a leadership vote within the Conservatives.
Looks like? It's a 100% certainty. Starting about now.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

The Vote tonight is a confidence vote in Teresa Mays leadership. Win or lose tonight, there may be a leadership vote in the the near future though.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.