So what did you vote for?

Media articles about money-saving topics
macliam

Re: So what did you vote for?

Post by macliam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:35 pm

ERG logic:

Referendum outcome
52% to 48% - Jacob Rees Mogg says Parliament MUST carry out the wishes of the majority.

May confidence vote outcome
63% to 37% - Rees Mogg says May should resign because her majority is so low...........

Anyone trust this guy?
Last edited by macliam on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:16 am

macliam wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:35 pm
ERG logic:

Referendum outcome
42% to 38% - Jacob Rees Mogg says Parliament MUST carry out the wishes of the majority.

63% to 37% - Rees Mogg says May should resign because her majority is so low...........

Anyone trust this guy?
Did you pass your O Level mathematics...!?! 42% + 38% = 100%!!!!????

Maggie resigned even though she had more support than May...! :eh:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:10 am

Theresa May will stay in place until Brexit is done. Then, before the ink has dried, she will be out.

No-one wants to take on Brexit. Not Johnson, Rudd, Gove, Rees-Mogg, Davies, Raab. None of them want their future careers tarred with responsibility for Brexit. This vote was not intended to oust her, but to weaken her position so the ERG can apply more pressure for whatever it is they want, and then after Brexit, one of them will become PM.

The Leave MPs have got an easy game here; it's a bit like being in the opposition. Whatever Theresa May does, they can criticise her, safe in the knowledge that they don't have to do the job. The current situation is that they've asked for a unicorn; Theresa May couldn't find one, so stuck a kitchen roll tube on a horse. The ERG says, no, that's not a unicorn, but they refuse to tell Theresa where the unicorns live and how to catch one. So Theresa is off to the EU to see if they can maybe pinch in the tube at the top a bit (to make it more pointy) and put some more sprinkles on it.

If I were in Theresa's shoes, I'd be a couple of inches taller. But I'd also be considering just kicking the entire ERG group out of the party and carrying on without them. The Tory party is clearly two parties loosely bound together. Why not cut them loose? I bet she wishes John Major had done that all those years ago.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:10 am

If I were in Theresa's shoes, I'd be a couple of inches taller. But I'd also be considering just kicking the entire ERG group out of the party and carrying on without them. The Tory party is clearly two parties loosely bound together. Why not cut them loose? I bet she wishes John Major had done that all those years ago.
Love them or hate them she and the party need the numbers. largely because of her false sense of security at the last election. But in the long term the Conservative party would be better served by doing just that or they forming a breakaway party. They have been a scourge on the Conservative party since before Maastricht and give them (the party) no benefits.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:50 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:16 am
macliam wrote:
ERG logic:

Referendum outcome
52% to 48% - Jacob Rees Mogg says Parliament MUST carry out the wishes of the majority.

Anyone trust this guy?

Oddly, 63+37 also equals 100, there's a surprise! :roll:
Maybe you should engage your brain before hitting the keyboard.... :eh:

To spell it out (as it seems you may be incapable of logic) I was pointing out that Rees Mogg thinks that a 42% to 38% majority is a no-contest win, but a 63% to 37% win should be discounted. Today the ERG are still whingeing that this result shows that a third of Tory MPs don't back May and she should resign, whereas the slim margin in the referendum gives them carte-blanche to impose their anti-EU views.

As for Thatcher - Julius Caesar was assassinated, what has history got to do with this?
Last edited by macliam on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:50 am
Boro Boy wrote:
macliam wrote:
ERG logic:

Referendum outcome
42% to 38% - Jacob Rees Mogg says Parliament MUST carry out the wishes of the majority.

Anyone trust this guy?

To spell it out (as it seems you may be incapable of logic) I was pointing out that Rees Mogg thinks that a 42% to 38% majority is a no-contest win, but a 63% to 37% win should be discounted. Today the ERG are still whingeing that this result shows that a third of Tory MPs don't back May and she should resign, whereas the slim margin in the referendum gives them carte-blanche to impose their anti-EU views.

As for Thatcher - Julius Caesar was assassinated, what has history got to do with this?
Your too aggressive and personally abusive - you stick with your floored mathematics and keep avoiding lessons from history. :wave:

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm
you stick with your floored mathematics and keep avoiding lessons from history. :wave:
And English.
Thanked by: pabenny

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm
macliam wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:50 am
Boro Boy wrote:

To spell it out (as it seems you may be incapable of logic) I was pointing out that Rees Mogg thinks that a 52% to 48% majority is a no-contest win, but a 63% to 37% win should be discounted. Today the ERG are still whingeing that this result shows that a third of Tory MPs don't back May and she should resign, whereas the slim margin in the referendum gives them carte-blanche to impose their anti-EU views.

Y̶o̶u̶r̶You're too aggressive and personally abusive - you stick with your f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶e̶d̶flawed mathematics and keep avoiding lessons from history. :wave:
FIFY - is English your first language?
Now to the content of your post. Your previous reply to my original post about the May confidence vote started with a cheery "Did you pass your O Level mathematics...!?!", presumably this was not "aggressive" or "personally abusive", but your attempt at banter, eh? Grow up. :roll:
My mathematics were not "floored" or even flawed, as I pointed out. But to answer your charming query, no I did not get "O" Level mathematics as it is not an international standard - I got leaving cert instead - oh, and a part-degree in statistics too.... though perhaps that does't prevent an (obvious) mistype (now corrected). The inference remains the same :oops:
Then to your parrot of the Thatcher comment (yes I also heard that comment last night) - as was pointed out today, the issues were substantively different and so it is no more a direct comparison than Julius Caesar being assassinated. Far from "avoiding" the "lessons of history" I was merely pointing out to you that your claim is irrelevant to the case in question.
Next.
Thanked by: Dream on