Turkeys say no to Christmas!!!

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Boro Boy

Turkeys say no to Christmas!!!

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Well thats just what could be expected isn't it?: https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-meps- ... u-11607596
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

Chadwick

Re: Turkeys say no to Christmas!!!

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 pm

What do we think happened?

a) Theresa May tried to seek a compromise agreement, and ended up with a botch job that satisfies no-one.

b) Theresa May presented an orderly way to withdraw, but it didn't go far enough for either side.

Both are generalisations. There are individual variations with every single one of us. But as a generalisation, what happened?
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

dorisifa

Post by dorisifa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 pm

The proposal to make a metal framed bridge with marzipan cladding was rejected by those who insist a marzipan bridge should be just marzipan, those who think more or less marzipan should be involved, and people who think marzipan is not a sensible building material.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick
But apart from that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 pm

I suspect That Brexit deadline will be extended
Seems unlikely that the Vote of no confidence will win
Nor that the EU Will conceed much of anything tangible
Lots of MPs feel ‘No deal’ is a V bad idea
But they can’t agree on an alternative.
We seem to have the bizarre scenario where the Brexiteers And Remoaners Are in Agreement
Thanked by: Chadwick
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 pm
Seems unlikely that the Vote of no confidence will win
Nor that the EU Will conceed much of anything tangible
We seem to have the bizarre scenario where the Brexiteers And Remoaners Are in Agreement
I suspect you're right - I don't see the answer and I don't have faith in any of the players.

May's "only deal" was not just rejected, but dismissed wholesale - and I can't see a few tweaks making any difference.

After a referendum where no two people voted for the same reasons, no single plan will satisfy anyone.

So, the tragedy continues......
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 am

Bit late when the real turkeys have already voted for Christmas as some are now realising. Still think a People's Vote would end up in a narrow win for leave as the pensioners (mainly leave voters) and the racists (all leave voters) will come out and vote. Probably the only time the racists bother to vote unless the BNP is standing and even then they cannot always be bothered. Remainers are probably less likely to vote as so many people are fed up with Brexit and when you have been to work all day and the polling station is so far away from you the will to vote can evaporate.

And I do mean the polling station is so far away for many people. I was at polling station once doing telling. Young woman came in with small children she had just picked up from quite a long way away only to be told she should have voted in the building opposite her children's school. She replied but I only live up the road. So close to a polling station but so far from the one she had to use. One vote lost that day
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm

macliam wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:58 pm
kevinchess1 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 pm
I suspect you're right - I don't see the answer and I don't have faith in any of the players.
Perhaps now the government will realise that they should have worked out what 'leave' meant before triggering Article 50.

As I see it, current realistic options (in my order of preference) are:
  • Extend Article 50, put Brexit on hold until we work out what we want. Actually think through the pros and cons of (for example) a Norwayish relationship, or just CU or EEA.
  • Negotiate a new deal with the EU, but still without having done any further consideration as to what would be the best outcome for the UK.
  • No deal.
If we're going to extend Article 50, then then there is the possibility of holding a 2nd referendum as part of that process.

Less realistic options (also in my order of preference) are:
  • The government/parliament works out that there is no upside to leaving, explains this clearly and we cancel Article 50.
  • 2nd Referendum. Find out what the will of the people is. Offer a range of options from Remain to No Deal; we rank them in order of preference, winner by single transferable vote.*

* Leave should win this in some form, unless there has been a genuine swing of opinion and Remain gets half of the vote - in which case Remain would have won a straight in/out vote too.
Thanked by: blythburgh