A majority of the country did not vote for Brexit

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

A majority of the country did not vote for Brexit

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

If you add the remain votes to the number of people who did not vote and therefore must have been happy to stay in the EU the percentage of brexiteers is very small. You might say those who did not vote do not count. But how often have we heard the words "silent majority"?

So how can any politician say the country voted for Brexit? Only a minority of voters voted for it, a slight majority of those who actually voted but not a majority of those on the electoral roll.

I will now take cover from the slings and arrows that will be directed at me :lol:
Thanked by: parchedpeas, gle1975
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Re: A majority of the country did not vote for Brexit

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am

Can make that argument for every election ever could also say that adding the Leave votes to the non votes would have led to an even bigger majority for Leaving
Our democracy is based on a ‘First passed the post’
So even one vote is enough to win a referendum
Thanked by: gherton, MrsXfile
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am

Lets have best of 5...!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:48 am

kevinchess1 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am
Can make that argument for every election ever could also say that adding the Leave votes to the non votes would have led to an even bigger majority for Leaving
Our democracy is based on a ‘First passed the post’
So even one vote is enough to win a referendum
One vote wins but does not mean the majority are in favour of it. Many, probably the majority of MP's are elected by a minority of those who actually voted. But they got more votes than any other candidate so are the MP. That is they way we work in this country. But I get fed up with any PM saying the country voted for (insert anything here) when we all vote for an MP on a range of things. Their party want ABC and we want A, can live with B but do not want C. But we go for them because they offer more of what we actually want than any other candidate.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am

One thing I am certain of is if there had been a "Norway+" option then few would have opted it. Seems to be what unites Remain and Leave voters, we do not want to obey the rules of the EU but have no say in the making of those rules.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:39 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am
If you add the remain votes to the number of people who did not vote and therefore must have been happy to stay in the EU the percentage of brexiteers is very small. You might say those who did not vote do not count. But how often have we heard the words "silent majority"?

So how can any politician say the country voted for Brexit? Only a minority of voters voted for it, a slight majority of those who actually voted but not a majority of those on the electoral roll.

I will now take cover from the slings and arrows that will be directed at me :lol:
On that basis we are just putting right what went wrong 40+ years ago as the majority of citizens did not vote to join the EEC :wtf:

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

A majority of the country did not vote to remain
Thanked by: Boro Boy, adamred6

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 pm

The point in the OP is what happens whenever turnout is significantly below 100%. On a 75% turnout you need over 2/3 of those voting in favour of the motion to be able to say that a majority of the electorate were in favour.

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Well, we can't be sure.

Let's do it again to be on the safe side.

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Oh good grief!

A majority in the country haven't voted for anything since, well I'm not sure, probably the 1931 General Election. :)
Thanked by: Boro Boy, adamred6