40 stores to close... (part 3)

Money, investing, mutuals etc
pabenny

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 3)

Post by pabenny » Fri Jan 25 2019 2:12pm

It probably depends on what, if any, alternative ID the person can prevent.

(this is considerable thread draft) We are more and more dependent on being able to prove our identity for all sorts of things and those who are “off grid” for whatever reason will find it increasingly difficult to access services and the necessities of life. Usually it’s a result of poverty, possibly combined with age/infirmity, disability.
Thanked by: Kelantan

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Jan 25 2019 3:04pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 9:15am
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 12:09am
I am sure we will regret the loss in the level service. "Service" seems to be something that many have forgotten all about.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”Oscar Wilde
People vote with their feet. Does not seem to be any regrets as yet apart from a whinging attention seeking few. The customer service online at my bank is second to none.
This is not just about banking. The put down about whinging does not deter those who want to voice the alternative to, and the problems of, a price only drive towards oblivion.

Already the Amazons/eBay's/Microsofts of this world are making it more and more difficult to speak with them if you have a problem outside of their FAQ lists. When this business phylosophy speads we will have problems indeed and "service" will truely be dead.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Jan 25 2019 3:11pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 12:11pm
pabenny wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 11:49am
William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 12:11pm
whinging attention seeking few..
The language is a bit harsh but it does seem that some people cover their own dislike of a change by complaining about the effect of on others. If most people were really bothered about having a local bank/House of Fraser/M&S, they’d all use them much more.
I chose my words caerfully and it was intended to be harsh.
Intentionally negative/aggressive to people. You appear to be not a nice person and you don't appear to have chosen (or spelt) your words very carefully at all. :wave:

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jan 25 2019 3:32pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 3:11pm
Intentionally negative/aggressive to people. You appear to be not a nice person and you don't appear to have chosen (or spelt) your words very carefully at all. :wave:
Off topic.
Thanked by: Kelantan

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Jan 25 2019 5:23pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 3:04pm
..This is not just about banking...
Already the Amazons/eBay's/Microsofts of this world are making it more and more difficult to speak with them if you have a problem outside of their FAQ lists. When this business phylosophy speads we will have problems indeed and "service" will truely be dead.
pabenny wrote:Online banking is far more convenient than having to schlep to a bank that's only open 9:30-4:00 on weekdays
Have you ever contacted amazon customer service? There is a button for them to call you - either "now" or "in two minutes" (or something like that). In my experience, the call agents are helpful and empowered and the service is excellent. Apple also have something similar.

Most of us aren't paying customers of Microsoft, Google etc. With eBay, most of the customer service issues arise because of a seller problem, not eBay themselves.

There are some organisations that are difficult to deal with online, just as there are in the physical world. But the shift from physical to virtual isn't of itself resulting in poorer service.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, Kelantan

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Fri Jan 25 2019 6:04pm

Boro Boy wrote:
I am sure we will regret the loss in the level service. "Service" seems to be something that many have forgotten all about.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”Oscar Wilde
As far as I'm concerned, both online shopping and online banking provide a better service than their offline equivalents.
Boro Boy wrote:
... The put down about whinging does not deter those who want to voice the alternative to, and the problems of, a price only drive towards oblivion.
I don't recall anyone 'voicing an alternative' on this thread. Do you have any suggestions? After all, how do you force people into going into a bank branch or a high street shop when they don't want to?
Thanked by: Richard Frost, Kelantan

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Jan 26 2019 12:07am

Constantine wrote:
Fri Jan 25 2019 6:04pm
Boro Boy wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, both online shopping and online banking provide a better service than their offline equivalents.
Boro Boy wrote:
... The put down about whinging does not deter those who want to voice the alternative to, and the problems of, a price only drive towards oblivion.
I don't recall anyone 'voicing an alternative' on this thread. Do you have any suggestions? After all, how do you force people into going into a bank branch or a high street shop when they don't want to?
I would have thought closing down high street shops and bank branches do kind of force people to use what ever alternative is offered - like it or not...!
Thanked by: blythburgh

planteria

Post by planteria » Sat Jan 26 2019 8:07am

you can't force them. town and city centres have developed into 'mixed use' destinations, with more eating out, more homes, in theory more leisure.. rather than just retail. landlords have tried to skew things that way to maintain the value of their assets. that makes sense as an investor. as does seeing the way the market is going, and backing online retail, potentially convenience retail for the grocers etc.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Jan 26 2019 8:43am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Jan 26 2019 12:07am
I would have thought closing down high street shops and bank branches do kind of force people to use what ever alternative is offered - like it or not...!
Indeed. And that's market forces at work.

If closures cause real hardship or disadvantage, it's right to seek measures that ameliorate that hardship. For example, basic banking services- bill payment, paying in cheques, withdrawing cash are available at post offices. That also helps keep post offices open (although with welfare payments made differently and many government services online, we need post offices less and less).

Kelantan

Post by Kelantan » Sat Jan 26 2019 9:33am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Jan 26 2019 12:07am
You have to take into account why they are being closed. People are not using them = uneconomical= closure. Its inevitable and will continue. Which is why the High Street has to change and adapt rather than continue as it is at the moment.
Thanked by: blythburgh, pabenny