New process?

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

Beachboy

New process?

Post by Beachboy » Thu Jan 24 2019 11:08am

(discussion split from here )

Still 6 members left to vote. There hasn't been any movement in voting numbers for several days now. It might be that the remaining members are still considering the options, which is obviously completely their prerogative because the poll does not close until late tomorrow afternoon, but an earlier decision if possible would be good. This because the current price for the first option is on the brink and any downward movement might rule this out for the short term at least even it is voted as the preferred option.

As an aside I feel a week for a vote of this nature seems too long and think we should strive to make a decision within a much quicker timeframe. For example currently we may end up waiting all week and some or maybe all of the remaining members still might not choose to vote. If that situation transpires then we could have conducted our business much quicker. That would be advantageous because a lot can happen to share prices in a week. Anyway just my thought. Any other members agree or disagree?

blythburgh

Re: POLL SELL: United Utilities [UU.]

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 24 2019 11:10am

Seems to me the date between buy/sell polls need to be shorter.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Jan 24 2019 11:32am

I hoped that this could have been done more quickly, but the bigger problem for me is that we're jumping off one share without any idea of what we're going to jump on to.

We urgently need to review the decision making process: it's not working as it stands and I think we should look at formalising the dates that we propose / vote / buy / sell, as detailed previously. Drifting is not helping anybody.

garindan

Post by garindan » Thu Jan 24 2019 12:49pm

Beachboy wrote: Still 6 members left to vote.
I think it is 4 to be fair. I am one. I have been thinking about it all week. I'm still undecided to be honest and if I vote against it has no effect but if I vote for it will. Hence my dilemma!
Beachboy wrote: As an aside I feel a week for a vote of this nature seems too long and think we should strive to make a decision within a much quicker timeframe. For example currently we may end up waiting all week and some or maybe all of the remaining members still might not choose to vote. If that situation transpires then we could have conducted our business much quicker. That would be advantageous because a lot can happen to share prices in a week. Anyway just my thought. Any other members agree or disagree?
This is the first time voting on a purchase/sale has taken an extended time - perhaps the reason I have given above is why? I'm not sure. Most of the delays we have seen previously has been us as a club getting in order to make a decision whether or not to have a vote on something, which is different I think.

I take your point though - a week is too long but making it 24hrs would most likely not have helped in this case either.
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

garindan

Post by garindan » Thu Jan 24 2019 1:30pm

parchedpeas wrote: I hoped that this could have been done more quickly, but the bigger problem for me is that we're jumping off one share without any idea of what we're going to jump on to.
I agree entirely.

parchedpeas wrote:We urgently need to review the decision making process: it's not working as it stands and I think we should look at formalising the dates that we propose / vote / buy / sell, as detailed previously. Drifting is not helping anybody.
We could do this but I think it is only relevant to the shares we are looking to make a profit on through price changes - like Medica. We shouldn't really be looking to sell a long-term share every month etc...

I mentioned a month or two ago that perhaps we should be looking at tipsters recommendations from 6 months or more ago and think about investing in something they have suggested. I said we could identify some sources and then bring them together to review, like underdog has done with his weekly watch list. This didn't seem to go anywhere unfortunately.

I'm thinking perhaps we could look at it another way. What if we had two types of vote each month. First would be a sell or hold vote for each of the riskier shares. Then if there is at least £525 in the cash kitty we hold a purchase vote for each and every "lot" of £525 available to invest (or we could agree a figure higher than this). This vote would be for companies suggested as investment tips from tipsters, from a period of months ago. Hopefully there will be about 3 company choices from each article. We don't have to go looking for the shares to invest in, hence this solves our major issue of getting suggestions. The vote would be simply select the share you would like to invest in or none. Any votes of over 50% would be carried forward in action.

The thing we would need to do in this case is still identify tipster sources, and agree an order of preference, so if we have two votes X's tips are in the first vote and Y's tips in the second.

I'm not sure if this has merit or not. We can discuss.

pieman

Post by pieman » Sat Jan 26 2019 7:24am

I think something garindan suggests is worth looking at....
Thanked by: garindan, blythburgh

garindan

Post by garindan » Mon Jan 28 2019 10:29am

garindan wrote:We can discuss.
...or not, it seems?
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 28 2019 10:42am

Why are you lot in the club? garindan makes some excellent points that need to be discussed by you all but all I see is nowt
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jan 28 2019 10:49am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Jan 28 2019 10:42am
Why are you lot in the club? garindan makes some excellent points that need to be discussed by you all but all I see is nowt
And that is the problem. And why more people do not join. And why money is being lost and not made. And why there is stagnation. And it goes on and on. Still if the members are willing to continue to lose money? It is theirs after all.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Mon Jan 28 2019 1:20pm

garindan wrote:
Mon Jan 28 2019 10:29am
garindan wrote:We can discuss.
...or not, it seems?
With respect it was only posted on Thursday and we were already in the middle of trying to conclude the UU vote. I cannot speak for other members but I have been busy all weekend and not near a computer. I have scanned Imutual posts on my phone but I do not find that an appropriate way to join a discussion with any meaningful information. I actually like your suggestions and would be generally supportive of such an approach.

:thumbup:
Thanked by: garindan, blythburgh