Weather

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Weather

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 am

We are getting off lightly in this country but parts of Europe and now North America and Siberia are having extreme winter weather.

I blame this on the Brexit effect. ;)

And why does Wetherspoon think I need a thick magazine delivered with my post? I had not opened it, the front is all about Brexit and no doubt full of Brexit lies inside. Like the large poster he had in his Beccles branch that after B day beer would be cheaper. A lie. I know it is a lie because the man himself was on the radio saying beer prices would have to rise and blamed everything but Brexit for this.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1

Re: Wetherspoons

Post by William Joseph1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 am
And why does Wetherspoon think I need a thick magazine delivered with my post? I had not opened it, the front is all about Brexit and no doubt full of Brexit lies inside. Like the large poster he had in his Beccles branch that after B day beer would be cheaper. A lie. I know it is a lie because the man himself was on the radio saying beer prices would have to rise and blamed everything but Brexit for this.
I also got one of these and have not read it, I did leave it to one side to read later and then after skimming through it thought I just do not have the time to sit down with it and look at it in depth.

I find it amazing that a private company can afford to cover the costs of printing and distributing this type of rubbish. It is no wonder that he says the price of his beer will go up.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Re: Weather

Post by pabenny » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm

I haven't seen the magazine but Wetherspoons are entitled to produce and distribute it as long as it contains no unlawful content.

The company is profitable and has the resources to produce the magazine. Tim Martin has been vocal on the subject since before the referendum. He founded Wetherspoons, owns more than 30% and he largely calls the shots.

As for beer prices changing after Brexit, they could easily drop prices on 30 March for a short while and then let them creep back afterwards. Will beer prices inevitably rise? The pub price of a pint is influenced by numerous factors - property costs, wage costs, excise duty, VAT rates - as well as by competition. These are not directly linked to membership of the EU* and could change in either direction following Brexit - or not at all.

(* the EU does set permitted bands for VAT but there remains considerable scope for national variation)

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:46 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:55 am

And why does Wetherspoon think I need a thick magazine delivered with my post?
Put a match to it and keep warm :thumbup:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 am

Just been talking on the phone to a friend and mentioned Wetherspoons. My friend is a widower and eats out on a regular basis usually at independent cafes or pubs. He has been into "The" Joseph Conrad" in town because the person he was with wanted to go there. He had a meal once, it was no better than OK but expensive. And he would never go in by himself as he considers the local cemetery has more atmosphes than the pub.

Not struggling into town and pay to park so not tried it myself. The one in Beccles where we do pay to park and shop is another one I have no interest in trying when I know we get a good meal at a reasonable price in the local independent cafes. And I am not talking about a greasy spoon either as we never go to those places.
Thanked by: stockportcounty
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:20 am

So we have been inundated with views of the dreadful winter weather in the USA. Oddly Canada does not seem to have been affected or is it just the TV news cannot be bothered with a member of the Commonwealth?

Same as Australia. appallingly high temperatures and then monsoon floods so bad one dam had to be opened flooding many homes in the nearby town. According to the radio news there were Crocs in the streets and I am not talking about footwear.

I did see a brief glimpse of the tragic results of the opening of the dam but that was in a piece about global warming predictions.

But then again floods and excessive heat in a Commonwealth country is of no interest to the great British Public but we all care when one American floods their kitchen don't we?

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:43 pm

As is oft stated "all news is local". Australia is a long way away and you're right, we don't really care about it. As for the Commonwealth, most would agree it's Good Thing, but few other than the Queen really care about it.

USA? Well culturally, perhaps it's our nearest neighbour. Think of all the movies, TV shows, etc that we see. On the surface, we seem to have more in common with them than with countries that are a shorter distance away.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:26 pm

The priority of news depends very much on how it affects the people receiving the news, and what else is going on locally. In the same way that looking at someone else's holiday photos is never as much fun for you as for them.

The novelty factor is also important: "Canada in cold weather shock" is not going to have us glued to the 6 o'clock news. Whereas for parts of the US, this is an unusual occurrence and they are suffering in the way that the UK does when we get 2 inches of snow overnight.
Thanked by: blythburgh