I love the odd letters/messages to the papers

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

I love the odd letters/messages to the papers

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:47 am

I read the Eastern Daily Press online the other day and it had a bit about the deadlock over a dangerous bit of road. It has been claimed that the road outside of Pontins of Pakefield needs a Pelican crossing so holidaymakers and staff can get across the road to catch the bus to Beccles. So far nobody can agree on what should be done.

Pontins is actually in Gisleham but the original Holiday Camp was built in the grounds of Pakefield Hall hence the name. And the road is the busy A12.

But (disgusted) of Tonbridge Wells messaged to say they expected Archant (EDP owners) to get their facts right pointing out the A12 had been changed to the A47 at Lowestoft.

But the piece was about the A12 at Gisleham a village adjoining Lowestoft and the A12 was only renamed from the centre of Lowestoft.

The reason the A12 was remaned the A47, which originally ended at Great Yarmouth, was to increase ecomonic benefits to Lowestoft. It cost a mere £750,000 so hope it works.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Re: I love the odd letters/messages to the papers

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:54 am

And in Friday's local rag one woman talks about the closure of the Beales Dept. store in the town. She blames people for not using the store for the closure and wonders how Beales which is merging with Palmers can fit a quart into a pint pot. She is correct with the closure of Claires and The Body Shop which are not renewing their leases but she only mentions Beales.

Beales has brought the Palmers dept. store group which would mean the town not only had 3 dept. stores but 2 of them would be owned by the same group. And most of what Beales sell is also sold by Palmers so nothing is really going to be lost. So no need to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 am

Local news from the local rag about the local shop for local people...

Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 am

Ah a photo of the good people of Great Yarmouth

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:44 am

Sarah wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 am
Local news from the local rag about the local shop for local people...

Haven't they escaped from: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85757
Thanked by: blythburgh