Government Petition: Link Available

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Government Petition: Link Available

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm

The start of that slippery slope to deregulate Drugs has started which will make drugs legal to buy and use; the end of civilisation, well perhaps not but the start of an awful mess for a lot of families for sure!

There is a Government Public Petition you may want to sign to express your thoughts, see: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231109 :thumbup:
Thanked by: blythburgh

Derbiean

Re: Government Petition: Link Available

Post by Derbiean » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Alcohol, you should probably start there :think:

"cannabis is a common factor in hundreds of violent crimes that have occurred in the UK and Ireland in the past two decades."

Alcohol 'could kill 210,000 in next 20 years'
Monday February 20 2012

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/a ... -20-years/

In 2015/16 in England, victims believed the offender(s) to be under the influence of alcohol in 39% of all violent incidents.

https://alcoholchange.org.uk/alcohol-fa ... statistics

Priorities and all.
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Well
If you want to talk 'Priorities'
then you need to ban cigarettes
Easily a bigger killer than Alchol and drugs combined
Just saying
Thanked by: pakefield, blythburgh, Derbiean
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm
The start of that slippery slope to deregulate Drugs has started which will make drugs legal to buy and use; the end of civilisation, well perhaps not but the start of an awful mess for a lot of families for sure!

There is a Government Public Petition you may want to sign to express your thoughts, see: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231109 :thumbup:
An interesting knee-jerk - and, to be clear, the petition suggests moves to decriminalize marijuana, NOT to "deregulate Drugs" in general, so let's wind back the level of hysteria. :roll:

Where, pray, is "The start of that slippery slope to deregulate Drugs"? :eh: Not in the UK, where the government baulks at the idea of decriminalizing possession, let alone deregulating or legalizing anything. Imagine all those homicidal maniacs roaming Canada now that it has legalized cannabis..... it must be Hell on Earth!! Decriminalizing possession of drugs (not just cannabis) in Portugal has actually seen the incidence of drug-related issues decrease substantially since it was implemented in 2001 and is viewed as a resounding success. Drug use is treated as a social/medical issue, not a crime, which means that the authorities can intervene to reduce the incidence of associated issues - and to concentrate on stopping the "big fish", not the users.

The document attached to the petition seems to have many links to newspaper articles about suicides (less fact than emotion), and a few on violent crime... sad, but hardly anything to suggest a cannabis-inspired crimewave. Perhaps there should also be an enquiry into the known links between alcohol abuse and suicide and/or crime. Both will show that often people who commit suicides have other issues - and use intoxication as a relief measure - and that any form of intoxication changes judgement. This is not the same as saying that smoking dope will increase suicide risk or make you Jack the Ripper any more than claiming that drinking half a pint of shandy will.

By all means ask for an enquiry - but I think attention to the findings of other systems would help more than exaggerated hysteria.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

parchedpeas

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Horse riding kills more people than ecstasy and gambling destroys more families than cannabis.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Panic not, the maybot has enough on her plate already and this would be at the very bottom of any pile. If anyone thinks that Cannabis is about to be legalised/deregulated or even the suggestion taken seriously by anyone in government then they seriously really ought to stop smoking it.

But the petition is asking for an inquiry into the link with violence. Not sure where that sits with a move to decriminalise it. Have I missed something? Seem to me that the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill.
Thanked by: pakefield
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm

An interesting knee-jerk - and, to be clear, the petition suggests moves to decriminalize marijuana, NOT to "deregulate Drugs" in general, so let's wind back the level of hysteria. :roll: ...

Why always take things so literally? It's the slippery slope I was referring to...!

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm

I have said on this site many times over the years that air pollution is probably one of the biggest killers and cause of illness . People are just about beginning to realise this ,but even though there are meant to be "targets" and laws ,nothing is ever done about it

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:47 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm
I have said on this site many times over the years that air pollution is probably one of the biggest killers and cause of illness . People are just about beginning to realise this ,but even though there are meant to be "targets" and laws ,nothing is ever done about it
I tend to agree but the image comes across as preaching usually from bearded, fag/vape smoking, green/left wingers who many find difficult to conform with.
Thanked by: expressman33

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 pm
Why always take things so literally? It's the slippery slope I was referring to...!
Any "slippery slope" is only in your fevered imagination - why do you always exaggerate or misrepresent the facts? There is no move to change the drugs laws, let alone deregulate drugs in general - even the petition you refer to only talks of "calls for the legalisation of cannabis", presumably due to the recent changes in Canada. I note you ignore the fact that other legislatures have already tackled this issue..... or do you think that either Portugal or Canada changed their laws without considering the impact?
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me