£300 Emergency Brexit Box

Media articles about money-saving topics
William Joseph1

£300 Emergency Brexit Box

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 pm

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/people- ... shortages/

Someone is making money out of the whole shenanigans.
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Re: £300 Emergency Brexit Box

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Reminds me a little of the 'Milenuim bug'
Thrains would stop, hospitals woumd close and planes would faLL out of the sky :shock:
Never happen
Politically incorrect since 69

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 pm
https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/people- ... shortages/

Someone is making money out of the whole shenanigans.
Is there cashback on this?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm
Thrains would stop, hospitals woumd close and planes would faLL out of the sky :shock:
Never happen
Ummmmm... I was VERY involved in millennium proofing BTs infrastructure, a lot of money was spent and man-hours worked to swap out equipment and re-code systems, to ensure there was not a problem. Pre-millennium equipment and systems largely worked on a 2-digit year, so were unable to differentiate between 1901 and 2001- that was the "bug" and it impacted time/date calculations. Had the issue not have been resolved, any systems relying on such calculations were liable to failure. So would you have suggested doing nothing, and just waiting to see what would happen?

Brexit is similar. There are issues that need to be resolved to avoid major disruption to what people consider "normal". First you have to identify the issues, then you need to deal with them - just closing your eyes and jumping off a cliff won't cut it.

Of course, those who have parachutes don't care.....
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am

macliam wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm
kevinchess1 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm
Never happen
Ummmmm... I was VERY involved in millennium proofing BTs infrastructure, a lot of money was spent and man-hours worked to swap out equipment and re-code systems, to ensure there was not a problem. Pre-millennium equipment and systems largely worked on a 2-digit year, so were unable to differentiate between 1901 and 2001- that was the "bug" and it impacted time/date calculations. Had the issue not have been resolved, any systems relying on such calculations were liable to failure. So would you have suggested doing nothing, and just waiting to see what would happen?

Brexit is similar. There are issues that need to be resolved to avoid major disruption to what people consider "normal". First you have to identify the issues, then you need to deal with them - just closing your eyes and jumping off a cliff won't cut it.

Of course, those who have parachutes don't care.....
You have hit the nail on the head.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 am

We have an emergency brexit box or in other words the usual well stocked kitchen and fridge/freezer.

As for May/Corbyn I have lost patience with both of them. They are playing politics and looking towards their historical legacy rather than what is best for the country.
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 pm

FWIW, I took the expert tip and I've stocked up on most of the following:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/11 ... or-brexit/

I've budgeted a cool £1,000 to keep me going and as usual shopped between Tesco, Asda and Lidl to get the very best prices for each and every item.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 pm
FWIW, I took the expert tip and I've stocked up on most of the following:

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/11 ... or-brexit/

I've budgeted a cool £1,000 to keep me going and as usual shopped between Tesco, Asda and Lidl to get the very best prices for each and every item.
Selfish iIdiot! I can remember many years ago we had a shortage of loo rolls in particular but also kitchen paper. A friend went to visit someone in a town just 9 miles away. The lady was very surprised that my friend was pleased to see loo rolls on sale. Unobtainable in our town due to idiots stocking up due to the supposed shortage.

A couple of years later a neighbour opened her kitchen cupboard and when I looked surprised at the amount of kitchen paper there she said she had more elsewhere. She had stocked up during the "shortage".

Like that woman and others you are creating shortages not dealing with them.

We will go shopping on Monday, any tins used will be replaced by the same number we used. Packets and frozen foods will only be bought if we are getting towards the end of the packet. The rest we will leave for others rather than greedily causing then to go without.
Thanked by: Dream on, William Joseph1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am

The supermarkets are already buying in extra canned and dry goods where they feel it is a possibility there might be a need. It is totally selfish and unnecessary for individuals to plan in this way. It says a lot about the individual and the way our country has become/is going.
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 am

And the selfish few seem to already be causing problems. For the last two weeks an item has been out of stock. The nice Tesco employee checked and said none was due in. She remarked they were getting more and more empty spaces. Whether this is caused by Jo/e Public buying up excessively or the supply chain holding stock back just in case is debatable of course.
Thanked by: William Joseph1