window 10 update and now no sound from speakers

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

window 10 update and now no sound from speakers

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

We had an update and lost the sound on the speakers. 'im indoors did try to fix it and in the end only by putting back the machine to a pre update could he make it work.

Unfortunately we know have the same update again and no sound from the speakers.

It is a "critical" update so not amused.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

timco

Re: window 10 update and now no sound from speakers

Post by timco » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Has the update messed with the settings or do you need to download up-to-date drivers for it?

I lost my sound after an update but downloading the drivers sorted it out.
Thanked by: expressman33

MP3746

Post by MP3746 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Please supply me with the update KB number if you have it and please confirm if you have Intel Audio Driver installed (press Windows key and type Device Manager followed by Enter) If you don't have KB number, can you confirm if your Windows version is 1809? Press Windows key and type winver followed by Enter to determine Windows version. I will get back to you tomorrow to explain once I have the details. Alternatively, if you wish to have a go at self-repair, search in Google for Intel SST audio and Windows 1809 if you have the Intel Audio driver installed AND winver reports Windows version 1809.

I suspect the Windows update is the much maligned upgrade of Windows to version 1809 and there are issues with Intel audio because Intel have been accessing undocumented features of Windows, much to the chagrin of Microsoft. Users who are affected in this way should have had the update blocked by Microsoft Windows Update so I'm not sure how your situation arose but let's have all the details first.
Thanked by: expressman33, RonFlorabud

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks, discovered they had done driver updates and so all I need to do is update the speaker driver and all will be well, hopefully. Not like the good old pre windows days lol

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am

Apparently we have sound back but not had a survey that needs it yet (not got that far lol) so listening to Radio 4 on radio and not turned on speakers. Phew, lovely to have such a great husband
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler