Resigning

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Resigning

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:42 pm

7 MPs, that believe in remaining in the EU and changing it from the inside are leaving their party because they don't believe in changing it from the inside.
That's not all, they are campaigning for a 'People's Vote' on Brexit but won't have by elections to see if their constituents still want them as MPs.

Yep No irony there then
Politically incorrect since 69

expressman33

Re: Resigning

Post by expressman33 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 pm

If any MP resigns from the party that they were elected under ,then I believe there should be a new bye (by) election
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:42 pm
7 MPs, that believe in remaining in the EU and changing it from the inside are leaving their party because they don't believe in changing it from the inside.
That's not all, they are campaigning for a 'People's Vote' on Brexit but won't have by elections to see if their constituents still want them as MPs.

Yep No irony there then
Not so different from the ERG who call themselves Tories, but cause a defeat of their party by abstaining from votes. All's fair in love and politics....
expressman33 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 pm
If any MP resigns from the party that they were elected under ,then I believe there should be a new bye (by) election
Under the British electoral system you vote for the person, not the party. This is a longstanding tradition as political parties are a relatively recent occurrence. Leaving a party is merely resigning the whip, so the MP cannot be forced to vote on party lines. Whether or not it may be morally right to stand for re-election is a different matter - but such people normally convince themselves that they have remained true to the platform on which they were elected.

If you want a parliament controlled by parties, then you need to go for some form of proportional representation, such as PR-STV, where seats are divided amongst the parties according to the number of votes attained by that party (as in Ireland and Portugal). In this system, individual candidates are ranked within their parties and so if 2 seats are due to party A and 3 seats to party B, the first and second ranked candidates for party A get seats as do the first three ranked candidates for party B. Of course, that brings with it a whole host of other issues......
Thanked by: blythburgh, pabenny
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 am

I am sorry that the Gang of 7 have resigned the Labour whip. Better to stay and fight for the soul of the party. And if, and when in some cases, are deselected then the country can see what happens when the hard left are in charge of Labour.

I could vote for some Labour candidates to be my Councillor or even MP but I could not vote for any Labour candidate to be my MP given the current leadership. But will there be any Labour MP's I could consider voting for by the time the next General Election is called?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:00 am

macliam wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Under the British electoral system you vote for the person, not the party. This is a longstanding tradition as political parties are a relatively recent occurrence.
That may be the case, but I would bet there are many people who can't remember the name of the person they voted for ,but they do know which party they voted for
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 am

expressman33 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:00 am
macliam wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Under the British electoral system you vote for the person, not the party. This is a longstanding tradition as political parties are a relatively recent occurrence.
That may be the case, but I would bet there are many people who can't remember the name of the person they voted for ,but they do know which party they voted for
If you voted for your MP then most will know their name. If you voted for a losing you candidate you probably have forgotten their name unless they are pushing in the local media etc to be your next MP.

But why should these MP's resign when so many have crossed the floor before and joined a different party without a bye-election? They have resigned the Labour whip, they stand by the values and ethics that they did when elected. They have not joined a different party, they are just refusing to obey the dictats of a leadership they cannot in conscience obey.

A LIbDem who wants to remain in the EU has resigned the party whip because he of what he promised his electorate. I see no reason why he should resign from Parliament either. And if, as rumoured, a couple or more Tory MP's resign the whip, why should they resign either? And I would say the same if they were ERG group members who joined the new "UKIP" party, name of new party forgotten or have they yet to announce it?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler