QUESTION: Ambush interview or valid £75M Bonus question...?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: QUESTION: Ambush interview or valid £75M Bonus question...?

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am

The media has made it clear time and time again that he got the pay bonus because of rules set in place a few years ago by the board and approved by shareholders. It is not his fault it was given the money and charity will benefit from a lot of the money.

The ones who should be held to account is not the man who got the money but the people who made the decision and then never reviewed it.

And Persimmon also does its bit for charity,often supporting by grant the smaller charity and group that finds it hard to get money.
Thanked by: William Joseph1, Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

pabenny wrote:Curiously we don't have similar outrage when a sportsman or entertainer is paid large sums. Nor an expectation that they will waive some of their remuneration or make large charitable donations. Some (Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd..) continue to bilk fans with high prices for tickets, repackaged product, etc.
Strangely enough, I do do feel outraged by this at all. He agreed a deal within his contract which is perfectly normal for a person of his status. (Whether that is right or wrong is another matter) The next year the government introduces an incentive for house building and Persimmon does exceptionally well. He pockets a fortune as a result. Fair enough! The morals around all this are completely separate and should that type of deal be allowed in the first place. So rather than looking at the individual, one should look at how these big businesses operate. Perhaps that should include Footballers and other sportsman as well. Morally how can it be right to have such extremes in society that the lower end have to go to Food Banks.
Thanked by: blythburgh, pabenny, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 am

Housebuilder Persimmon's profits top £1bn

Story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47368308
Thanked by: Dream on, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 am
Housebuilder Persimmon's profits top £1bn

Story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47368308
Perhaps this is one that should have been considered by the share club...!

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am
Perhaps this is one that should have been considered by the share club...!
There was a hint of that in weekend reports that Persimmon's participation in Help to Buy was under government scrutiny - a hint strong enough to send the shares down nearly 5%.

If the hint were to turn into reality, the Persimmon money machine would judder to a halt.
Yes. another possible loss to be added to their current tale of woes. The secret would be to get out before the share price fell. Do you have confidence in them to do that? On past performance, I don't!

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 am

Yes, rather like closing the door after the horse has bolted... but how was it missed from the clubs scrutiny? It would have been good to have ridden the wave while it was there...

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am

I heard on BBC Look East the problems people were finding with their new builds. Whether or not Persimmon were amongst those building shoddy, not fit for purpose homes I am not sure. But I also heard that the Govt help to buy scheme which ends in a couple of years might remove Persimmon from the scheme due to the quality of their buildings.

And they are amongst the builders who sell leasehold homes and that could be the next PPI scandal forcing firms to set aside huge amounts of money to refund the homeowners who have been ripped off.

So maybe not one to be buying now.
Thanked by: William Joseph1, Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:02 am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am
I heard on BBC Look East the problems people were finding with their new builds. Whether or not Persimmon were amongst those building shoddy, not fit for purpose homes I am not sure. But I also heard that the Govt help to buy scheme which ends in a couple of years might remove Persimmon from the scheme due to the quality of their buildings.

And they are amongst the builders who sell leasehold homes and that could be the next PPI scandal forcing firms to set aside huge amounts of money to refund the homeowners who have been ripped off.

So maybe not one to be buying now.
I find myself agreeing with you in worrying for the future of some timber frame buildings with brick skin; particularly of concern is this type of construction where it is used amazingly for 6, 7 or 8 floors high... Imagine what permanent damage could be done when that washing machine on the top floor leaks and is not dealt with for some time... All that twisted timber and possible rot not dealt with - doesn't bear thinking about the future problems being built into these types of construction, let alone the additionally bodging which may compound future issues...!!!
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:47 am

The Look East homes were traditional build ones but shoddily built. But I can see your point Boro Boy.