What ever happened to....

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:12 pm

What ever happened to: Merchant of the Week, News Letter (emails), Yearly Share Certificate, etc. I thought now that Richard was back we would see these various little additions that keep the less active members active...

So how are things coming along Richard, how about an update developments? I can see a few more new merchants have been added but that just means the search /filter facility needs updating if they are to be accessed properly...

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 pm

The Caption competition?
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Re: What ever happened to....

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:18 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 pm
The Caption competition?
Yes another blast from the past! But do you think it was regularly used by more than a handful of members?
Thanked by: blythburgh

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:18 pm
William Joseph1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 pm
The Caption competition?
Yes another blast from the past! But do you think it was regularly used by more than a handful of members?
Not very different from the amount of people who have entered the 9 millionth transaction competition in the last 6 months then?
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Good question. Although to be fair, it's also worth noting some things that *have* happened
- major server migration
- conversion to https
- a long list of added merchants - over 200 in February and a similar number in January
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Stranglers wrote: Leon Trotsky?
He got an ice pick
That made his ears burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMxY4qjsMI
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:55 pm

The caption competition, like the quizzes and all the other "community" threads may not have attracted huge numbers of posters - but how many "viewers"? Such things are anchors for the forums.... and I miss them.

However, I guess another member could restart the competition and run it like kev runs his quizzes - if they have that level of dedication. Any volunteers? :eh:

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:07 pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:55 pm
The caption competition, like the quizzes and all the other "community" threads may not have attracted huge numbers of posters - but how many "viewers"? Such things are anchors for the forums.... and I miss them.

However, I guess another member could restart the competition and run it like kev runs his quizzes - if they have that level of dedication. Any volunteers? :eh:
Certainly not me. I am of the opinion that the competitions have no real value in attracting new members or retaining existing ones. They seem to be frequented by a few regular handful of members who are likely to use imutual regardless of whether they are there or not.

However in their favour they do generate a sense of community and help create a feel of being
current
to the forum and although I do not do them. I would grudgingly admit that I would miss them if they were not here.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:29 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:07 pm
macliam wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Certainly not me. I am of the opinion that the competitions have no real value in attracting new members or retaining existing ones. They seem to be frequented by a few regular handful of members who are likely to use imutual regardless of whether they are there or not.

However in their favour they do generate a sense of community and help create a feel of being current to the forum and although I do not do them. I would grudgingly admit that I would miss them if they were not here.
I'll take grudging...... :D
Some of the comments that used to be generated by the caption comp were really good and current - and, as always, spurred side-posts on occasion. As for attracting or retaining members - what you say may be true, but you can only provide the tools, you can't force people to use them...

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Each to their own.

No need to cease things as long as members are taking part.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club