New season

Discussions on current sporting events, news etc
stockportcounty
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm
Has thanked: 2383 times
Been thanked: 253 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by stockportcounty » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:47 pm

stockportcounty wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:12 pm
Stockport County start with a 5-1 win against F.C. United of Manchester, and are top of the league :thumbup:
Back on top and 21 matches undefeated :D :D :D

https://www.flashscore.com/team/stockpo ... r/results/
Thanked by: blythburgh, Boro Boy
If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

Boro Boy
Posts: 3932
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 2118 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 am

stockportcounty wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:47 pm
stockportcounty wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:12 pm
Stockport County start with a 5-1 win against F.C. United of Manchester, and are top of the league :thumbup:
Back on top and 21 matches undefeated :D :D :D

https://www.flashscore.com/team/stockpo ... r/results/
I remember Boro playing against County many moons ago one Xmas period in the new (at the time) Riverside Stadium. I was up in Middlesbrough over the Christmas time and managed to see a couple of home matches. I recall beating County but didn't realise County had fallen through the leagues so far since then... Looks like they may be on the way back but it must be a hard ladder to climb!!! :thumbup:
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 14490
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30255 times
Been thanked: 5866 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:18 am

I am sure when we were all young and there was no Premier League it was an easier ladder to climb. Money went down the leagues in a much fairer way than today. Nowadays football is awash with cash but most of it stays with the Premier League and a huge amount of that goes to the players. Lower leagues get crumbs these days.

And that cannot be good for the game of football at all levels IMHO.

Not asking for the good old days when you retired and if you were lucky you could afford to buy a back street pub.

Ipswich wants to raise money for a statue to Kevin Beattie, one of the greats according to 'im indoors. Kevin was born into poverty and died relatively poor. Nobody from the top two tiers at least these days would be in such a state unless they are stupid with their money.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 3932
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 2118 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:32 am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:18 am
I am sure when we were all young and there was no Premier League it was an easier ladder to climb. Money went down the leagues in a much fairer way than today. Nowadays football is awash with cash but most of it stays with the Premier League and a huge amount of that goes to the players. Lower leagues get crumbs these days.

And that cannot be good for the game of football at all levels IMHO.

Not asking for the good old days when you retired and if you were lucky you could afford to buy a back street pub.

Ipswich wants to raise money for a statue to Kevin Beattie, one of the greats according to 'im indoors. Kevin was born into poverty and died relatively poor. Nobody from the top two tiers at least these days would be in such a state unless they are stupid with their money.
Whilst its all about the clubs history and I understand that, if I was an Ipswich Town fan I would want all efforts to be put into not going down and staying in the Championship...

Once a club is relegated it can be a disaster to their finances, crippling in fact if they are left with players with high paying contracts and much less money coming in. Administration suddenly appears on the horizon and good management in some cases just disappears as well; you only need to look at the Boltons, Leyton Orients etc. and a long list of others.

blythburgh
Posts: 14490
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30255 times
Been thanked: 5866 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 am

Ipswich is doomed,even the fans are starting to accept that. The owner is an incredibly rich man who uses the club to reduce his tax bill. If you take into account the loans to him then Ipswich Town are a basket case. A sad state of affairs for a team that can count Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson amongst its long term managers.

The fans turned on the last manager who had worked miracles with little money. They then got a manager from a lower division who was given peanuts to buy in new players. They now have the man who took Norwich City down to League 1 (not all his fault) and back to the Championship the following season. I always knew Lambert would walk out on us when he got a supposedly better offer which he did. I can only hope he does not get a better offer in the next couple of years and gets Ipswich back into the Championship. But he will need all his skill and probably more money than he gets to do it and match Norwich City's performance since the black year we were in League One
Thanked by: Boro Boy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 3932
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 2118 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:48 am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 am
Ipswich is doomed,even the fans are starting to accept that. The owner is an incredibly rich man who uses the club to reduce his tax bill. If you take into account the loans to him then Ipswich Town are a basket case. A sad state of affairs for a team that can count Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson amongst its long term managers.

The fans turned on the last manager who had worked miracles with little money. They then got a manager from a lower division who was given peanuts to buy in new players. They now have the man who took Norwich City down to League 1 (not all his fault) and back to the Championship the following season. I always knew Lambert would walk out on us when he got a supposedly better offer which he did. I can only hope he does not get a better offer in the next couple of years and gets Ipswich back into the Championship. But he will need all his skill and probably more money than he gets to do it and match Norwich City's performance since the black year we were in League One
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!!! Careful Ipswich Town FC don't get relegated and then just keep falling...!

I wonder if he smiled when he hear "The Town" was relegated?: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/mick- ... s-downfall :crazy:
Last edited by Boro Boy on Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blythburgh
Posts: 14490
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 30255 times
Been thanked: 5866 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:32 am

Many Canaries would cheer at that but in this house it would be treated with sadness. I find it so sad that once great clubs have such debts they struggle at lower levels and too often are forced into being wound up and can only come back the hard way with a new name.

Or worse, they are bought by a new owner who moves the club miles away and steals the nickname. When the new Wimbledon played MK Dons they were not allowed to call themselves Dons in any way. But I can only cheer the fact that the real Wimbledon fans have achieved league status once more against all the odds. Look forward to the day they are in a higher league that MK Dons or Milton Keynes as I often call the club
Thanked by: Boro Boy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 3932
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 2118 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Ipswich Town FC are predicted to be relegated this weekend!

What would Alf Ramsey, Jackie Milburn, Bobby Robson and Roy Keane!!! say??? And most of all Mick McCarthy!?! Every knowledgeable Ipswich fan must know they made a mistake getting rid of Mick, he did a remarkable job on a troublesome bank balance...

A team now in danger of continuing to drop...
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

Derbiean
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 538 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by Derbiean » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Iirc Keane doesn't like McCarthy so he'll probably say it's his fault somehow :eh: Its no surprise given the poor decision to let him go and then appoint a new guy , tell him he can bring his style of play and recruitment (young players only we have no money strategy) then panic at the first sign of trouble, sack him and replace him with a poor man's McCarthy (Lambert :lol: ).

Bristol slipped up against the Villa so both our clubs are chasing them down :thumbup:

Boro Boy
Posts: 3932
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 2118 times
Contact:

Re: New season

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Derbiean wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm
Iirc Keane doesn't like McCarthy so he'll probably say it's his fault somehow :eh: Its no surprise given the poor decision to let him go and then appoint a new guy , tell him he can bring his style of play and recruitment (young players only we have no money strategy) then panic at the first sign of trouble, sack him and replace him with a poor man's McCarthy (Lambert :lol: ).

Bristol slipped up against the Villa so both our clubs are chasing them down :thumbup:

For every team that goes down another is promoted so goodbye to Ipswich and it looks like they will be replaced by Luton... :wave:
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests