Fishing victory but is it too late?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam
Posts: 7769
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1371 times
Been thanked: 6686 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by macliam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am
What I am saying is that after we leave the EU. We will fish in the way we as a country want to whether that be this way or another. It will be according to our laws and not the EU regulations. Unless there is a treaty/agreement to the contrary. Really I am trying to work out what relevance the article posted by the OP has to us as a nation. In my mind at the moment very little relevance. But, I am happy to be persuaded otherwise.
There are always laws and treaties with regard to fishing - unless you want British fishermen restricted to British waters. If you do, try telling the cockle fishermen in the recent "war".... they were 9 miles off the French coast. Plus, the staunch British fishermen have mostly sold their quotas to "foreign" companies - or do you think all those contracts will be nullified by the UKs fit of pique? Britain no longer rules the waves, much less what's below them.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

William Joseph1
Posts: 11085
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2488 times
Been thanked: 6384 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:14 am

I am obviously not putting my point over very well. But thank you for the answer anyway.
Thanked by: blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh
Posts: 14059
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29226 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by blythburgh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:26 am

We have 3 options, a people's vote and that says stay in (not likely IMHO), leave without a deal (Parliament will not agree to that) or we come to an agreement with the EU

And as every Govt. has done bu**er all to help our fishermen why should they change a habit of a lifetime and not give in to the EU over fishing?

Go near any area where there are still fishing boats and see the banners appealing for the Govt. to protect them.

It is not just farmers who are terrified of what agreement the Govt will come to before and after we actually leave the EU.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam
Posts: 7769
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1371 times
Been thanked: 6686 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by macliam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:39 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:14 am
I am obviously not putting my point over very well. But thank you for the answer anyway.
Nah, I get your point - allow me a little schadenfreude, but the very concept of sovereignty in today's multinational, connected world is as passé as protecting the English language, nicht wahr?...... ;)
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah
Posts: 2462
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 1625 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by Sarah » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm

The fishing industry is worth just £725m (0.04 per cent of UK output); less than the amount wasted on Brexit every week (£800m). The amount of coverage it receives is way out of proportion to its importance.
FT.com wrote:Harrods had a £2bn turnover in 2016, and almost certainly produced more value from that than the £725m fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.04 per cent of output.
City A.M. wrote:Brexit has already cost the UK economy £40bn a year - or £800m per week - since the referendum due to prolonged uncertainty, according to Bank of England economist Gertjan Vlieghe.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24048
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 3374 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Sarah wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm
The fishing industry is worth just £725m (0.04 per cent of UK output); less than the amount wasted on Brexit every week (£800m). The amount of coverage it receives is way out of proportion to its importance.
FT.com wrote:Harrods had a £2bn turnover in 2016, and almost certainly produced more value from that than the £725m fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.04 per cent of output.
City A.M. wrote:Brexit has already cost the UK economy £40bn a year - or £800m per week - since the referendum due to prolonged uncertainty, according to Bank of England economist Gertjan Vlieghe.
You quote from authoritative sources.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Chadwick
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 715 times
Been thanked: 1911 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by Chadwick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:17 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am
What I am saying is that after we leave the EU. We will fish in the way we as a country want to whether that be this way or another. It will be according to our laws and not the EU regulations. Unless there is a treaty/agreement to the contrary. Really I am trying to work out what relevance the article posted by the OP has to us as a nation. In my mind at the moment very little relevance. But, I am happy to be persuaded otherwise.

I do accept that the way other countries fish may affect our fishing. But as the proletariat has made the democratic decision to leave the EU. We should sod off and mind our own business.
I think that when we leave all extant EU regulations will become UK law, so this ruling may well carry over with it.

Ironically we've hitherto had the ability to debate EU laws and decide how to enact their requirements in UK law. One result of Brexit is that we're just taking the lot 'as seen' and making them UK law without further scrutiny.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam
Posts: 7769
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1371 times
Been thanked: 6686 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by macliam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:17 pm
William Joseph1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am
What I am saying is that after we leave the EU. We will fish in the way we as a country want to whether that be this way or another. It will be according to our laws and not the EU regulations. Unless there is a treaty/agreement to the contrary. Really I am trying to work out what relevance the article posted by the OP has to us as a nation. In my mind at the moment very little relevance. But, I am happy to be persuaded otherwise.

I do accept that the way other countries fish may affect our fishing. But as the proletariat has made the democratic decision to leave the EU. We should sod off and mind our own business.
I think that when we leave all extant EU regulations will become UK law, so this ruling may well carry over with it.

Ironically we've hitherto had the ability to debate EU laws and decide how to enact their requirements in UK law. One result of Brexit is that we're just taking the lot 'as seen' and making them UK law without further scrutiny.
BUT, as has been pointed out before - not all of these rules would need parliamentary approval before they are changed..... So, there is the possibility that current rules are eroded over time, without discussion.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh
Posts: 14059
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29226 times
Been thanked: 5687 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by blythburgh » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 am

macliam wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am

BUT, as has been pointed out before - not all of these rules would need parliamentary approval before they are changed..... So, there is the possibility that current rules are eroded over time, without discussion.
One MP stops Private Members Bills because they will not be properly debated in his view. Public outcry but the pro Brexit press care nothing about this abuse of Parliament and democracy
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam
Posts: 7769
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 am
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1371 times
Been thanked: 6686 times
Contact:

Re: Fishing victory but is it too late?

Post by macliam » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:02 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 am
macliam wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am

BUT, as has been pointed out before - not all of these rules would need parliamentary approval before they are changed..... So, there is the possibility that current rules are eroded over time, without discussion.
One MP stops Private Members Bills because they will not be properly debated in his view. Public outcry but the pro Brexit press care nothing about this abuse of Parliament and democracy
Yes and no. Annoying when it stops an important change, but correct, in that private members bills were often passed "on the nod", which is just as much an abuse of the system.

Unfortunately, neither is actually against the rules.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest