White Saviour...!?!

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

White Saviour...!?!

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 am

Labour MP David Lammy shoots himself in the foot? https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/st ... spartanntp :crazy:

Boro Boy

Re: White Saviour...!?!

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 pm

White, Black or as Amber Rudd says: Coloured?

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 am

Total posts in thread = 2

Post 1:
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 am
Labour MP David Lammy shoots himself in the foot? https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/st ... spartanntp :crazy:
Post 2:
Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 pm
White, Black or as Amber Rudd says: Coloured?
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 am

I feel sorry for Amber Rudd. She inadvertently used a word that was common when she was growing up but it not longer acceptable to many people of colour. Something we are all guilty of doing at times.

And sadly why she said it is being ignored but the real story as she pointed out how women of colour are treated. And she picked out her colleague Diane Abbott. But of course if you can attack a Tory Minister why not ignore the message and do the rottweiller bit.
Thanked by: Dream on, planteria
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 am
I feel sorry for Amber Rudd. She inadvertently used a word that was common when she was growing up but it not longer acceptable to many people of colour. Something we are all guilty of doing at times.

And sadly why she said it is being ignored but the real story as she pointed out how women of colour are treated. And she picked out her colleague Diane Abbott. But of course if you can attack a Tory Minister why not ignore the message and do the rottweiller bit.
When will people realise it is not necessarily the works but the intention behind them that is important...?

Amazingly, Amber used the word "coloured" to refer to individuals and got lambasted whilst yourself used the words "People of Colour" and that is acceptable - crazy! :wtf:

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:23 am

Oops I thought I had deleted my post as it was in the wrong place. You have to be so careful of the Political Correctness police these days, and to make it harder they keep moving the goal posts.

You cannot win these days. Father of tennis players Venus and Serena Williams is going to have his own biopic. Rumour has it that Will Smith, one of the finest black actors of any age, will play Mr Williams. But many are angry because "he is not black enough". Will Smith is hardly a pale skinned African Americans is he but he is unacceptable to some
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:34 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 am
Amazingly, Amber used the word "coloured" to refer to individuals and got lambasted whilst yourself used the words "People of Colour" and that is acceptable - crazy!
You have to consider the history. The term coloured was used to segregate those people from white people on buses etc in the apartheid era and that is why today it is deemed today as old fashioned and unacceptable.

Having said that there is a sense by me that at times people are to sensitive and should learn to live with their culture/history. But, what is offensive to some may not be to others. I am not coloured and have to be sensitive and listen to and accept the pain that others feel and that I cannot.
Thanked by: Dream on, pabenny, blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:47 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 am
… it is not necessarily the works but the intention behind them that is important...?
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 am
I feel sorry for Amber Rudd...
Agree. Listening to the soundbite, it's clear there was no derogatory intent.

As blythburgh points, the fuss has overshadowed the real story of how MPs, particularly women MPs and even more those from BAME background are abused online.

But then perhaps that was the intent.
Last edited by pabenny on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:34 am
You have to consider the history. The term coloured was used to segregate those people from white people on buses etc in the apartheid era and that is why today it is deemed today as old fashioned and unacceptable.
To be pedantic, "colored" was a term used for non-whites in the US under racial segregation.

"Apartheid" refers to the system of racial segregation in South Africa. "Coloured" is considered to be a distinct, multiracial ethnic group, and as far as I know, is an acceptable term there - although it probably wouldn't be an accurate term to describe Dianne Abbott.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:15 pm

But I still feel we are overlooking the fact Amber Rudd learnt English at a time when Coloured was a more acceptable word than the N one. And a slip of the tongue during a live interview is being used unfairly IMHO.

Have none of the PC brigade ever made a slip of the tongue when under pressure?

The words of the Northern Ireland Minister seem far worse to me.
Thanked by: Dream on