Essex idiot?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: Essex idiot?

Post by blythburgh » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 am
I was an Essex boy. It is so wrong to tar everyone with the same brush.
I have been on holiday more than once to the North East part of Essex and found the people delightful. I have friends who are from Essex all intelligen people. And a neighbour is an "Essex girl" but I have never seen her in white shoes :lol: Not only is this neighbour intelligent she is one of the very wisest people I have ever known.

Intelligence does not mean wise. The most intelligent person I have ever known is also one of the most gullible despite her MSc and career. And she was born and raised in Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire.

The man on the TV just happened to be an Essex Man but I am sure I can find an idiot in every county.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 am
William Joseph1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 am
I was an Essex boy. It is so wrong to tar everyone with the same brush.
I have been on holiday more than once to the North East part of Essex and found the people delightful. I have friends who are from Essex all intelligen people. And a neighbour is an "Essex girl" but I have never seen her in white shoes :lol: Not only is this neighbour intelligent she is one of the very wisest people I have ever known.
.... hence no longer living in Essex ;)
blythburgh wrote:
Intelligence does not mean wise. The most intelligent person I have ever known is also one of the most gullible despite her MSc and career. And she was born and raised in Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire.
Neither are indicators of "intelligence", just education and opportunity
blythburgh wrote:
The man on the TV just happened to be an Essex Man but I am sure I can find an idiot in every county.
Plenty hov'um round ere, bor - swye all the MPs are Tories !!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am

People leave the county of their birth for many reasons. I am sure many Essex "ex paats" still love the county
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:01 am

Essex has the very best jam... A little trip to the café at the Wilkin & Sons factory in Tiptree (recommended) and I'm sure you would be saying the same... :)

Also see: https://www.tiptree.com

You'd be an idiot not to go there...! ;)

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am

Jam tomorrow.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:01 am
Essex has the very best jam... A little trip to the café at the Wilkin & Sons factory in Tiptree (recommended) and I'm sure you would be saying the same... :)

You have not tried Fruits of Suffolk obviously

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:

You obviously have a geographical issue; I thought we were talking about Essex otherwise I'd be telling you about a trip to Dundee...

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Actually, traditional British jam uses less fruit and more sugar than continental conserves - "extra" jam was an attempt to correct this. I prefer the St.Dalfour spreads, sweetened by grape must, not cane sugar.
I have to say I had to check when it changed from "no sugar" to "no cane sugar", in case that meant they were just sneaking beet sugar through the back-door - but it uses a natural extract from the fruit after winemaking, I guess someone pointed out to them that this contains natural sugars.

One amazing thing they have in Portugal is "Agua Mel" a syrup made by evaporating the water used to clean honeycombs after the honey has been extracted. It becomes a dark, unctious caramel syrup - and it's 100% natural, but not licensed for sale (so still a homemade thing). Its anti-oxidant and antibacterial properties are said to be higher than actual honey.... if you go there, try it!!

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:

You obviously have a geographical issue; I thought we were talking about Essex otherwise I'd be telling you about a trip to Dundee...
I actually thought the topic was about idiots in Essex and had nothing to do with Jam. But IMO the thread should be allowed to go whatever way it meanders. That's the idiotic thing about it.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 pm
I actually thought the topic was about idiots in Essex and had nothing to do with Jam. But IMO the thread should be allowed to go whatever way it meanders. That's the idiotic thing about it.
:thumbup: you know it makes sense!