Essex idiot?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
planteria

Re: Essex idiot?

Post by planteria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:12 am
In a vox pop bit about Brexit one man in Essex said he wanted to leave the EU because it was so good in the 1970's and he wanted to go back to those days.
i love the media portrayal of leavers being old-fashioned, racist, 'little Englanders', harking back to yesteryear :mrgreen:. most people i know voted leave, for pretty much exactly the opposite motivations.
Thanked by: Boro Boy

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am

planteria wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 am
blythburgh wrote:
In a vox pop bit about Brexit one man in Essex said he wanted to leave the EU because it was so good in the 1970's and he wanted to go back to those days.
i love the media portrayal of leavers being old-fashioned, racist, 'little Englanders', harking back to yesteryear :mrgreen:. most people i know voted leave, for pretty much exactly the opposite motivations.
The only people I personally know who voted leave did so for at least some of those reasons.

A friend living in a Council House flat said for the first time in his life he had a poster supporting "the opposition" in the view of those around him and was verbally abused and even threatened. He had never had any problems in the past including where he lived. People around him who he knew never vote in any election were actively pushing the Leave campaign using very racist language.

But I am sure planteria is correct not everyone voted leave for the reason he has listed
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:01 am
Essex has the very best jam... A little trip to the café at the Wilkin & Sons factory in Tiptree (recommended) and I'm sure you would be saying the same... :)

Also see: https://www.tiptree.com

You'd be an idiot not to go there...! ;)

You have not tried Fruits of Suffolk obviously
You obviously have a geographical issue; I thought we were talking about Essex otherwise I'd be telling you about a trip to Dundee...
I agree with you about Tiptree jam, and Dundee makes wonderful marmalade. But I do agree with macliam on jam and wish I could go try what he is talking about. But I live in Suffolk so have to give the county praise.

Which jam do I eat? Sadly none, the waistline must be reduced and as I cannot walk miles like my sister in law it has to be less food if you are not as active as you wish you could be
Thanked by: Boro Boy
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am

planteria wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 am
blythburgh wrote:
Maybe they chose their newspaper because it tells them what they want to hear as it echoes their views or it has formed their views on the EU is a moot point. But the only people I know who voted leave are readers of The Daily Mail. And for years they have been fed a "suits the editors Brexiteer views" of the EU.

I can remember so many times The Sun heard that one MEP says something that all the other MEP's find laughable and ignore and then turn it into a big the EU wants to stop us .... of force us to ...

And too many people actually believed that .... was an actual threat to our way of life or eating.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 am

The power of the press?
Thanked by: blythburgh