How the other half lives

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

How the other half lives

Post by blythburgh » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm

So we were in Southwold and wanted to get some shopping so parking behind the Co-op store in its very small car park. Noticed one of the very small cottages in the row on one side of the very narrow road was for sale.

https://www.purplebricks.co.uk/search/p ... 2&sortBy=2

Note there is no mention of a parking space let alone a garage. Nor the fact that the "houses" opposite are part of the Admams brewery complex. But it is the "right side of the church" and right in the heart of the town. Parking will always mean a fair old walk and heaven help you if you stop the car to unload your luggage as you will block the road to all other traffic.

Nor is there a photo of the stairs, I would imagine very twisty and extremely steep.

And that courtyard garden is very tiny no matter what the picture says.

Price: £500,000

Not to worry too much about the car parking, you will only be using it for holidays and to let to other holiday makers. Oh and you will be able to off set the cost of the mortgage etc against your taxes. Or maybe it will become yet another of the "buy to leave empty and let it grow in value" properties that are blighting Southwold even more than the buy to let for holidaymakers homes. The way Southwold is going nobody will actually live in the town on a permanent basis eventually. The days when people from the home counties sold up and retired to the town with a hefty price reduction on the new home compared to the past are but a memory.

Meanwhile youngsters in the town and surrounding villages are being completely priced out of the area generations of their family have lived in due to the "Southwold effect". And many young and not so young people in North East Suffolk are struggling to find a home they can afford to rent or buy.

Sad isn't it?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Re: How the other half lives

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Don't forget the easy-money landlords who are buying up all of the housing stock.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Southwold and Aldeburgh are "London by the Sea" and have been for many years - but the same pressures that have distorted the market in London have worked there too. Fulham was once a working-class area - and I saw the effects of gentrification myself when I lived in Kensal Green. Somewhere the connection between the value of property, the cost of ownership and ability to pay has shifted, so that those with the money not only can buy anything, but actually do so.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:42 pm

I have a friend whose son in law in London born and bred. He and his wife bought their council flat in Notthing Hill and eventually sold it for "and obscene price" as my friend's daughter called it. Used the money to buy a really nice house in north Essex.

Good news for them but one more flat that could have housed a local family now lost to the average Londoner

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Would somebody please explain the difference between moaning about Londoners moving in to all the local property, and moaning about oh, 'eastern Europeans' moving in to all the local property?

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Constantine wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 pm
Would somebody please explain the difference between moaning about Londoners moving in to all the local property, and moaning about oh, 'eastern Europeans' moving in to all the local property?
I'm sure you can see the fallacy in your question - the situation here is that people are pricing locals out of the market by buying second or subsequent homes..... I don't think many European migrants do that. :eh:

The second issue is that there is little potential for replacement building in the areas where these houses are being bought .....part of the "caché" of owning there is that they are in protected areas or in "quaint" towns that cannot easily expand to make up the shortfall. So local people who require housing are being displaced.

To an extent, this has been happening for years - as I suggested in my post - but either it has accelerated, or the compound decrease in local housing has become critical.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 am

They are busy building on all the remaining areas that can be built on. Southwold is basically an island so little space left to build on.

But the "newbies" are very busy enlarging their property. Some quaint little bungalows beside the marsh are being replace by 2 story and far less quaint properties. Town houses are also being enlarged where possible.

Of course the famous greens could become houses but I fear for the safety of anyone who does that. They could argue that there used to be houses on the greens before the great fire of 1659 and so they should be allowed to be houses once more. Can't see that washing with the powers that be though.

And of course if you are really rich your 2nd home is across the River Blyth in Walberswick. The 2nd homers of Southwold are the "poor" rich :lol:
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler