Free speech on the internet?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 434 times
Been thanked: 1350 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by pabenny » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm
pabenny wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am
And it's (sort of) OK to freely use words of a sexual nature while language alluding to ethnicity will inevitably result in someone claiming offence.
Not sure what you're suggesting here.... I thought the LGBTQ+ community were fairly well protected now and I don't see how other "words of a sexual nature" are an issue?
Clearly being too oblique. C**t, f**k, etc have become relatively commonplace, while N*****r, p***I, Ch**k are beyond the pale.
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh

expressman33
Posts: 9502
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2351 times
Been thanked: 9929 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by expressman33 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 pm

It also seems OK for "coloured" people and those with disabilities to make jokes about people similar to themselves ( Lost Voice Guy even won BGT) but it is not OK for others to do the same

Some things also seem perfectly acceptable on TV now that wouldn't have been allowed 20/30 years ago and visa versa

Women slapping men on TV is accepted by most but not a man slapping a woman
Last edited by expressman33 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam
Posts: 8007
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1397 times
Been thanked: 6958 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by macliam » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:47 pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm
macliam wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm
pabenny wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am
And it's (sort of) OK to freely use words of a sexual nature while language alluding to ethnicity will inevitably result in someone claiming offence.
Not sure what you're suggesting here.... I thought the LGBTQ+ community were fairly well protected now and I don't see how other "words of a sexual nature" are an issue?
Clearly being too oblique. C**t, f**k, etc have become relatively commonplace, while N*****r, p***I, Ch**k are beyond the pale.
Do you really not see the difference? The words you quote are just that, words. You may not like them, but they exist and are used. On the other hand, the "descriptives" that you suggest are mere invitations to stereotype people based on their ethnicity, usually negatively. When was the last time you heard any of those terms used positively?
expressman33 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 pm
It also seems OK for "coloured" people and those with disabilities to make jokes about people similar to themselves ( Lost Voice Guy even won BGT) but it is not OK for others to do the same
You do realise you've just transgressed, don't you? :wtf:
Apart from that, I think you have to look at who and why - the use of the "n" word in rap and by black comedians is used either for shock value or as an "inclusive" - I can talk about me and other paddys, because we share a value - if you don't share that value, you can't.

The Lost Voice Guy was deliberately aiming to expose the prejudices against people like him - and it worked. Had he just typed in some inane jokes, the likelyhood is that firstly, he wouldn't get a second look and secondly, it would leave a large elephant in the room.

It reminds me of my visit to "The Kerryman Joke Shop", where the very finest Irish jokes are honed and aimed at people of "the kingdom". I asked the owner "What do you do with the jokes that aren't good enough for you to use?"........ "Ach, we give those to the English!" he said :mrgreen:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33
Posts: 9502
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2351 times
Been thanked: 9929 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by expressman33 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:57 pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:47 pm

You do realise you've just transgressed, don't you? :wtf:
Yes , but it would still be OK if it was written on a blog on the Internet
Last edited by expressman33 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pabenny
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 434 times
Been thanked: 1350 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by pabenny » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm

At the risk of digging when I’m in a hole, my point was about how taboos have shifted, to the extent that we have to say ”the n-word”, because the actual word is now unsayable in any context. Yes, of course the n-word comes with far more baggage of discrimination and so is more inherently offensive than words for genitalia.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam
Posts: 8007
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1397 times
Been thanked: 6958 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by macliam » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:59 pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm
At the risk of digging when I’m in a hole, my point was about how taboos have shifted, to the extent that we have to say ”the n-word”, because the actual word is now unsayable in any context. Yes, of course the n-word comes with far more baggage of discrimination and so is more inherently offensive than words for genitalia.
No, I understand (but I won't let that stop me from setting up a good argument!! :mrgreen: )

My Grandfather fought through the First World War, the Irish Civil War and worked as a labourer at times - yet he never swore. Ever. In Irish or English - he was famous for it. The strongest expression he ever used was "scuttering" (don't ask..) as in "These scuttering yokes will be the death of me!!" :crazy:

My father would use "Bloody" from time to time and call someone a silly bugger or tell you to bugger off because he didn't give a bugger. That's it, I never heard him use anything stronger. :think:

I got in a lot of trouble..... :shifty:

But sometimes, even I wonder if there's a competition to infill with the maximum number of curse words - and believe me, we Irish have Olympic medals in it!! :mrgreen:
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh
Posts: 14324
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29945 times
Been thanked: 5812 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by blythburgh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am

I find the original social media post upsetting because I feel that it does Christianity a great disservice. I despair of the sort of church he belongs to that peddles this sort of distortion of Christianity. But what right have I to ban it?

I would feel differently if he had been addressing a real person but he was just stating his misguided view.

I feel the they have applied their rules as stringently as they can. And remember people like Hitler stop free speech.
Thanked by: pabenny
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 758 times
Been thanked: 2027 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by Chadwick » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:27 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am
It's funny how it's OK to attack certain individuals online ( eg Donald Trump or Therasa May ) but not others
If you're attacking an individual for something that individual has done/said/worn, then that's a personal insult. Maybe it's libellous or defamation, but it's still aimed at just that person.
The line is crossed when you use the characteristics of one person to insult a group (or vice versa) where there is no justification for the insult to be applied to the group.

And of course, certain characteristics are protected by law, because our legal system/government/society has decided that those characteristics are acceptable in our society.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 14324
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 29945 times
Been thanked: 5812 times
Contact:

Re: Free speech on the internet?

Post by blythburgh » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am

He was not having a go at just gays as the media insists on portraying it but just about every person on the planet.

I disagree totally with his statement and despair of the churches which push this sort of rubbish. But still feel that some people have the right to say what they want and be protected but others cannot. And that I have problems with at times.
Thanked by: pabenny
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests