Money, investing, mutuals etc
AAAlphaThunder

Re: Sainsbury's-Asda merger blocked by regulator

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:26 pm

planteria wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:30 am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:49 pm
Diversification is the key word. there is talk of regulation and putting limits on the FANGS (Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Google).
i have some Pension pots and an RSP that are diversified, sitting alongside my concentrated ISA, but..

It is unwise to spread one’s funds over too many different securities" Bernard Baruch.

The winning investor’s objective should be to have one or two big winners rather than dozens of very small profits” William J. O'Neil

Behold, the fool saith, "Put not all thine eggs in the one basket" - which is but a matter of saying, "Scatter your money and your attention"; but the wise man saith, "Put all your eggs in the one basket and - WATCH THAT BASKET" Mark Twain

Diversification is a protection against ignorance, [It] makes very little sense for those who know what they’re doing” Warren Buffett

--accepting that you are proposing that i don't :mrgreen:.
"Fortune favours the bold".

I wish you good fortune.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

planteria

Post by planteria » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm

thank you AAAT... et toi aussi. it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Mon plaisir.
Thanked by: planteria

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:40 pm

These days, my shopping has changed entirely - not through price pressures but due to the over-marketing and poor perception of the big boys.

When I was in London in the 80s, I shopped in Safeway.... Tesco was a scrappy warehousy thing that was down a backstreet and felt decidedly "low rent". Sainsbury was good and I trusted their food, but a couple of tube stops away, M&S were good but pricey for all but luxuries.

How things changed, Tesco grew - and when I moved here it was my nearest "big boy" with a 7/24 megashop 15 minutes away. M&S seemed even more niche - and annoying because they choose to rotate things... you just get used to something and it's gone. Sainsbury was twice the distance and..... dowdy, unimaginative and nothing special. Safeway disappeared.

Then, in the last couple of years, Lidl and Aldi have arrived (a new Aldi is about to open next to the Tesco, so 15 minutes away) - and I actually prefer the quality of some of their items to the "carp" offered by Tesco. Tesco has got to the stage where the only things I buy are brand staples when on offer.... and their Irish Wheaten Loaf. Sainsbury ditto but fewer offers - just their Puffed Wheat on a regular basis. Waitrose has come on the scene and thrown a spanner in both their works .... milk and dairy. occasional offers on Butter, etc. and all better quality than the other two. And then there's LIDL, which has become my go-to store - great in-store bread at half the price, veggies and fruit, great beef that TASTES and is well matured, fish, other bits'n'bobs.....and WINE!!

IMHO, the biggest mistake Sainsbury, Tesco and ASDA have made is thinking they can compete on price, because their quality is poorer too..... they've just lost the plot and can't see beyond the profit line. Time to shape up or ship out.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am

A grocery shop in Leiston sold the best ham you could buy anywhere. But Waitrose opened in the next town. Shop closed down.

The other side of the town is a farm shop which sells so much local produce of all sorts alongside its own produce and has a cafe that it best to book a table at. After Waitrose they closed half the shop.

But as for meat, only local butchers for us. I remember going into the one in Aldeburgh and told them there shop smelt in a way I had forgotten about. He said yes, we sell proper local meat. Butchers when I was a child had a meat smell that is missing from even butchers nowadays as the properly hung for long enough meat is not on open display.

The butchers I buy from can tell me where the meat came from. And I do not mean the Tesco farm that does not exist. Or the poster telling me that such and such a farm supplies their meat. I am sure it does but it could not supply all of it could it?

Like the ready meal the Beeb investigated. The meat is British, more probing and eventually admitted meat was from EU then eventually it turned out meat was from Thailand or somewhere similar and cut up in UK so could claim to be British.

Now you know why I only buy veggie sarnies in supermarkets if I really need a sarnie lol
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

rayf

Post by rayf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:37 pm

I'll eat anything that's tasty

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:01 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am

Like the ready meal the Beeb investigated. The meat is British, more probing and eventually admitted meat was from EU then eventually it turned out meat was from Thailand or somewhere similar and cut up in UK so could claim to be British.

What is the basis of prejudice against Thai meat? :)

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:17 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:31 am
The butchers I buy from can tell me where the meat came from. And I do not mean the Tesco farm that does not exist. Or the poster telling me that such and such a farm supplies their meat. I am sure it does but it could not supply all of it could it?
I think Tesco and Waitrose are able to trace each pack back to the slaughterhouse and farm it came from.
The packaging however is misleading. The former Tesco Value range now features a fictitious farm as a brand name, and some packaging (I've seen this on milk and potatoes more than meat) highlights one of the actual farms that supplies them, but not necessarily the one that supplied the meat in that pack.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:47 pm

Odd that the arrival of a Waitrose caused issues - they shops involved must have been well overpriced if Waitrose took their business....

We used to shop at the local Farmer's Market, but that became dominated by the "Wild Game" vendors, the Grouse egg merchants and the veggie box suppliers. End.

We used to shop at the local market - SWMBO loves markets, but they are anti-competitive and only allow one of each type of vendor and drive away the others. Plus the "local veggie" was being trucked in from Wiltshire and the "local fish" wasn't either. End.

We used to shop at a butcher in Framlingham - his beef was good, his black pudding was divine. Retired, not replaced. End.

We used to use another local butcher - they were taken over by a chain. End.

The UK simply doesn't know how to buy or sell goods like elsewhere - we stopped using the local fishmonger when he objected to SWMBO smelling the fish. She's Portuguese, she learned to spot fresh fish at her mother's knee. He had good reason to object..... it wasn't.

So, we're stuck with getting the best we can......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Lidl and Aldi are my main shops.