local election results

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

local election results

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 04, 2019 9:33 am

In our area it has produced some surprises.

The big beast (in more ways than one) Mark Bee was defeated. He had been Tory leader of Suffolk County Council and was leader of Waveney District Council. Not sure how much anger at the demise of Waveney and Suffolk Coastal district councils and the formation of the new East Suffolk District Council had anything to do with it. But he was in a safe seat in the past. The Greens struggled and always failed to get more than the one seat in Beccles in past elections.

Yesterday seats were far larger but the new Beccles/Worllingham ward returned 3 Green Councillors.

But I still feel the biggest loser has been democracy and the money saved will be relatively small as so many things were already been run by both councils in tandem.

Last Waveney Council looked like this:

Labour 20
Conservative 27
Liberal Democrat 0
Green 1
UKIP 0
Independent 0

Last Suffolk Coastal looked like this:

Labour 0
Conservative 49
Liberal Democrat 3
Green 0
UKIP 0 1
Independent 3

The new East Suffolk Council (which covers an area that was the East Suffolk County Council until 1974 when the boundaries were withdrawn and East and West Suffolk County Council became one County Council) looks like this:

Conservative 39
Labour 7
Green 4
Liberal Democrat 3
Independent 2

So even on a night when the Tories did badly they have a large majority. My old District Council has always swung between Tory and Labour control, with a Labour/LibDem coalition once.

Saving money or ensuring a Tory Council forever?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

gle1975

Re: local election results

Post by gle1975 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:38 pm

My council had 32 Conservatives, 9 UKIP and a few Labour.

Now it has 16 Conservatives, 10 for an area Independent group, 11 Labour, 4 Libs, a few independents, 1 UKIP and 2 Greens!
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Shock! Hell has frozen over! - My ward has fallen to the Greens!! :wtf:

Unfortunately out spanking new council (covering 240k in Suffolk) stills remains deep blue.... but not quite as deep :D
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sat May 04, 2019 5:00 pm

The biggest shock is that despite pro-Brexit parties losing huge numbers of seats and those seats being taken by pro-remain parties.... Teresa May and Jeremy Corbyn think this is the public saying 'get on with Brexit'.

I thought Boris had hit the bullshit bullseye with his "I've just voted" tweet, but apparently we can go further.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat May 04, 2019 5:11 pm

OK, let's roll back here Corbyn & May are talking globular objects - they've both been given a kicking, May because she's useless and Corbyn because he has splinters in his backside from the fence he's been sitting on. May is a remainer running as a brexiteer, Corbyn is a brexiteer running as a remainer - total mess.

LibDems & Greens may be anti-Brexit parties, but they also run good local campaigns and they are to recipient of protest votes against the others. The LibDems in particular are coming back from a drubbing at the end of the Coalition. So I don't automatically take votes for them as anti-Brexit votes. Also, in my ward, it was a straight fight between the Tories and the Greens - and the Tory incumbent only got about 20% of the votes. So no Labour or LibDems to split the vote - in how many other wards?

While I don't discount Brexit as AN influence on the votes (particularly against Labour and the Tories), I don't believe it was THE influence. What it says, once again, is that the British electorate is entirely peed off with the self-serving nonsense that is the current Westminster system

Problem is - they were peed off at the EU, now they are peed off at the Westminster system..... what next?
Last edited by macliam on Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, dustie, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun May 05, 2019 9:11 am

Chadwick wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:00 pm
The biggest shock is that despite pro-Brexit parties losing huge numbers of seats and those seats being taken by pro-remain parties.... Teresa May and Jeremy Corbyn think this is the public saying 'get on with Brexit'.
Agree. It does seem topsy-turvy interpretation of the results.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 am

Chadwick wrote:
They interpret the results however they want , maybe the voters just don't like May and Corbyn . I know a lot of life long Labour voters who have stopped voting for Labour because of Corbyn
Thanked by: kevinchess1, dustie, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 am

Is May a Remainer turned Brexiteer or a woman who wanted to be PM and expected Remain side to win. So said she was supporting Remain when she secretly supported Leave?

Bit like Boris Johnson who was considered a strong Remainer but realised that the majority of Tory members who would decide who would be the next party Leader were Brexiteers so changed his public voice to get their votes.

Or am I just an old cynic when it comes to politicians of all colours?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am

Chadwick wrote:

I thought Boris had hit the bullshit bullseye with his "I've just voted" tweet, but apparently we can go further.
Indeed I saw that headline and I think it sums up quite nicely just how detached some are from reality and how frightening it is that they are the ones in power or potentially in power.
Thanked by: dustie, blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun May 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Well done Lib Dems, Greens and Independents.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club