What is the point in cancelling stuff

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

What is the point in cancelling stuff

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 04, 2019 8:58 am

According to the Milk and More website you need to cancel before 9:00 p.m. the day before the delivery.

I cancelled during the morning of Thursday.

My neighbour came across to find that milk etc had been left on the Saturday (they only deliver on Tues, Thurs and Sat).

I do not blame my milk deliverer, he can only deliver what I order on the internet as that is the way my account is set up. He can only stop deliveries if his computer list tells him too.

I will be complaining by phone on Monday.
Thanked by: emsky
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Re: What is the point in cancelling stuff

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 04, 2019 11:23 am

I have remembered since posting the above I did not actually physically cancel day by day but did a holiday thing. Surely Milk and More do not think people take glass bottles in our case or plastic bottles of milk on holiday.

In the holiday section they say it means your deliveries will be on hold for the period chosen. Not on the first delivery of our holiday period though.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat May 04, 2019 1:28 pm

We live close to Lidl so just go in and buy our milk.

As for holidays every country has milk so not packing the stuff. My experience is that I find the milk in Turkey to be thicker than here in the UK.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat May 04, 2019 2:44 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:28 pm

As for holidays every country has milk so not packing the stuff. My experience is that I find the milk in Turkey to be thicker than here in the UK.
Never had milk from a Turkey - bomm, boom!! :lol:

But, in the Sahara I was given a drink that I presumed was yoghurt, since it was very thick and fatty. I fact it turned out to be Camel milk, because that and fresh dates are the traditional Toureg welcome. PDS - the Touregs are known as the "Blue Men" because they dye their clothes with indigo - and it, in turn, dyes them... they are also the only Muslim men who are habitually veiled, they cover their faces even when not out in the desert.

Milk in Portugal is mainly UHT - you have to look for the real stuff, but it does exist.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun May 05, 2019 5:41 pm

macliam wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:44 pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Never had milk from a Turkey - bomm, boom!! :lol:

But, in the Sahara I was given a drink that I presumed was yoghurt, since it was very thick and fatty. I fact it turned out to be Camel milk, because that and fresh dates are the traditional Toureg welcome. PDS - the Touregs are known as the "Blue Men" because they dye their clothes with indigo - and it, in turn, dyes them... they are also the only Muslim men who are habitually veiled, they cover their faces even when not out in the desert.

Milk in Portugal is mainly UHT - you have to look for the real stuff, but it does exist.
UHT - how did they manage to pass that stuff off as milk?
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 06, 2019 9:16 am

We buy milk from Milk and More so we can have it in glass bottles not plastic ones. And we want to keep milk deliveries going because they can be a lifeline for elderly and disabled people. It has been a great help in times of severe weather to have milk and other groceries delivered to us.

Not the amount of groceries that would justify the cost of a Tesco delivery but a few things.

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon May 06, 2019 9:42 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:41 pm
UHT - how did they manage to pass that stuff off as milk?
SWMBO won't touch the stuff, I can take it if heavily disguised (as in coffee) but not otherwise.

But I guess it's what you get used to.... UHT milk is half the price of fresh milk and doesn't need a fridge, which, within living memory, was a luxury many Portuguese couldn't aspire to.

In Portugal, the national dish is Bacalhau, the dried, salted Cod that Portuguese fishermen started to bring back from Newfoundland in the C16th. It's called "the 365" because they say there is a different recipe for each day of the year...... These days, it's not even cheap - but, to me, it always tastes like dried, salted Cod...... it has the Cod taste that I like, but also other flavours (and textures) that I don't, so in that way it's like UHT milk.... I have eaten bacalhau, heavily disguised in a cream sauce, but normally I decline..... to looks of "poor you" from everyone else......

Then again, the traditional Portuguese Christmas meal is boiled bacalhau, cabbage and potatoes..... there's luxury for you!!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 06, 2019 9:45 am

I do not think I want to go to a restaurant in Portugal for my Christmas meal lol

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon May 06, 2019 10:17 am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:45 am
I do not think I want to go to a restaurant in Portugal for my Christmas meal lol
If you did, you'd be alone - Christmas there is still time for the family. ;)

Restaurants normally have a limited number of bacalau dishes, because it's time-consuming to do it right - so unless it's the "dish of the day", you'd have plenty of other choices. The problem is, the taste of fresh, well-prepared food might shock you!! At the Fish restaurant we use there, anything caught yesterday and chilled is NOT described as fresh, as for frozen........ Here, my sister lives in a fishing town, but all the fish in the shops has been to Billingsgate and back!!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am

macliam you remind me of the time we lived in Halesworth. We often went to Aldeburgh and bought fish off the beach from fishermen who only go out for a few hours at a time.

The landlord of his local pub said he would love some really fresh fish. So as asked my Dad took in a whole skate.

It was the first and last time he did this because a) the fish was frozen for a couple of weeks as you could not eat fish that was caught within the last 24 hours and b) they trimmed the fish and weighed it and it cost as much per pound as the local fishmonger charged.

We used to bring the fish home and eat it that day, it was so good.

And the local fish and chip shop had limited hours and never opened on a Sunday. Nowadays the local chippies seem to be open most of the day and every day including Sundays. I think Christmas Day is one of the very few days, or even only day, they do not open.