why capped

planteria
Posts: 5215
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 1571 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by planteria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 am

to make it midnight to midnight exactly?
Thanked by: blythburgh

richard@imutual
Posts: 4739
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 am
Sharing: 3stars.png
Has thanked: 1894 times
Been thanked: 4356 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by richard@imutual » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am

That's the intention. But (as I proved) it's easy to get in a muddle when it comes to programming with times and timezones

For instance, if our system is looking back at 28th/29th March now, it sees rayf as having done a transaction at 23.30GMT on 28th and then again at 09:00 GMT on 29th

But as we're now in british summer time, it might see 23:30GMT as being half past midnight on 29th - and therefore see 2 transactions on the same day

Of course, I'm expecting one of our technically-minded members to now pipe up and point out the "correct" approach ;) But when you don't work on these things week in, week out it's easy to get tripped up :(

William Joseph1
Posts: 11653
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2724 times
Been thanked: 6985 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 am

I have just submitted a query re a capped transaction on 20/3 it tracked three times twice at zero and once at 50p Needless to say the 50p was capped.
Thanked by: blythburgh
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31430 times
Been thanked: 6079 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by blythburgh » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am

richard@imutual wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am
rayf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:55 pm
why have all of my transactions on 28th March been capped? :thumbdown:
Apologies, I've had to completely rewrite the capping algorithm to work more efficiently

It's surprisingly fiddly to get a computer to work out "How many transactions have been done in the past X days?", especially when daylight savings kicks in when you're halfway through! I think this happened to you because you did transactions after 11pm one day and then again the following morning

I'm working on a fix ....
I remember the good old days on the amstrad PCW with something gold that meant you did not have to write programme stuff but had a front page like windows. No worry about scams and phishing but did an enormous amount of work on it but not a lot of time spent on games.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

richard@imutual
Posts: 4739
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 am
Sharing: 3stars.png
Has thanked: 1894 times
Been thanked: 4356 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by richard@imutual » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:05 pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 am
I have just submitted a query re a capped transaction on 20/3 it tracked three times twice at zero and once at 50p Needless to say the 50p was capped.
I've checked and this has been capped correctly. I'll PM you with details

macliam
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1414 times
Been thanked: 7158 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by macliam » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:59 pm

richard@imutual wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am
rayf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:55 pm
why have all of my transactions on 28th March been capped? :thumbdown:
Apologies, I've had to completely rewrite the capping algorithm to work more efficiently

It's surprisingly fiddly to get a computer to work out "How many transactions have been done in the past X days?", especially when daylight savings kicks in when you're halfway through! I think this happened to you because you did transactions after 11pm one day and then again the following morning

I'm working on a fix ....
Sounds like the Y2K bug again - but don't ask kev, he'll say it doesn't exist!! ;)
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1414 times
Been thanked: 7158 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by macliam » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:03 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am
richard@imutual wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am
rayf wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:55 pm
why have all of my transactions on 28th March been capped? :thumbdown:
Apologies, I've had to completely rewrite the capping algorithm to work more efficiently

It's surprisingly fiddly to get a computer to work out "How many transactions have been done in the past X days?", especially when daylight savings kicks in when you're halfway through! I think this happened to you because you did transactions after 11pm one day and then again the following morning

I'm working on a fix ....
I remember the good old days on the amstrad PCW with something gold that meant you did not have to write programme stuff but had a front page like windows. No worry about scams and phishing but did an enormous amount of work on it but not a lot of time spent on games.
Ah, the old punched cards! These new-fangled floppy things will never catch on!!

Actual quote from my first job in IT, c1980 "If it can't be done in 64kb, it doesn't need doing!!". Yeah, right..... I love the smell of machine-code in the morning - pass me the hex calculator!!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33
Posts: 10024
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2538 times
Been thanked: 10501 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by expressman33 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 pm

In the report "Transactions by merchant/status" ( https://www.imutual.co.uk/report?id=776 ) all capped/rejected offers are showing as 0 transactions , but if you click on the 0 it still brings up the list of capped/rejected transactions
Thanked by: blythburgh, xxxraichxxx

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24976
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3643 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 am

expressman33 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 pm
In the report "Transactions by merchant/status" ( https://www.imutual.co.uk/report?id=776 ) all capped/rejected offers are showing as 0 transactions , but if you click on the 0 it still brings up the list of capped/rejected transactions
Sometimes you're paid and sometimes you aren't. What the reports say or do not say is for intents and purposes immaterial.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, xxxraichxxx
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

expressman33
Posts: 10024
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2538 times
Been thanked: 10501 times
Contact:

Re: why capped

Post by expressman33 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:03 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 am
expressman33 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 pm
In the report "Transactions by merchant/status" ( https://www.imutual.co.uk/report?id=776 ) all capped/rejected offers are showing as 0 transactions , but if you click on the 0 it still brings up the list of capped/rejected transactions
Sometimes you're paid and sometimes you aren't. What the reports say or do not say is for intents and purposes immaterial.
what I am saying is the report is NOT showing the number of transactions that have been capped or rejected
Thanked by: xxxraichxxx

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests