Forget Climate Change the real disaster is Micro-Plastics

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Re: Forget Climate Change the real disaster is Micro-Plastics

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am

pabenny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:49 am
The linked news item and the lengthy quote above are about mad-made climate change, which you seem pretty sceptical about.

Since you've said that "the real disaster" is plastics, would you like to have another go at telling us what "doing your bit" comprises. Or what our government should be doing about plastic waste?
I have pointed out and backed up to some extent that both I and the Government are doing their bit to a leading level/top echelon in the case of the Government... :clap:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 am

I was reminded the other day about plastic bags and people...

I was travelling on public transport along with the great unwashed and happened to see a guy with one of these modern style shaped glass bottles with a citrus vodka in which he was avidly drinking from the cap (as shots) along with his accompanying girlfriend - this was about 11am! This caught my attention but what also caught my attention was he was carrying a shopping market wire basket...

Now this got me thinking; this is not the first time that I had see people carrying wire baskets about (well away from the shop) or dumping them on the street and I wondered if I had seen the start of a trend? I wonder if peoples stock pile of old thick carrier bags is running out and rather than pay the 5p or 10p levy for a new bag they are just walking out of supermarkets with the wire baskets and just dumping them when they are finished with them? Please keep your eyes open and see if this is a trend or just something the scumbags in the areas I regularly travel to/through are doing...!
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am
I have pointed out and backed up to some extent that both I and the Government are doing their bit to a leading level/top echelon in the case of the Government... :clap:
You have indeed said (more than once) that you are "doing your bit" on plastic waste but despite being asked (more than once), you have not told us what that consists of. We might be able to learn from or be inspired by your actions.

You have also (more than once) commented approvingly on the government's record but again despite being asked (also more than once) have declined to express any view on what the government *should* be doing. Since plastic waste is still a problem and our recycling rate is not amongst the leading nations, we could be doing more.

Instead you have chosen to point to the unlawful and antisocial actions of a very few (litterers and thieves).

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 09, 2019 10:09 am

I asked about the plastic button in my basket at the supermarket. The nice lady at the Tesco counter said that would set off a buzzer if it was taken out. They had to do this because too many people were taking the basket rather than pay for a bag.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 am

I think if I lived on an island which is so close to sea level I would be screaming that man made climate change it the most important thing. Plastic in the ocean affects me because of fishing and its affect on that. But how can I fish if my home is lost due to rising sea levels.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 10:31 am

pabenny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am
You have indeed said (more than once) that you are "doing your bit" on plastic waste but despite being asked (more than once), you have not told us what that consists of. We might be able to learn from or be inspired by your actions.

You have also (more than once) commented approvingly on the government's record but again despite being asked (also more than once) have declined to express any view on what the government *should* be doing. Since plastic waste is still a problem and our recycling rate is not amongst the leading nations, we could be doing more.

Instead you have chosen to point to the unlawful and antisocial actions of a very few (litterers and thieves).
I and the Government appear to be doing enough within our financial capabilities, I thought that was clear we both want a clean planet...

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 09, 2019 10:34 am

I have no idea what you are doing, but I know the Govt. are not doing anything like enough. If only they had started years ago it would be easier and cheaper now.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am

Mr Boro Boy - You started a thread about the 'disaster' of microplastics. If it is the disaster you say, why are you so reluctant to discuss actions we might take as individuals or actions our government should take?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

pabenny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am
Mr Boro Boy - You started a thread about the 'disaster' of microplastics. If it is the disaster you say, why are you so reluctant to discuss actions we might take as individuals or actions our government should take?
It was merely to raise awareness... Why must you persist asking the same questions some of us do what we can to keep a clean planet.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 09, 2019 11:43 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am
pabenny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am
It was merely to raise awareness... Why must you persist asking the same questions some of us do what we can to keep a clean planet.
And that is what Extinction Rebellion and children walking out of lessons are doing as well. But maybe they get more publicity which means the public take more notice and force politicians to do something.