Why it might be harder to get into the top Universities

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Why it might be harder to get into the top Universities

Post by blythburgh » Sun May 12, 2019 9:50 am

The heads of private schools are upset because Oxbridge type uni's are going to make it easier for state school pupils to get in.

Apparently some of the privately educated pupils who now scrape in will be denied a place due to "social engineering".

I am all for it. If you get reasonable grades in a state school you have had to work hard often in less than desirable circumstances at school and at home.

But if you are privately educated with some of the best teachers, small classes and very often with a quiet room or area in which to do your homework/revision. Not so easy to do your homework/revision in a shared bedroom with the TV blaring out from downstairs. And no companions within easy reach to ask questions of if you get stuck.

So some not so good students will miss out on a top uni place but some far better students will get one which makes me all in favour of "social engineering".
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Re: Why it might be harder to get into the top Universities

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun May 12, 2019 4:18 pm

If you can pull off the grades in a state schools that is a more challenging learning environments then you deserve a chance to rub shoulders with the brightest and best.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun May 12, 2019 5:31 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:18 pm
If you can pull off the grades in a state schools that is a more challenging learning environments then you deserve a chance to rub shoulders with the brightest and best.
"Rub shoulders"?
If you get the grades, then you ARE the brightest and best.

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am

Chadwick wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:31 pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
"Rub shoulders"?
I just checked up the term to double check my understanding:
rub shoulders (with)
us also rub elbows (with) informal

to meet and spend time with someone:

She claims that she rubs shoulders with royalty all the time.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... lders-with
If you can pull off the grades in a state schools that is a more challenging learning environments then you deserve a chance to to meet and spend time with the brightest and best.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am

Chadwick wrote:
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
"Rub shoulders"?
No if you got the grades at a state school you ARE the brightest and best. If you scrapped just enough to get into Uni from a Public School where you have far smaller classes, more money spent on books etc, often the creme de la creme of teachers and are surrounded by fellow pupils that it is important to do well then you have a huge advantage. And many of those will be a boarder not a day pupil so no going back to a home where it can be difficult to find space and silence to do homework etc. For those who currently scrape into Uni then nobody can call YOU the brightest and best.

The brightest and best are those who get good enough grades to get into Uni against all the odds
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon May 13, 2019 2:34 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am
Chadwick wrote:
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
"Rub shoulders"?
rub shoulders (with)

If you can pull off the grades in a state schools that is a more challenging learning environments then you deserve a chance to to meet and spend time with the brightest and best.
You miss my point. I'm not querying the meaning of 'rub shoulders', I'm querying your use of the phrase. Your original post makes it sound like if your educational background was state schools and you get into university, you are still inferior to others there.

I'm saying that by getting into the university, you already are the "brightest and best". Other people can rub shoulders with you if they wish.

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Mon May 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:34 pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 am
Chadwick wrote:

"Rub shoulders"?
rub shoulders (with)

You miss my point. I'm not querying the meaning of 'rub shoulders', I'm querying your use of the phrase. Your original post makes it sound like if your educational background was state schools and you get into university, you are still inferior to others there.

I'm saying that by getting into the university, you already are the "brightest and best". Other people can rub shoulders with you if they wish.
My mistake.

You have hit the nail on the head.
Thanked by: Chadwick