Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 am

I used to know someone who hated Thatcher and would never ever vote Tory because when he was at school and she was Minister of Education she stopped the free milk for schoolchildren.

Not being at school or a parent it had not been something I remembered clearly. But he was bitter at losing his free milk.

Earlier this week part one of a series about the Iron Lady was on BBC TV.

Yes she did remove the milk from children. But the 5 to 7 year olds still had it. And Labour had already removed it from the 11+ pupils in state schools.

But how many still accuse her of being a milk snatcher but ignore the Labour Education Minister who removed it from the 11+?

And how many still think of her in those terms though they were not even born when she was Prime Minister.

I am sure the anti Thatcherites would be keen to use this part truth to further their aims.

And so I am deeply worried about those who get most of their news from certain newspapers or just from the feed on their social media account. If I follow news about a certain celebrity on the internet then I will be fed news about them on my social media newsfeed. But if I never look at a different celebrity on the internet I will never know what they are up to. Even if the actions of the latter celebrity would be of interest to me on some occasions I will never be told. Of course not knowing about a certain celebrity may not affect me but not knowing what the different political parties are saying on various things can skew my views. I am unable to make a more rounded decision on what is happening.

I was brought up on a diet of The Telegraph and The Daily Mirror. I read the news from a right wing and a left wing perspective. Then I could form a better informed decision as to which side I was supporting.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Re: Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 am
I used to know someone who hated Thatcher and would never ever vote Tory because when he was at school and she was Minister of Education she stopped the free milk for schoolchildren.

Not being at school or a parent it had not been something I remembered clearly. But he was bitter at losing his free milk.

Earlier this week part one of a series about the Iron Lady was on BBC TV.

Yes she did remove the milk from children. But the 5 to 7 year olds still had it. And Labour had already removed it from the 11+ pupils in state schools.

But how many still accuse her of being a milk snatcher but ignore the Labour Education Minister who removed it from the 11+?

And how many still think of her in those terms though they were not even born when she was Prime Minister.

I am sure the anti Thatcherites would be keen to use this part truth to further their aims.

And so I am deeply worried about those who get most of their news from certain newspapers or just from the feed on their social media account. If I follow news about a certain celebrity on the internet then I will be fed news about them on my social media newsfeed. But if I never look at a different celebrity on the internet I will never know what they are up to. Even if the actions of the latter celebrity would be of interest to me on some occasions I will never be told. Of course not knowing about a certain celebrity may not affect me but not knowing what the different political parties are saying on various things can skew my views. I am unable to make a more rounded decision on what is happening.

I was brought up on a diet of The Telegraph and The Daily Mirror. I read the news from a right wing and a left wing perspective. Then I could form a better informed decision as to which side I was supporting.
Very incisive stuff :think:

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 am
Interesting to hear the background regarding this. Because I certainly remember it as your friend does. Perhaps its because the name. " Margaret Thatcher, milk snatcher" caught on so widely. My internal history box has been rewritten.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Any particular reason for starting the thread?

There is a documentary series about her on BBC2, with the first part earlier this week. Not yet had chance to watch it, but I do intend to. Whatever your opinions about her, she was a significant political leader of the 20th century.

RonFlorabud
Sharing: 1star.png

Post by RonFlorabud » Thu May 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Regardless your opinions on Thatcher, I think we need to accept what a powerful and constructive leader she was. Since her, have ANY of our prime ministers achieved anything that will be remembered? Anyone remember John Major, Gordon Brown or David Cameron? Teresa will get her accolade for her ability to screw up leaving the EU and forcing the opposition to take over.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 pm

RonFlorabud wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:56 pm
Regardless your opinions on Thatcher, I think we need to accept what a powerful and constructive leader she was.
That's not how I remember it - how "constructive" was the destruction of mining communities and the implementation of the poll tax? Maybe the riots were constructive too. "Powerful", I'll grant you - she had an unyielding, steely vision of the world she wanted (remember, there is no such thing as society), but there are other "powerful" leaders I'd rather had never existed.

The difference in the milk allowance withdrawal is that there was evidence that providing milk to the under-11s had a positive nutritional effect, whereas beyond that age the effects were less conclusive. Thatcher's cutoff at seven was made in the face of evidence to the contrary and many authorities attempted to retain free milk at primary schools after the government subsidy was cut.

What Thatcher did do was to introduce "spin" to political life..... and I'm not sure we'd categorize that as a positive.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:23 pm

macliam wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 pm
the implementation of the poll tax?
I think there should have been some combination of the rates system , based on property values ,and the community charge , a charge per adult living at the property

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:23 pm
macliam wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 pm
the implementation of the poll tax?
I think there should have been some combination of the rates system , based on property values, and the community charge, a charge per adult living at the property
That was what was proposed originally I think, The riots put a stop to it, as I remember.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri May 24, 2019 12:46 am

There are a lot of rose-tinted specs being worn. I lived in Westminster, a borough so rich it hardly needed to collect the pittance from individuals, which became clear when it ran a council tax of zero for several years. However, the Tory council also actively shipped the poorest in the community to other boroughs to deplete the opposition vote. Meanwhile, in poor areas, with no great income from commerce, ordinary people were hammered. The poll tax was a cynical way to limit even further the contribution required of the asset rich and allow the wealthy to retain their riches - and it got the reaction it deserved.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri May 24, 2019 7:02 am

RonFlorabud wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:56 pm
Regardless your opinions on Thatcher, I think we need to accept what a powerful and constructive leader she was. Since her, have ANY of our prime ministers achieved anything that will be remembered? Anyone remember John Major, Gordon Brown or David Cameron? Teresa will get her accolade for her ability to screw up leaving the EU and forcing the opposition to take over.
Brown's Bottom?
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club