Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Wed May 22 2019 8:41pm

Brave? Why? Mr/s* gle1975 has disclosed his/her* voting choices. There is (and should be) no adverse consequence for voting for a lawful election candidate.

Although I disagree with those choices, they are Mr/s* gle1975's right and although I disagree with those choices, I will support the right to vote for the candidate of his/her* choice.

(* I really don't like that construction and it looks clumsy in writing but I also don't want to make any assumption about gender unless it's apparent from the name or other posts. )

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed May 22 2019 8:48pm

I was wondering the same. I see nothing brave in declaring who you are voting for. I do it all the time, as do several other posters on here.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed May 22 2019 8:49pm

And the plot thickens - Andrea Leadsom quits government over Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48374098

It's now all about May in May.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 23 2019 9:57am

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed May 22 2019 3:43pm
gle1975 wrote:
Wed May 22 2019 2:25pm
I'll vote for the Brexit Party (even though Nigel is a bit of a spiv).

I've voted for two mainly anti-EU parties in my life - Referendum Party in 1997 and UKIP a few times. Plus I voted Green a few times in the 1990s when they had a party policy of leaving the EU!
...very brave of you to admit all that on here...! :thumbup:
Why? gle1975 has made their position clear without attacking those of us who are remainers. I will be voting LIbDem and if they were a Brexit party I would vote for a different one.

Voting for a different faction to me is no reason why I should have any less respect for gle1975
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Thu May 23 2019 3:02pm

Did my vote earlier it was quite an experience to go to a polling station and be alone (with the exception of the two ladies running the station) quite eerie but perhaps not surprising given its the euro elections.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu May 23 2019 8:20pm

I think this election will be viewed sort of as a 2nd ref. Because we're electing people to posts they will probably not take up, and it's not seen as a 'national' election, I think the public will generally feel free to vote as though it were a referendum.

Certainly, there is no point in voting for the Brexit Party if you wanted them to do anything. Their only policy is to not take their seats because we have left. Weirdly, I've seen people arguing that they will be able to frustrate EU functioning, but how they will do this when we have left and they are not MEPs is beyond me. The irony of electing people who are unelected has also not escaped me, nor the claim that our MEPs are suddenly very powerful people and we are not in fact ruled by Brussels.

A vote for the Brexit Party is therefore just a protest vote. And I fear it will fail there too. The government will see pro-Brexit votes as a message of 'get on with it'. Not that they should go for No Deal, or abandon May's Deal, but simply endorsement of finishing it quickly. The Brexit supporting public are likely to feel just as betrayed when their protest vote is turned into support for the Tories.

If you are a frustrated Brexiteer, feeling let down by the government and the two major parties, voting for any pro-brexit party will not advance your cause. Bizarrely, the only way to get your voice heard and to tell the government what kind of brexit you want, is to support a 2nd ref. And that means in this election, voting for the LibDems or the Greens (or Plaid in Wales, SNP in Scotland).

These parties are campaigning to stop what we are doing and put it o the public again. But this time to phrase the question more carefully. Instead of running round like headless chickens, arguing over what 'leave' means, a 2nd ref will allow us to make it clear.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu May 23 2019 8:32pm

I predict there will be a VERY low turnout

could even be less than the record low of 24% http://www.ukpolitical.info/european-pa ... urnout.htm

Derbiean

Post by Derbiean » Thu May 23 2019 8:47pm

Not to mention that some EU nationals have been denied the chance to vote as councils have failed to process the paperwork required tho that will suit the tories and brexiteers just fine.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri May 24 2019 7:43am

Mostly agree with Mr Chadwick.

The trouble with a second referendum (if you are a Leaver) is that a decisive Leave vote looks unlikely. So many of the claims by Leave have been disproven (it'll be easy, because we have all the negotiating power, other nations will be queuing up make trade deals, £350m. At the same time, some elements of Project Fear are now coming to pass - car manufacturers closing, for example, falling value of GBP.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri May 24 2019 10:09am

I wish I could be as sure as those above that Leave would lose a People's Vote. I think that they will win but I want a chance for the people to say now we know more this is what we want.

Went just before 5 yesterday and one person at the desk (voter that is) we voted and as we left another person came in to vote.

The ballot paper is large but i have a feeling that the Council Official at the desk would need a 2nd box to get the votes in or some how push down the existing votes in the box.

Because I believe in democracy I was pleased that it was hard to get my vote into a rather full box
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler