Car parking

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Car parking

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 23, 2019 11:13 am

I really am confused by a letter we got last night. The Cefas (formerly Ministry of Fisheries) building is going to be torn down and a new building built in front of it. With the two newer "wing" buildings will be refurbished. Obviously this means the car park has gone so the staff are having to park in the roads around here.

So last night we got a missive from a Tory County Councillor asking if we want residents parking. According the the Q and A section, yes, it will cost us money but no, it does not guarantee a space as more permits may be given out than actual parking spaces.

Doh! Pay but still does not mean I can park.

And apparently it is polite not to park in front of someones driveway but not illegal. It is illegal to park partly on the pavement or in front of a drop kerb but loads of drivers do. Blocking a drop kerb means it is harder for people with pushchairs/prams and impossible for people with wheelchairs.

We are going to ignore the letter and hope it does not happen. But if it does happen we will have to bite the bullet. But if it happens I expect some will park illegally and nobody will be checking up on the parking anyway. After all blocking pavements to parents and the disabled is rife but nothing ever gets done.
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Re: Car parking

Post by pabenny » Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:13 am
We are going to ignore the letter and hope it does not happen.
A poor approach if you care about the outcome.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 am

You need to be more grrr if you want to achieve something in life.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am

We are still a tad unsure as to whether or not we ignore or reply saying we have no problems normally and do not want parking permits
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 pm

If residents' permits are required on some nearby roads, the office workers will park on roads further afield - possibly yours.

Lack of response will give the council license to do whatever they choose, which could be something you dislike. I would suggest a response along the lines of

"permits should be issued free of charge to residents for vehicles registered at the streets in question (meaning you can't get a permit and sell/loan it to someone else). If there does have to be a charge it should be to cover the administrative costs only."

I think 'not-guaranteeing a space' is mostly precautionary.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, Dream on

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Most people who have a driveway have a dropped kerb ,(If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway). but this still is often ignored by ignorant motorists sometimes preventing a car parked on the drive from leaving. ( As ridiculous as it may seem, you can be issued a PCN for parking across your own dropped kerb )

Parking partly on the pavement is only illegal in London

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 pm

I sort of have a similar problem. I live 1 min from the Station which was recently refurbished and upgraded (although still not enough parking) and now has fast trains to London stopping. Before there were no direct trains and you had to change if you were London bound. Since then My road is chock a block with people trying to avoid parking charges or not able to park in the station. The council is now proposing Residents only parking. Not that it is a problem to me as I have parking at the back of the house for two cars. However I would be happy for it to be introduced as with the current state of parking it makes the road very narrow and Lorries and bigger vehicles have a problem traversing the road. So for me an easy choice, I am in favour.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.