Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 840 times
Been thanked: 2177 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Chadwick » Mon May 27, 2019 9:57 pm

I've just had a look at the EU election results:

Anti-Brexit: 40.4%
Pro-Brexit: 34.9%
Cons+Labour: 23.2%

Or, if you like:
2nd Ref/Revoke A50: 40.4%
No Deal: 34.9%
May's Deal: 9.1%
Something else: 14.1%

So why are the headlines about a Brexit Party triumph? The will of the people is to hold a 2nd referendum, or revoke article 50.

Image
Thanked by: blythburgh

William Joseph1
Posts: 11653
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2724 times
Been thanked: 6985 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 pm

But it is not as simple as that is it? it was not a referendum. The remain supporting parties vote is very split. Some who voted will not necessarily have voted that way for that reason. Also what difference does it make? Lets wait until the new leader is elected and see who it is. These European Elections were silly pointless and probably unnecessary. I suspect that a Brexit supporting leader will be elected. Lets see which way they jump after they have taken up their post. The maybot is not about to do anything in the near future. As for Jeremy saying he will call for a vote of no confidence in the hope it will cause a General Election. Well its just laughable.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Dream on
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

expressman33
Posts: 10024
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2538 times
Been thanked: 10501 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by expressman33 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

AS long as JC is the Labour leader they don't stand a chance
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 4202
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1061 times
Been thanked: 2230 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 28, 2019 12:15 am

Chadwick wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:57 pm
I've just had a look at the EU election results:

Anti-Brexit: 40.4%
Pro-Brexit: 34.9%
Cons+Labour: 23.2%

Or, if you like:
2nd Ref/Revoke A50: 40.4%
No Deal: 34.9%
May's Deal: 9.1%
Something else: 14.1%

So why are the headlines about a Brexit Party triumph? The will of the people is to hold a 2nd referendum, or revoke article 50.

Image

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.... So remind me; even after some old voters had died off, even after some youngsters had become voters and after almost three years of "knowledge" about Brexit, what was the name of the political party (even on a PR type voting system) that won the most seats in a National election...?

pabenny
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 506 times
Been thanked: 1630 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 am

What was the turnout? IIRC something like 38%. To me that makes the vote pretty inconclusive of anything.

As we know, the Brexit party won the largest share of the vote. Given they are a party with just one policy, there can have been no other reason to vote for them other than wanting to Leave. Their level of support - amounting to less than 15% of the electorate - does not suggest to me an overwhelming level of support for their position.

fattulip74
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 115 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by fattulip74 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 am

I very much doubt that the Brexit party would get any more than 1 or 2 MP' s in a general election they would significantly change the winners of a lot of seats by taking bites off the big 2.
What i don't understand is all this adding Green/SNP/LinDen vote together to say remain won. Did London win the Premier League as West Ham, Spurs and Chelsea got more points combined than Man City?
Thanked by: William Joseph1, Dream on

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24976
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3643 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 am

expressman33 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm
AS long as JC is the Labour leader they don't stand a chance
Famous last words.
Thanked by: Boro Boy
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Boro Boy
Posts: 4202
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1061 times
Been thanked: 2230 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 28, 2019 9:01 am

fattulip74 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 am
I very much doubt that the Brexit party would get any more than 1 or 2 MP' s in a general election they would significantly change the winners of a lot of seats by taking bites off the big 2.
What i don't understand is all this adding Green/SNP/LinDen vote together to say remain won. Did London win the Premier League as West Ham, Spurs and Chelsea got more points combined than Man City?
Good point! I guess that's just a way of twisting the results to fit the remain requirements...! Remember; Lies, damned lies, and statistics....

One interesting point is that this EU vote was on a PR basis and the Brexit Party would have also have won most seats if it had been run on a first past the post basis. So don't listen to the statistics just deal with the reality and all will be ok. :thumbup:

blythburgh
Posts: 15005
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31430 times
Been thanked: 6079 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by blythburgh » Tue May 28, 2019 9:14 am

I want a People's Vote and that is why I voted the way I did.

But there is no point in having one until we know what is on offer. Until we have a new Tory leader everything is up in the air.

And I prefer lies, damned lies and the misuse of statistics. No Government or business cannot work without the proper use of statistics and examining them closely
Thanked by: Dream on
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy
Posts: 4202
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1061 times
Been thanked: 2230 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 28, 2019 9:18 am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:14 am
I want a People's Vote and that is why I voted the way I did.

But there is no point in having one until we know what is on offer. Until we have a new Tory leader everything is up in the air.

And I prefer lies, damned lies and the misuse of statistics. No Government or business cannot work without the proper use of statistics and examining them closely
Yes some people are dreamers and don't like dealing with reality... :wave:

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests