Northren Rail

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Northren Rail

Post by blythburgh » Wed May 29, 2019 10:12 am

Should the owners be stripped of the franchise? No comment as I do not know enough but what I heard on the radio made me feel sorry for those who use it.

But the same company runs trains locally. OK I have never used it and I am sure not all the troubles are of its own making. If the infrastructure is the problem then it is something they do not run so not there fault.

But what I found shocking was the report on the regional news the other day. Off peak fares were raised without any announcement being made. This year alone those fares have risen by a smidgen under 10%. And the woman who always appears when they need someone to face the press had the gall to say that as Tesco and Sainsburys do not announce price rises then they had no need to do so either. Breathtaking cheek IMHO. I do not think transport links where you have no choice are not the same as supermarkets.

Not sure I do want the railways renationalised. The trouble with that is they can only get money for upgrades via fares and the Govt. coffers and other parts of the Govt. will always be ahead of them in the queue for money.

And because they have the franchise for X years they feel they can invest in new rolling stock for the whole of the Eastern region that they control. If you think that is surprising, well it is the first time ever many of those trains were replaced brand new ones instead of other areas cast offs.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Re: Northren Rail

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm

New trains makes the journey so much more comfy plus environmentally more friendly.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Dream on

Post by Dream on » Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm
New trains makes the journey so much more comfy plus environmentally more friendly.
The new trains more comfortable? You have got to be joking. There are designed to be uncomfortable and give everyone much less privacy.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 am

And probably no more room for disabled people. I saw on Look East a lady in a mobility scooter who was ordered out of the disabled space so someone could put their pushchair in the space. Husband phoned the whole thing.

A few weeks earlier a very successful disabled athlete wet herself because the disabled loos were out of order.

And that is the tip of the iceberg of complaints about trains.

And I recently read in regional rag about a lady in a wheelchair at front of queue who was refused access but woman with pushchair was allowed on so she could use the disabled space. Common problem apparently.

No wonder people prefer cars
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 am

Funny, no one picked you up on your spelling error... :think:

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 am
Why should we? It was a typing error. Quite common when the author is not a touch typist!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am

I can touch type up to a point but often look at the keyboard instead. I can spell well when using a piece of paper but put my hands on a keyboard and somehow the fingers go faster than the spelling bit of the brain lol

William Joseph1

Post by William Joseph1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am
I can touch type up to a point but often look at the keyboard instead. I can spell well when using a piece of paper but put my hands on a keyboard and somehow the fingers go faster than the spelling bit of the brain lol
It can be corrected by you, if you so wish.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 pm

xrppzi wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 am
Why should we? It was a typing error. Quite common when the author is not a touch typist!
Strange, I'm no touch typist but always seem to get my spelling mistakes corrected immediately!!!

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 pm
Strange, I'm no touch typist but always seem to get my spelling mistakes corrected immediately!!!
Not your spelling. Your 'facts'.