Foolish and Dangerous

Media articles about money-saving topics
AAAlphaThunder

Foolish and Dangerous

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:15 pm

The first people to be gene-edited - a pair of baby twin girls - may have been mutated in a way that shortens life expectancy, research suggests.

Prof He Jiankui shocked the world when he genetically altered the twins to try to give them protection against HIV.

But a study in Nature Medicine shows people who naturally have the mutation he was trying to recreate were significantly more likely to die young.

Experts said Prof He's actions were "very dangerous" and "foolish".
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48496652

A step with unforeseen consequences.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, pakefield
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

kevinchess1
Sharing: 3stars.png

Re: Foolish and Dangerous

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:37 pm

This is whats happens when you play god
Thanked by: pakefield
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:41 pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:15 pm
The first people to be gene-edited - a pair of baby twin girls - may have been mutated in a way that shortens life expectancy, research suggests.

Prof He Jiankui shocked the world when he genetically altered the twins to try to give them protection against HIV.

But a study in Nature Medicine shows people who naturally have the mutation he was trying to recreate were significantly more likely to die young.

The "horror" in Frankenstein was not the creation of the "monster", it was the belief that man could (or should) attempt to interfere with nature.... hence the sub-titile "The Modern Prometheus" harking back to the cautionary legend of the titan who defied the gods to give fire to humans.

200 years later, the same thing is true.... despite the impact of DDT, pollution, myxomatosis, mad-cow disease, salmonella...... man still tries to "outdo" nature and we end up paying a price for it - hence the nervousness over the unknown effects of GM crops. Why do we always think we can "cheat" without consequence?
Thanked by: pakefield
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Well, 'outdoing nature' also involves things like houses and central heating, the NHS, clothing, and lots more stuff. Even when we were hunter gatherers we used to outdo nature with a few weapons and tools. I'm not sure I fancy life without a lot of cheating nature.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Constantine wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 pm
Well, 'outdoing nature' also involves things like houses and central heating, the NHS, clothing, and lots more stuff. Even when we were hunter gatherers we used to outdo nature with a few weapons and tools. I'm not sure I fancy life without a lot of cheating nature.
I made it fairly clear what I define as "cheating nature", so please don't attempt to demean the comment. In any case, your suggestion is spurious, Bears live in caves, various animals use tools, Apes will use leaves to provide warmth and shelter from the rain......
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:34 pm

macliam wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:41 pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:15 pm

The "horror" in Frankenstein was not the creation of the "monster", it was the belief that man could (or should) attempt to interfere with nature.... hence the sub-titile "The Modern Prometheus" harking back to the cautionary legend of the titan who defied the gods to give fire to humans.

200 years later, the same thing is true.... despite the impact of DDT, pollution, myxomatosis, mad-cow disease, salmonella...... man still tries to "outdo" nature and we end up paying a price for it - hence the nervousness over the unknown effects of GM crops. Why do we always think we can "cheat" without consequence?
For anyone like me who doesn't recall Greek mythology:
In the Western classical tradition, Prometheus became a figure who represented human striving, particularly the quest for scientific knowledge, and the risk of overreaching or unintended consequences. In particular, he was regarded in the Romantic era as embodying the lone genius whose efforts to improve human existence could also result in tragedy: Mary Shelley, for instance, gave The Modern Prometheus as the subtitle to her novel Frankenstein (1818).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Dolly the Sheep was a clone and developed arthritis far younger than usual with sheep.

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:49 am

pakefield wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:27 pm
Dolly the Sheep was a clone and developed arthritis far younger than usual with sheep.
Of deeper concern, what happens when you pass these genes onto the next generation. Generations down the line is the subject sub-human or super-human?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9B-kLTZOX0

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:12 am

The Australians thought it was a good idea to bring in some cane toads to eradicate a pest. They have no natural enemies so of course they have become a plague of biblical proportions.

Now they want to introduce a GM fungus to eradicate mosquitoes. But will be the unexpected side effects?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48464510?SThisFB
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:39 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:12 am
The Australians thought it was a good idea to bring in some cane toads to eradicate a pest. They have no natural enemies so of course they have become a plague of biblical proportions.

Now they want to introduce a GM fungus to eradicate mosquitoes. But will be the unexpected side effects?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48464510?SThisFB
The law of unforeseen consequences.