Living Memory

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Living Memory

Post by macliam » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 pm

If you not heard any of the broadcasts on R4 and have a few minutes spare, I would recommend listening to these programmes on iplayer or sounds (or whatever the newer waste of space is called).

The first programme (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005t2c is Robert Grant Pitts "Bob" Weighton (born 29 March 1908) from Alton, Hampshire...... he's the joint oldest man in Britain at 111. Having trained as an engineer, in 1933 he had no chance of a job due to the Great Depression so he moved to Taiwan to teach English in a mission school. Taiwan was then under japanese occupation, so he learned Japanese. When attempting to return to England, he was stopped in Canada and ended up working in Chicago producing anti-Japanese propaganda. Then he returned to the UK and became an engineering lecturer, retiring to Alton in Hampshire - but his daughter married a German, so he learned the language and, at the age of 70, he passed his 'A' level with an A grade!! Fascinating.....

The next programme has an East-end Jewish lady, Beattie Orwell, who remembers fighting Oswald Mosley's fascists in the 1930s and an ex-lecturer from Cambridge who still researches there despite being over 100 years old. Then there's Dennis Allen who was born in 1914 and spent fifteen years in the Army driving a truck and fighting in Afghanistan, Singapore and Burma....... and now has a son of 85 with dementia...

Truly amazing - we ignore the experiences of these folk at our peril. Obviously undeserving of a free license......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny

Re: Living Memory

Post by pabenny » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a go

AAAlphaThunder

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 am

macliam wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 pm
If you not heard any of the broadcasts on R4 and have a few minutes spare, I would recommend listening to these programmes on iplayer or sounds (or whatever the newer waste of space is called).
Because it's not useful to you it's worth is zero?
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 am
macliam wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 pm
Because it's not useful to you it's worth is zero?
So that's all you took from the post is it. Interesting.

However, replacing something that worked and did what it needed to with a glitchy all-things for all-men at an undisclosed cost....... hmmm.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me