Forget Climate Change the real disaster is Micro-Plastics

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: Forget Climate Change the real disaster is Micro-Plastics

Post by pabenny » Thu May 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am
... Why must you persist asking the same questions ...
a) because we might learn from or be inspired by your own efforts on plastic waste
b) because it's worth debating what government could/should do
and
c) because you are doggedly resisting providing meaningful answers - the motives for which I can only speculate at. Could it be that your intent was actually contained in the first part of the heading, namely "Forget climate change"?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 12:55 pm

pabenny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:13 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
... Why must you persist asking the same questions ...
a) because we might learn from or be inspired by your own efforts on plastic waste
b) because it's worth debating what government could/should do
and
c) because you are doggedly resisting providing meaningful answers - the motives for which I can only speculate at. Could it be that your intent was actually contained in the first part of the heading, namely "Forget climate change"?
a) I couldn't think of anything less interesting... unless you want to talk about how many times I have reused a plastic shopping bag!
b) I have stated that the UK Government is a leader, added a long quote from an MP and we should be proud of their efforts when the budget isn't there to do much more...
c) stop your speculating I will spell it out for you - I think it's more like I'm not answering your questions in a way you can repeat them in a twisted manner so you have now beaten this subject to death. Stop and move on before members tell you you're boring them.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu May 09, 2019 1:28 pm

The long quote (from an MP about what the government is doing) is referring to climate change, not plastic waste.

Government action on plastic waste does not need to involve public expenditure. The plastic bag charge has cost the government nothing except the cost of drawing up the legislation. There is talk of a deposit scheme on drinks bottles, also not requiring public expenditure. There's plenty more that government could do... a requirement for a minimum recycled content in plastic bottles, prohibiting plastic wraps for mailing magazines etc, and doubtless far more.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Thu May 09, 2019 1:36 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:43 am
Boro Boy wrote:
pabenny wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am
Mr Boro Boy - You started a thread about the 'disaster' of microplastics. If it is the disaster you say, why are you so reluctant to discuss actions we might take as individuals or actions our government should take?
It was merely to raise awareness... Why must you persist asking the same questions some of us do what we can to keep a clean planet.
And that is what Extinction Rebellion and children walking out of lessons are doing as well. But maybe they get more publicity which means the public take more notice and force politicians to do something.
Pabenny, you're twisting his words again.

'Doing your bit' and 'raising awareness' is a Good Thing when it is small scale and only reluctantly promoted within a small forum.

But anything on a scale that attracts attention - particularly government attention - is to be frowned upon.

Now that's clarified, I'm off to Costa for a takeout. I'm going for a walk over the fields where there won't be a bin, so I'll just hide the rubbish in a bush (I don't want the inconvenience of having to carry a dirty cup around!). And before you all shout at me for littering non-biodegradable materials (which we didn't have when I was young, and the world didn't end then so it must be OK), can I just point out that I am Raising Awareness so stop twisting my melon man. Carrot and Stick...

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:36 pm
blythburgh wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:43 am
Boro Boy wrote:

It was merely to raise awareness... Why must you persist asking the same questions some of us do what we can to keep a clean planet.
And that is what Extinction Rebellion and children walking out of lessons are doing as well. But maybe they get more publicity which means the public take more notice and force politicians to do something.
Pabenny, you're twisting his words again.

'Doing your bit' and 'raising awareness' is a Good Thing when it is small scale and only reluctantly promoted within a small forum.

But anything on a scale that attracts attention - particularly government attention - is to be frowned upon.

Now that's clarified, I'm off to Costa for a takeout. I'm going for a walk over the fields where there won't be a bin, so I'll just hide the rubbish in a bush (I don't want the inconvenience of having to carry a dirty cup around!). And before you all shout at me for littering non-biodegradable materials (which we didn't have when I was young, and the world didn't end then so it must be OK), can I just point out that I am Raising Awareness so stop twisting my melon man. Carrot and Stick...
...then return in ten years so (it should still be there) and the cup may have become some form of collectors piece, you may make a bit of money for it! :thumbup:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Italian drivers get my vote for saving the planet! They use the least amount of petrol possible when they park and sometimes just give up and stop half way though the normal parking manoeuvres...

ITALIAN Parking.jpg
ITALIAN Parking - yes its parked
ITALIAN Parking.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 361 times

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 am

Reminds me of when the airshow used to be held here. Cars not just parked to the corners but I have seen them on the corner, front end in one road and the rear in the other.

Now they are building a new Cefas building in front of the old one and refurbishing parts of the existing one. This means the car park is unusable so the cars have to park in surrounding roads. Need I say many park to the corner and that means across the drop kerb. And I think I am correct in saying that is illegal. It certainly makes life hard for anyone with a pram/pushchair (trolley if you live here) or are pushing a wheelchair. Totally impossible if you are in a powered wheelchair to get across the road. And how people with powered wheelchairs or scooters are supposed to get onto the pavement so they can get into their homes is another thing these lazy and selfish drivers never think of. You might use your scooter on the road but you eventually need to get onto the pavement as you have arrived where you need to be.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Ice creams vans are the next point of attack in the Road to Zero https://www.petrolprices.com/news/ice-c ... d-to-zero/

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat May 11, 2019 10:51 am

They are in areas where children are. They pump out poisons as the have to keep the engine running to keep the refrigeration working.

They cab add to childhood obesity and misery if the household is struggling to pay bills and feed themselves. So the answer has to be no you cannot have an ice cream

So the loss of them would not be all bad
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 am

Great programme on BBC 1 War on Plastics with Hugh and Anita highlighted one of my concerns "Micro-Plastics", even its presence in peoples homes let alone the general environment. The effects of breathing into your lungs micro plastics is yet to be found out...!

If you can get a chance to see this BBC programme on BBC iPlayer do please view it, you will find it informative and a little frightening...! :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh