Forget Climate Change the real disaster is Micro-Plastics

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: Forget Climate Change the real disaster is Micro-Plastics

Post by pabenny » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 am

I haven't (yet) seen the programme. Does it present any evidence of actual harm from micro-plastics - as opposed to them turning up in all sorts of places?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 am

If you have yet to catch up with the programme do, a real eye opener and Boro Boy is half right. Micro-plastics are a real danger.

And an eye opener. Did you know the baby wipe, make up remover wipe, the kitchen surface wipe etc are almost all plastic. They do not just clog up the sewers after people put them down the loo they add to the plastic in the world.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 am

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 am
Micro-plastics are a real danger.
Is that true?

Is there any evidence of harm from microplastics? There are lots of scary-sounding things said, like microplastics in fish. Clearly they shouldn't be there, but are they doing harm? I really don't know and the apparent lack of evidence of harm makes me sceptical.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 am

pabenny wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 am
blythburgh wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 am
Micro-plastics are a real danger.
Is that true?

Is there any evidence of harm from microplastics? There are lots of scary-sounding things said, like microplastics in fish. Clearly they shouldn't be there, but are they doing harm? I really don't know and the apparent lack of evidence of harm makes me sceptical.
Watch the programme as I could easily say something not backed up by fact in the programme
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 am

pabenny wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 am
I haven't (yet) seen the programme. Does it present any evidence of actual harm from micro-plastics - as opposed to them turning up in all sorts of places?
I would have thought the mere fact that people are breathing in increasing amounts of plastic micro fibers so deep into their lungs that the body finds it hard to expel them is enough to realise there is an issue; even more frightening is the BBC program carries out tests in a normal family home but the results don't stop there; read the original item at the head of this thread about micro plastics found at the top of the Pyrenees Mountains... :o
Thanked by: blythburgh