Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Jun 23 2019 5:27pm

Its clear that the key divide in this country is no longer Leave/Remain or North/South but between
- People who think a late night screaming row between a couple is domestic abuse,
and
- People who’ve been married... :shock:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jun 23 2019 8:50pm

pabenny wrote:
Sun Jun 23 2019 8:56am
Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Jun 22 2019 11:04pm
ITALY - stuck in the EU and attempting to increase public spending for its population but under treat of sanctions from the EU causing a market turndown resulting in a brain drain of its educated youth: https://www.france24.com/en/20190620-fo ... 2463152530 :wave:
Another apparent attempt to argue that the particular characteristics of Italy are (a) caused by being in the EU and (b) would infect the UK if we remained.

Since the UK and Italy have both been EU members for the last 40+ years, it's strange how we have remained unaffected by Italian economic incompetence and administrative chaos.

But hey-ho. It's the Leavers' beliefs-over-evidence in action again.
I bet you believed in the imminent on-set of the next ice age when all those "experts" said we were all doomed by the growth of the polar ice caps...!!!

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Jun 24 2019 6:49am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Jun 23 2019 8:50pm
I bet you believed in the imminent on-set of the next ice age when all those "experts" said we were all doomed by the growth of the polar ice caps...!!!
We've done this one. But for those with short memories:

The "new ice-age" was a conjecture (a proposition based on incomplete evidence that could not be proved nor disproved). It gained public attention as a result of somewhat misleading headlines in Time and Newsweek in 1975.

The current scientific position on climate change is that the Earth underwent global warming throughout the 20th century and continues to warm.

But why let actual facts get in the way of an opinion.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Jun 25 2019 5:29pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Jun 24 2019 6:49am
Boro Boy wrote:

The "new ice-age" was a conjecture (a proposition based on incomplete evidence that could not be proved nor disproved). It gained public attention as a result of somewhat misleading headlines in Time and Newsweek in 1975.

The current scientific position on climate change is that the Earth underwent global warming throughout the 20th century and continues to warm.

Why indeed.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jun 25 2019 7:54pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Forty years ago, the thinking was different. The rapid global warming we now experience had not really taken off, and there was instead the possibility of climate changes working in the opposite direction, with emissions blocking infra-red.

Fast forward a few decades and we have a) better research and b) a different scenario.

This graphic has recently gained a bit of publicity. It shows the changes in temperature over the past century. Judge for yourself what you think is happening.
Source: https://showyourstripes.info

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Jun 25 2019 9:23pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Jun 24 2019 6:49am
Boro Boy wrote:

I am old enough to know that your so-called "conjecture" was presented as a fact by the "experts" at the time!

Handy how (presumably because of the passage of time) you can twist past facts to become conjectures to fit your argument... doesn't change reality though, all the past experts were wrong and global warming has been adapted with new words: climate change... :wave:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Jun 25 2019 11:16pm

Mmm, not looking so good for the German economy; they are going to need us to export to and buy their cars to keep them afloat!: https://www.cityam.com/german-business- ... since-2014

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Jun 26 2019 11:06am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jun 25 2019 9:23pm
I am old enough to know that your so-called "conjecture" was presented as a fact by the "experts" at the time!
There you have me. I don't have absolute recall from 40 years ago
Handy how (presumably because of the passage of time) you can twist past facts to become conjectures to fit your argument... doesn't change reality though, all the past experts were wrong and global warming has been adapted with new words: climate change... :wave:
When facts change, wise people change their opinions. Even if the 'new ice age' was the best available scientific position in the 1970s (and it was already being superseded then), we now have considerably more understanding (and evidence) about climate change than we did.

Of course, those who don't want to accept advances in knowledge can always continue to rely on their barber for surgery without modern anaesthetic.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 26 2019 11:32am

Global warming could lead to an ice age for us. Our weather is affected by the jet stream. I have heard that if enough melting ice goes into the oceans of the world then the jet stream could be changed and no longer affect us. Leaving us with "beast from the east" winters and cool summers.

Global warming effects are not fully understood yet and some can only be seen by looking back over previous years. But one thing is certain it is happening. Sea levels are rising. Average temperatures are rising.

Facts that cannot be disputed.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jun 26 2019 2:32pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jun 25 2019 11:16pm
Mmm, not looking so good for the German economy; they are going to need us to export to and buy their cars to keep them afloat!: https://www.cityam.com/german-business- ... since-2014
I imagine this could be caused in part by uncertainty over Brexit, although the article doesn't mention it.

It does mention low water levels in the Rhine as having disrupted manufacturing. I don't see how Brits buying cars will address that.

[insert your own joke here about keeping the economy afloat on the river]