Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy
Posts: 4198
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1060 times
Been thanked: 2229 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:15 pm

pabenny wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 pm
I am old enough to know that your so-called "conjecture" was presented as a fact by the "experts" at the time!
There you have me. I don't have absolute recall from 40 years ago
Handy how (presumably because of the passage of time) you can twist past facts to become conjectures to fit your argument... doesn't change reality though, all the past experts were wrong and global warming has been adapted with new words: climate change... :wave:
When facts change, wise people change their opinions. Even if the 'new ice age' was the best available scientific position in the 1970s (and it was already being superseded then), we now have considerably more understanding (and evidence) about climate change than we did.


Of course, those who don't want to accept advances in knowledge can always continue to rely on their barber for surgery without modern anaesthetic.
When "facts" change, "wise people" change their opinions, act like sheep and close their ears to other "experts" calculations... until the next change. :wave:

Boro Boy
Posts: 4198
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1060 times
Been thanked: 2229 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:32 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 pm
Mmm, not looking so good for the German economy; they are going to need us to export to and buy their cars to keep them afloat!: https://www.cityam.com/german-business- ... since-2014
I imagine this could be caused in part by uncertainty over Brexit, although the article doesn't mention it.

It does mention low water levels in the Rhine as having disrupted manufacturing. I don't see how Brits buying cars will address that.

[insert your own joke here about keeping the economy afloat on the river]
Here's another one you can treat as a joke... BMW pledges loyalty to the UK: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... mpact.html :wave:

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24968
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm
Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:32 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 pm
Mmm, not looking so good for the German economy; they are going to need us to export to and buy their cars to keep them afloat!: https://www.cityam.com/german-business- ... since-2014
I imagine this could be caused in part by uncertainty over Brexit, although the article doesn't mention it.

It does mention low water levels in the Rhine as having disrupted manufacturing. I don't see how Brits buying cars will address that.

[insert your own joke here about keeping the economy afloat on the river]
Here's another one you can treat as a joke... BMW pledges loyalty to the UK: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... mpact.html :wave:
What they mean is:
Loyalty when needed, throw us away when no longer required.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Chadwick
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 840 times
Been thanked: 2177 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm
Here's another one you can treat as a joke... BMW pledges loyalty to the UK: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... mpact.html :wave:
Did you even read it?
German car giant BMW has declared it remains 'committed' to the UK in a boost for our embattled automotive industry.

In accounts filed this month for BMW UK, directors added: 'We are currently going to great lengths to prepare our production network for the impact of Brexit.'

BMW brought forward the summer maintenance shutdown of its Mini factory in Oxford to April to minimise disruption around the expected Brexit date at the end of March.
The underlined bits would not be necessary if we weren't leaving the EU. BMW is running to stand still.
Britain is BMW's fourth-largest sales market in the world.
So, yes, they probably are going to remain committed - loyal, if you prefer - to Britain. But there's a cost, and can you guess who will pay it?

We could have achieved the same result without that cost by simply staying in the EU.

This is not a good news story. It is like when you claim on your car insurance; you've got the money, but you've still had your car stolen, and now your insurance premium has gone up.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 4198
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1060 times
Been thanked: 2229 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:13 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm
Here's another one you can treat as a joke... BMW pledges loyalty to the UK: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... mpact.html :wave:
Did you even read it?
German car giant BMW has declared it remains 'committed' to the UK in a boost for our embattled automotive industry.

In accounts filed this month for BMW UK, directors added: 'We are currently going to great lengths to prepare our production network for the impact of Brexit.'

BMW brought forward the summer maintenance shutdown of its Mini factory in Oxford to April to minimise disruption around the expected Brexit date at the end of March.
The underlined bits would not be necessary if we weren't leaving the EU. BMW is running to stand still.
Britain is BMW's fourth-largest sales market in the world.
So, yes, they probably are going to remain committed - loyal, if you prefer - to Britain. But there's a cost, and can you guess who will pay it?

We could have achieved the same result without that cost by simply staying in the EU.

This is not a good news story. It is like when you claim on your car insurance; you've got the money, but you've still had your car stolen, and now your insurance premium has gone up.
You remainers make me laugh soooo much!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: "Oh leaving the EU will mean we loose all the car manufactures" Then when one of the frightened German car manufactures pledges its future in the UK and guess what? Freedom from the domination of the EU and still keeping the car manufactures on our side isn't good enough... I'm still laughing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sarah
Posts: 2573
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am
Has thanked: 196 times
Been thanked: 1771 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Sarah » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 am

Your callous and uninformed comments are an insult to those whose jobs and livelihoods have already been lost or placed at risk. If you haven't yet been adversely affected by the impact of the EU referendum vote then good for you; too bad you're unable to see what's actually happening to the UK.

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24968
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:23 am

The "B" word, ice age, climate change...................

This thread really does get around.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Boro Boy
Posts: 4198
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1060 times
Been thanked: 2229 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am

Sarah wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 am
Your callous and uninformed comments are an insult to those whose jobs and livelihoods have already been lost or placed at risk. If you haven't yet been adversely affected by the impact of the EU referendum vote then good for you; too bad you're unable to see what's actually happening to the UK.
Well we both must be uninformed or you have just forgotten about the thousands of NE Steel Workers, thousands of fishermen all around our coast, etc. who (not possibility - actually) have already lost their jobs because Brexit did not happen soon enough...! Or are you just callous...!?! :wave:

blythburgh
Posts: 15000
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31418 times
Been thanked: 6079 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am

Thousands of fishermen on the east coast switched to North Sea oil and gas/wind farms so did not lose their jobs. The bosses did very well thank you by selling the quotas and switching the boats from high risk and financially risky fishing to guaranteed money by servicing the above.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 505 times
Been thanked: 1625 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:25 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am
Well we both must be uninformed or you have just forgotten about the thousands of NE Steel Workers, thousands of fishermen all around our coast, etc. who (not possibility - actually) have already lost their jobs because Brexit did not happen soon enough...! Or are you just callous...!?! :wave:
Another one we've done before. The Tory government blames the EU for preventing it doing something (subsidising the steel industry) they wouldn't do anyway. Or is memory faulty and the Conservatives have a proud record of supporting ailing industries?

Fishing employs around 13,000 across the whole of the UK. That's about the same number of jobs already going in the major motor manufacturers. Plus the thousands more in the component industry. Clearly fishing is hugely important in those communities but it's impact on the national economy is negligible.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests