This Heat Thing has been around a while....

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Jun 30 2019 12:17am

I have been sent some old newspaper cuttings from the North East and one caught my eye:

It goes on about the reservoirs being low in the hot weather so we can pick it up later and avoid the long winded bit, so it goes on... ...on 29th June the Gazette reported how the "worst drought in the North East for 25 years" had brought "further grave danger the Teesside's water supply and seriously threatens some of the root crops."
With temperatures reaching 84 degrees fahrenheit (thats approx. 29C) in the shade at Albert Park....

And it goes on but what caught my eye was the date and the year along with the temperature...

The above was originally printed in 1949 and we where still going on about global warming! Additionally on the warmest day of the year Middlesbrough's temperature earlier yesterday (the anniversary) was 26C not 29C as in 1949... I guess we should take this climate thing in perspective, as we have a few years of rising temperatures to go to catch up with the temperatures of the late 1940's eh? :wave:

parchedpeas

Re: This Heat Thing has been around a while....

Post by parchedpeas » Sun Jun 30 2019 7:13am

Oh my goodness.

Why is it that all the Brexit fans and climate change deniers are always the same people?

"There used to be hot days" is not science. Of course there was. But it's not the same thing, is it? You do know that, don't you? Because you're either joking here, or you've done no reading into the topic at all (which, given your ignorance on other topics, would not be at all surprising actually!).

Nearly every bit of information we've collated as humans is now available at your fingertips, right here on the internet. Living in ignorance is a choice, not an accident.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sun Jun 30 2019 9:50am

There was indeed a spike in temperatures in the late 1940s. Using that spike in temperature to support climate change denial is twisting the facts, and we know how opposed Mr Boro Boy is to twisting of facts.

So here are some actual facts (assuming that you are prepare to believe the experts at NASA and the measurements).

After falling back, global temperatures have been steadily rising and have exceeded that peak for most of the last 40 years. There's nice chart here:

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/gl ... mperature/

And plenty more about climate change on the NASA website.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Jun 30 2019 10:01am

Yawn, cannot be bothered to argue with the deaf and blind
Thanked by: Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jun 30 2019 10:06am

parchedpeas wrote:
Sun Jun 30 2019 7:13am
Why is it that all the Brexit fans and climate change deniers are always the same people?
They won't like it if we answer that. The difference between weather and climate is also yet another thing that Donald Trump doesn't understand.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jun 30 2019 3:57pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Jun 30 2019 12:17am
I guess we should take this climate thing in perspective, as we have a few years of rising temperatures to go to catch up with the temperatures of the late 1940's eh? :wave:
Abraham Lincoln (allegedly) wrote:Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Jul 01 2019 3:40pm

So where are all the Global Warming "Experts" that all the sheep followed and satirised you for not agreeing with them...?

Snow in Mexico: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-48821306 Ah! Climate change I here... yes possibly but its nothing new... cycles happen...

Halfway through this podcast from the 1990's of A Letter From America from an old favourite Alister Cooke, he talks about snow in Mexico and it was the first time since it happened 40 years earlier... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-48821306

Indeed I have personally experienced the most unusual of weather patterns, more than once; being a regular visitor and extensive traveller in Italy, I have seen snow in June and on the same day 30C heat. It always comes as a surprise but it is not an unusual weather occurrence. :think:

All in all, we should still keep the earth clean and take advantage of new green technologies but not at the expense of being dictated to, or making unnecessary laws to appease climate extremists. :wtf:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Jul 01 2019 4:33pm

Sorry - you've lost me.

Are you trying to say that "unusual" weather is natural variation and as such is not evidence of climate change?

If so, then I would agree, because weather and climate are different things. But when "unusual" weather becomes more frequent, it starts to suggest the climate has changed/is changing. This is what the NASA graphs that I referenced above show: global temperatures have been getting steadily warmer for decades.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Jul 01 2019 6:18pm

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jul 01 2019 7:07pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jul 01 2019 3:40pm
Indeed I have personally experienced the most unusual of weather patterns,
Is this thread about climate change or unusual weather?
They're not mutually exclusive.

If we're talking about climate change, then the world is getting hotter. Proven fact.

If we're talking about unusual weather, then gosh wasn't it hot on Saturday!