Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy
Posts: 4220
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 1642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:38 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:42 pm
Over 10,000 NE steel workers jobs actually gone while we remained an EU member. Plus all the jobs and businesses that depend on them...
But that's done. Those jobs won't come back as a result of leaving the EU.

Can you give any examples at all of businesses which are investing in the UK and investing in the UK *because* of Brexit?
"But that's done!" That is a rather callous attitude to peoples lives...

As regards investment"because of Brexit" the majority of that with surely only happen after the event.

pabenny
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 413 times
Been thanked: 1278 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 am
As regards investment "because of Brexit" the majority of that with surely only happen after the event.
So there isn't any. It's just hope. Or wishful thinking.

As opposed to the tens of thousands who are going to lose their jobs as a result of leaving the EU.

William Joseph1
Posts: 10490
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Location: The Isle of Dreams
Has thanked: 2131 times
Been thanked: 4999 times

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by William Joseph1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 am
As regards investment "because of Brexit" the majority of that with surely only happen after the event.
So there isn't any. It's just hope. Or wishful thinking.

As opposed to the tens of thousands who are going to lose their jobs as a result of leaving the EU.
As regards the car market it is very hard to say that blame lies with Brexit. There are so many other factors to take into account, general downturn in the market. Future changes to the type of fuel being used etc. It is all not so clear cut.
It is polite to thank a post. If you like it or if you feel it has helped you. Use the thumb up on the top right of the post.

blythburgh
Posts: 14534
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 25999 times
Been thanked: 5345 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:38 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:42 pm
pakefield wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 pm
1,000 vauxhall jobs on the line now. Plus all the jobs and businesses that depend on them
Over 10,000 NE steel workers jobs actually gone while we remained an EU member. Plus all the jobs and businesses that depend on them...

Oh and don't forget to mention the general worldwide turndown in petrol/diesel car sales! :wave:
They would have gone if we had left the EU soon after the referendum. But I do feel sorry for all involved
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 413 times
Been thanked: 1278 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:32 am

William Joseph1 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 am
As regards the car market it is very hard to say that blame lies with Brexit. There are so many other factors to take into account, general downturn in the market. Future changes to the type of fuel being used etc. It is all not so clear cut.
So how many automotive jobs are going elsewhere in Europe? I don't know, but I would guess that the UK is being harder hit than other European countries.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 4220
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 1642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 am
As regards investment "because of Brexit" the majority of that with surely only happen after the event.
So there isn't any. It's just hope. Or wishful thinking.

As opposed to the tens of thousands who are going to lose their jobs as a result of leaving the EU.
Did I say that or did I say like most investors they are waiting to invest when things appear cheaper...

blythburgh
Posts: 14534
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 25999 times
Been thanked: 5345 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by blythburgh » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am
pabenny wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 am
As regards investment "because of Brexit" the majority of that with surely only happen after the event.
So there isn't any. It's just hope. Or wishful thinking.

As opposed to the tens of thousands who are going to lose their jobs as a result of leaving the EU.
Did I say that or did I say like most investors they are waiting to invest when things appear cheaper...
Cheaper? Do not make me laugh. The pound is plummeting and that is bad news for comsumers and manufacturers.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 413 times
Been thanked: 1278 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:30 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am
pabenny wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am
Boro Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 am
As regards investment "because of Brexit" the majority of that with surely only happen after the event.
So there isn't any. It's just hope. Or wishful thinking.

As opposed to the tens of thousands who are going to lose their jobs as a result of leaving the EU.
Did I say that or did I say like most investors they are waiting to invest when things appear cheaper...
So you're arguing that it requires a further devaluation of GBP to encourage foreign investment in UK industry?
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1852 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Chadwick » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:42 pm
Over 10,000 NE steel workers jobs actually gone while we remained an EU member. Plus all the jobs and businesses that depend on them...

Oh and don't forget to mention the general worldwide turndown in petrol/diesel car sales! :wave:
Don't forget to mention the global downturn in steel prices too. Over production mainly in China put a lot of steel on the market very cheaply. Throw in UK production costs at maybe 20x higher than China - with the best will in the world, no amount of subsidy or improved production is going to bridge that gap. I know the criticism of the EU is that its rules don't allow governments to to subsidise ailing industries, but it would have made no sense to do so - it was a bottomless pit. I think Port Talbot was losing £1m a day.

The other criticism of the EU is that it could have raised tariffs in Chinese steel. But that would have pushed up costs for all the companies buying steel, at a time of financial downturn. It would have just transferred the problem elsewhere.

Ultimately there was no good solution. Global economics won out. The UK was expensive, China was cheap.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 23711
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 3068 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:42 pm
Over 10,000 NE steel workers jobs actually gone while we remained an EU member. Plus all the jobs and businesses that depend on them...

Oh and don't forget to mention the general worldwide turndown in petrol/diesel car sales! :wave:
Don't forget to mention the global downturn in steel prices too. Over production mainly in China put a lot of steel on the market very cheaply. Throw in UK production costs at maybe 20x higher than China - with the best will in the world, no amount of subsidy or improved production is going to bridge that gap. I know the criticism of the EU is that its rules don't allow governments to to subsidise ailing industries, but it would have made no sense to do so - it was a bottomless pit. I think Port Talbot was losing £1m a day.

The other criticism of the EU is that it could have raised tariffs in Chinese steel. But that would have pushed up costs for all the companies buying steel, at a time of financial downturn. It would have just transferred the problem elsewhere.

Ultimately there was no good solution. Global economics won out. The UK was expensive, China was cheap.
You have hit the nail on the head.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest