Brexit Bounces too

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24968
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am

Lib Dems - didn't they do well.

(Brecon and Radnorshire By-Election)
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

blythburgh
Posts: 15000
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31418 times
Been thanked: 6079 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by blythburgh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am
Lib Dems - didn't they do well.

(Brecon and Radnorshire By-Election)
Once again the pro remain parties show a huge percentage rise in their votes and in a Leave voting area too. And unlike most by-elections you cannot blame low voter turnout. The biggest by-election turnout since 1947
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

gle1975
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 am
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 98 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by gle1975 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:12 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am
Lib Dems - didn't they do well.

(Brecon and Radnorshire By-Election)
Once again the pro remain parties show a huge percentage rise in their votes and in a Leave voting area too. And unlike most by-elections you cannot blame low voter turnout. The biggest by-election turnout since 1947
The Leave Alliance won - UKIP + Conservative + Brexit Party! :twisted:

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24968
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:07 pm

gle1975 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:12 pm
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am
Lib Dems - didn't they do well.

(Brecon and Radnorshire By-Election)
Once again the pro remain parties show a huge percentage rise in their votes and in a Leave voting area too. And unlike most by-elections you cannot blame low voter turnout. The biggest by-election turnout since 1947
The Leave Alliance won - UKIP + Conservative + Brexit Party! :twisted:
True, it is as you say.

To be precise:
Leave Alliance: too busy fighting each other.
Remain Alliance: working hand-in-hand - be it that they do not field a candidate to maximise success.
Result
Sometimes one must concede to win. In the process you have changed the mathematics in your favour.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Chadwick
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 840 times
Been thanked: 2177 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Chadwick » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:25 pm
pabenny wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:47 pm
As I callously said, those jobs have gone and won't be coming back whether we are in the EU or not.

Meanwhile, we have thousands more jobs gone or under threat as a result of Brexit - especially no deal Brexit. And the Leavers don't care; nor can they give any examples of businesses who will be creating jobs in the UK as a result of Brexit.
Wrong: the Minister at the time specifically highlighted that EU regulations which stopped the UK Government from giving financial support.

Actual job loss not possible job loss.
You're aware of course that the UK government has been paying British Steel's bills since May this year.
And that the UK's Conservative government itself is very much against subsidising industries, preferring to let the market be the dominant force.

Have a read about steel and brexit:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-f ... ood-brexit
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ge-exports
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 31071.html
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 4198
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1060 times
Been thanked: 2229 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:58 pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:25 pm
pabenny wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:47 pm
As I callously said, those jobs have gone and won't be coming back whether we are in the EU or not.

Meanwhile, we have thousands more jobs gone or under threat as a result of Brexit - especially no deal Brexit. And the Leavers don't care; nor can they give any examples of businesses who will be creating jobs in the UK as a result of Brexit.
Wrong: the Minister at the time specifically highlighted that EU regulations which stopped the UK Government from giving financial support.

Actual job loss not possible job loss.
You're aware of course that the UK government has been paying British Steel's bills since May this year.
And that the UK's Conservative government itself is very much against subsidising industries, preferring to let the market be the dominant force.

Have a read about steel and brexit:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-f ... ood-brexit
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ge-exports
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 31071.html
Doesn't alter the fact that the membership of the EU and abiding by their regulations were a major contributing factor to the destruction of British Steel: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... t-16148902

blythburgh
Posts: 15000
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31418 times
Been thanked: 6079 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by blythburgh » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:30 am

gle1975 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:12 pm
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am
Lib Dems - didn't they do well.

(Brecon and Radnorshire By-Election)
Once again the pro remain parties show a huge percentage rise in their votes and in a Leave voting area too. And unlike most by-elections you cannot blame low voter turnout. The biggest by-election turnout since 1947
The Leave Alliance won - UKIP + Conservative + Brexit Party! :twisted:
Yes, but in a very vote leave area we were campaigning on a remain ticket yet enough of the voters decided to go for us. Many Labour voters did this which is why their only just kept their deposit. Says a lot about people changing wanting a People's Vote when you vote tactically for a Remain Party.

Not sure why Farage could not see that he would split the vote and let the Lib Dems in unless he is more interested in getting publicity for his non Party. I say non Party because it does not have any members who can have a say in who is their candidate or what party policy should be.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 505 times
Been thanked: 1625 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by pabenny » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:32 am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:36 pm
Doesn't alter the fact that the membership of the EU and abiding by their regulations were a major contributing factor to the destruction of British Steel: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... t-16148902
Mr Boro Boy - you're still evading the point.

You blame EU membership for the loss of steel-making jobs.

Leaving the EU won't bring those jobs back.

But it is already resulting in the actual and threatened loss of thousands more jobs - with none coming to replace them.

How can that be a good thing?
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24968
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 213 times
Been thanked: 3642 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Hot potatoes.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Chadwick
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 840 times
Been thanked: 2177 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit Bounces too

Post by Chadwick » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:36 pm
Doesn't alter the fact that the membership of the EU and abiding by their regulations were a major contributing factor to the destruction of British Steel: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... t-16148902
I think you referenced the wrong article. This one doesn't say that EU membership caused or contributed to the loss of 10,000 jobs.

It says "[British Steel's] cashflow problems are understood to have been worsened by the Brexit extension as, without an imminent deal being approved by parliament, the UK could continue to be excluded from the ETS [Emissions Trading Scheme]."

In other words, a No Deal brexit will worsen British Steel's problems.

Firstly, that isn't the question you were answering. And secondly it supports the argument that No Deal is not good news.

So, I think you meant to link to a different article to back up your argument that the decline of the British steel industry and loss of 10,000 jobs is due to EU membership.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest