A Green Initiative gone completely wrong...!!!

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

Re: A Green Initiative gone completely wrong...!!!

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Aug 09 2019 9:49am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Aug 09 2019 9:35am
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Aug 09 2019 8:11am
It sounds like you should return to the initial post and attachment.
No one has disputed that careless disposal of rental bikes is a problem as per the story linked in the OP

But
pabenny wrote:
Thu Aug 08 2019 1:54pm
..it remains the case that the headline in your OP bears no resemblance to the linked news story.
This is the first time you have mentioned that you are personally affected by poor parking of rental bikes. I acknowledge that. I would be annoyed if it happened on my doorstep.

But I return to the illustration I gave about Penicillin. If it cures 99 people and creates mild side effects for you, it doesn't make Penicillin a Bad Thing overall.

For rental bikes, we have to ask weigh the benefits for the millions of residents, workers and visitors in central London against the costs for those same people. Clearly you feel the costs heavily. But that doesn't mean that overall rental bikes are a bad thing. It certainly doesn't make them a "green initiative that's gone completely wrong".
You remind me of the Italian Greens "..this is good for you, you will accept it" Any one in disagreement to the policy is obviously mad or ill informed, a statement will be issued to undermine & pacify but in general the dissenters will be ignored... This is a Green Initiative gone completely wrong...!!! (but not in their eyes!)

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Aug 09 2019 10:12am

You're still refusing to acknowledge that the story you posted has nothing to do with the headline you put above it on your OP.

If you had posted the same story without a headline such as "Adverse consequences of rental bikes", everyone would have agreed with you. I can't judge whether you are opposed to green polices of all sorts (for unknown reasons) or are just trolling. Or maybe have some other motivation not otherwise apparent.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Aug 09 2019 10:51am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Aug 09 2019 10:12am
You're still refusing to acknowledge that the story you posted has nothing to do with the headline you put above it on your OP.

If you had posted the same story without a headline such as "Adverse consequences of rental bikes", everyone would have agreed with you. I can't judge whether you are opposed to green polices of all sorts (for unknown reasons) or are just trolling. Or maybe have some other motivation not otherwise apparent.
You must have a degree in pedantics: Please read the above thread and links.

This is a Green Initiative which has gone completely wrong - until it is properly thought out dockless bicycles should be withdrawn from Central London and probably other cities experiencing the same problems.

Here's one for you: Should the headline "Poor site reviews at Trust Pilot" have read: "Ill informed visitors to iMutual given inaccurate and misleading poor reviews of iMutual on Trust Pilot" that would fit into your interpretation of the world...!

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Aug 09 2019 11:30am

I've just re-read the story - which it seems you haven't.
pabenny wrote:
Wed Aug 07 2019 3:40pm
"It's a green initiative". The only green mentioned in the linked item is a Mr Andy Greene.
In fact the operators of rental bikes largely focus on 'mobility'. Urbo, Mobike and Lime (I couldn't be bothered to check any others) make no mention of greenery.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Aug 09 2019 1:29pm

pabenny wrote:
Fri Aug 09 2019 11:30am
I've just re-read the story - which it seems you haven't.
pabenny wrote:
Wed Aug 07 2019 3:40pm
"It's a green initiative". The only green mentioned in the linked item is a Mr Andy Greene.
In fact the operators of rental bikes largely focus on 'mobility'. Urbo, Mobike and Lime (I couldn't be bothered to check any others) make no mention of greenery.
It's a green initiative. I'm sure there is a Mr Green somewhere in the electric car industry as well... :wave:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Aug 09 2019 2:13pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Aug 09 2019 8:11am
Chadwick wrote:
Thu Aug 08 2019 2:04pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Aug 07 2019 3:18pm

Mmmm, this appears to be a green initiative and it appears not to be working but the comrades are not allowed to agree with that or their whole ethos of green can't possibly be wrong collapses...
In what way has this initiative "gone completely wrong" and failed to meet its "green" purpose?

I can see that there have been some unexpected and unacceptable consequences in other areas, but that's not what's upsetting you, so don't bother commenting on that.
It sounds like you should return to the initial post and attachment. This is happening on the doorstep on my central London home yet complaints fall on deaf ears as for most of any working day these dockless rent as you go bicycles pile up. These schemes are flawed but still they remain. It is not the fault (in the main) of "...thoughtless renters" as some claim on here, as dockless zones exist but they cannot cope with the amount of bicycles and there is not enough space for more; however I am shortly expecting the next Green Initiative which will be to move all the people out of Central London to make way for dockless bicycle parks and with the answer (if its questioned) that this is... "A necessary side affect..."
Well, clearly it IS working to an extent. Someone is riding those bikes to your house, and presumably they've saved a car journey in doing so.
Now we've moved past your knee jerk reaction to any initiative to what may be deemed a 'green scheme', it would appear there is indeed a knock-on issue: people just abandon the bikes thoughtlessly, or even damage them deliberately.

No-one's arguing with you that that is a problem and needs to be addressed. It's the histrionics abut it being an environmental scheme that are out of place and distracting from the actual problem.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Aug 10 2019 10:40pm

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Aug 11 2019 7:40am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Aug 10 2019 10:40pm
Another "Crap" Green Initiative: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-49304358 ;)
Nothing Green about this. This man is supporting those who are destroying the Amazon faster than ever before. And if you do not care about the wildlife that is lost or the indigenous people who are losing their land and the nature they depend on that is up to you. But you should care because the Amazon affects weather around the world.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Aug 11 2019 10:11am

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Aug 11 2019 7:40am
Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Aug 10 2019 10:40pm
Another "Crap" Green Initiative: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-49304358 ;)
Nothing Green about this. This man is supporting those who are destroying the Amazon faster than ever before. And if you do not care about the wildlife that is lost or the indigenous people who are losing their land and the nature they depend on that is up to you. But you should care because the Amazon affects weather around the world.
So "..saving the environment" is not green now!?! :eh: (the title on the link would suggest you are wrong in thinking this is not green!!!). You should think about changing your toilet habits...

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sun Aug 11 2019 4:22pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sun Aug 11 2019 7:40am

Que?

The Amazon rainforest is a carbon sink, depleting it's capacity to absorb CO2 is what "affects weather around the world"; i.e. climate change, global warming. That is so bright green it hurts my eyes.:)

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.