Fighting Theft...!

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Fighting Theft...!

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Aug 19 2019 12:14am

Workman gets his tools stolen time and time again and Police don't even attend his property. He rigs his van up with 1000V and not only gets a visit from the Police but his next meeting is with the Police Commissioner: https://www.facebook.com/onthetools/vid ... 5622032182 :clap: :clap: :clap:

blythburgh

Re: Fighting Theft...!

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 19 2019 7:59am

A similar story I remember is an elderly lady whose son put barbed wire on top of her wall due to a burglary. She was forced to remove it due to the risk to anyone illegally climbing over the wall.

IMHO if you break into a van and get an electric shock that is your just desserts. Same as injuring yourself climbing a wall with the intent to steal.

No law abiding person would ever be injured so what was the problem?
Thanked by: kevinchess1, expressman33
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Aug 19 2019 8:02am

Ingenious.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Aug 19 2019 9:39am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Aug 19 2019 7:59am
A similar story I remember is an elderly lady whose son put barbed wire on top of her wall due to a burglary. She was forced to remove it due to the risk to anyone illegally climbing over the wall.

IMHO if you break into a van and get an electric shock that is your just desserts. Same as injuring yourself climbing a wall with the intent to steal.

I tend to agree with you here but apparently the law is interpreted differently by the "powers that be"... :eh:
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Aug 19 2019 9:47am

blythburgh wrote:
Barbed wire or spikes topping fences and walls is commonplace. If the story is true, there must have been some other factor requiring removal
blythburgh wrote:
Because two wrongs don't make a right. The state reserves for itself the power to punishment offenders.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 19 2019 10:52am

pabenny wrote:
Mon Aug 19 2019 9:47am
blythburgh wrote:
Barbed wire or spikes topping fences and walls is commonplace. If the story is true, there must have been some other factor requiring removal
blythburgh wrote:
Because two wrongs don't make a right. The state reserves for itself the power to punishment offenders.
True but most criminal acts go unpunished. The man has been robbed in the past and putting tools in the van and removing them every day is not something he should be forced to do. I am on his side this time, the law is not at fault but sometimes the jobsworth interpret it too strongly.

I heard yesterday that children are being killed because it is against the human rights of the parents to remove them. Nothing wrong with the human rights law but in its interpretation at times.

But then again Social Workers are attacked for removing a child from it's parents but if they leave the child and it comes to harm they are attacked for not removing it.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Aug 19 2019 11:55am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Aug 19 2019 10:52am
… The man has been robbed in the past and putting tools in the van and removing them every day is not something he should be forced to do...

.. sometimes the jobsworth interpret it too strongly...
So what if a would-be thief is killed or injured by this 1000v? I don't think there is any justification in law for devices to protect property that can deliver lethal force. This is very clearly different from self-defence.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Mon Aug 19 2019 2:06pm

yet the police are allowed to use Tasers which are over 25,000 volts , but I believe it is not the voltage that hurts/kills you it is the current in Amperes

https://taserguide.com/how-many-volts-a ... 20anything.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Aug 19 2019 3:30pm

expressman33 wrote:
Mon Aug 19 2019 2:06pm
yet the police are allowed to use Tasers which are over 25,000 volts , but I believe it is not the voltage that hurts/kills you it is the current in Amperes

https://taserguide.com/how-many-volts-a ... 20anything.
Correct. But he didn't obviously rig it to kill merely to give a nasty shock :crazy:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Aug 19 2019 4:36pm

It's the outcome, not the intent that determines liability.

Tasers are deployed by trained officers who are required to make warn before use, can make judgements on the setting and juration of the voltage and can ensure that urgent medical attention is provided if necessary.

As compared with a high voltage administered from an unattended vehicle. Much more likely to result in death or serious injury.