Greene King - takeover poll

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

Greene King

HOLD
3
27%
SELL
8
73%
 
Total votes: 11

garindan
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: Midlands
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 1226 times
Contact:

Greene King - takeover poll

Post by garindan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 am

Members,

As you will have most likely read - Greene King is subject to a takeover by a Hong Kong based investment fund. The share price boomed 50% yesterday. This now puts us into a profit position on the share but there is also some chatter suggesting another offer might come in to top the current one.

We have to decide our position taking into account:

- we agreed to move these long term shares on if the price was right and we'd incur no loss
- there is a decent enough premium on our purchase price (~17.5% before costs at the time of writing)
- there is a rumour of other interested parties that might counteroffer

What we have to decide upon is how much more of a premium could a counteroffer be and is it advantageous to hold and see what happens first or take what we have now without risking any purchase falling through?

Please share your thoughts and reasoning behind your vote.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

blythburgh
Posts: 15161
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 31807 times
Been thanked: 6157 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by blythburgh » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 am

Can you qualify what happens if a shareholder in Greene King does not sell and waits for any takeover to happen please. It might help people make a more informed decision.
Thanked by: garindan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

richard@imutual
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 am
Sharing: 3stars.png
Has thanked: 1902 times
Been thanked: 4404 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by richard@imutual » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

Sounds like we stand to get at least the current market price, so what would be the advantage of selling now? And would that outweigh the potential upside of an improved offer?
Thanked by: garindan

garindan
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: Midlands
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 1226 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by garindan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 am
Can you qualify what happens if a shareholder in Greene King does not sell and waits for any takeover to happen please. It might help people make a more informed decision.
I would if I knew but I don't :shock:
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

kevinchess1
Posts: 22834
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm
Sharing: 3stars.png
Location: Miles away from the sea
Has thanked: 13075 times
Been thanked: 16825 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 am

Sell and take your profit
If you don’t sell then say a Stop above your purchase price
To answer Richard’s question about ‘what’s the advantage to selling now?’
If the sale doesn’t happen then the price will collapse and even if it does happen there’s still a chance the price will drop
SELL!
Thanked by: garindan
Politically incorrect since 69

Sarah
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 1815 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by Sarah » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:44 am

Sorry, haven't done the homework for you by checking the Greene King offer details, but this might help...
garindan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 am
blythburgh wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 am
Can you qualify what happens if a shareholder in Greene King does not sell and waits for any takeover to happen please. It might help people make a more informed decision.
I would if I knew but I don't :shock:
Look at the offer terms, which are probably publicly available. If they're buying for cash then eventually you get money for the shares, which would be similar to selling them into the market but you have to wait (selling to the market you'd usually receive slightly less but won't have to wait). Or the offer could be a stock swap or combination of the two, in which case some or all of the value in your Greene King shares would be exchanged for shares in the company that buys Greene King.
richard@imutual wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am
Sounds like we stand to get at least the current market price, so what would be the advantage of selling now? And would that outweigh the potential upside of an improved offer?
The main advantage of selling now is locking in the higher price, if the offer isn't yet unconditional. If it isn't, the deal could fall apart and the price drop; but once unconditional that risk is much reduced.

garindan
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Location: Midlands
Has thanked: 1026 times
Been thanked: 1226 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by garindan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:23 pm

The shares have been sold. Update later.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 25172
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 214 times
Been thanked: 3690 times
Contact:

Re: Greene King - takeover poll

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:51 pm

garindan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:23 pm
The shares have been sold. Update later.
Double well done everyone.

First, well done for profit.

Second, well done for speed.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest