Fighting Theft...!

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Fighting Theft...!

Post by Chadwick » Thu Aug 22 2019 2:40pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Aug 21 2019 6:01pm
These are the benefits of free movement of labour. Whilst Albania is not part of the EU it is practically an open border with Greece and entry to Italy is just as easy; once inside the EU they seem to home in on London with little resistance getting here... This is were the easy money is!
That's not what free movement of labour means.
It means that you could get a job in (for example) Germany just as easily as a German, or Italian. There would be no additional paperwork or visa requirements.
Your UK/EU passport enables this. An Albanian passport does not.

From November, you will no longer be able to do this. You will only be able to work in the UK without a visa or work permit. The Germans meanwhile will struggle on, able to freely source employees from only 27 neighbouring countries.

I think you were conflating free movement of labour with the Schengen Zone, which is the ability of EU Nationals to move freely across European borders with minimal border checks. You will recall that the UK is not party to this arrangement, which is why every UK citizen must show their passport on entry/exit to the UK. We can stop anyone we like at our border if we suspect them of wrongdoing. Brexit will not change this.
Thanked by: expressman33

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Aug 22 2019 3:05pm

Chadwick wrote:
Thu Aug 22 2019 2:40pm

From November, you will no longer be able to do this. You will only be able to work in the UK without a visa or work permit.
I assume you mean WITH a visa or work permit. ( or "cash in hand")
Thanked by: emsky

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Aug 22 2019 4:17pm

Chadwick wrote:
...every UK citizen must show their passport on entry/exit to the UK...
Not just UK citizens. Everyone.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Aug 22 2019 4:26pm

Chadwick wrote:
... You will only be able to work in the UK with a visa or work permit...
Unless you were an EU citizen already lawfully in the UK before no deal. In which case your rights are supposedly unchanged.

Since there are no official records of EU citizens in the UK today, it's impossible to determine whether someone from another member state was in the UK on no deal day- and therefore can work legally without further documentation. Or whether they arrived afterwards and does need a work permit or visa.

Irrespective of whether you think ending free movement is good or bad, this is a very poorly thought through policy which will create significant difficulties for any EU citizen who hasn't applied for and obtained 'Settled Status' by no deal day. Some people may think that itself is a good thing. Until there are fewer doctors, nurses, care workers, fruit pickers, truck drivers, etc.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Aug 22 2019 6:59pm

pabenny wrote:
Thu Aug 22 2019 4:26pm
Chadwick wrote:
... You will only be able to work in the UK with a visa or work permit...
Unless you were an EU citizen already lawfully in the UK before no deal. In which case your rights are supposedly unchanged.

Since there are no official records of EU citizens in the UK today, it's impossible to determine whether someone from another member state was in the UK on no deal day- and therefore can work legally without further documentation. Or whether they arrived afterwards and does need a work permit or visa.

Irrespective of whether you think ending free movement is good or bad, this is a very poorly thought through policy which will create significant difficulties for any EU citizen who hasn't applied for and obtained 'Settled Status' by no deal day. Some people may think that itself is a good thing. Until there are fewer doctors, nurses, care workers, fruit pickers, truck drivers, etc.
Believe it or not there are jobs that people born in the UK (I don't mean English White but people who have been born and bred in the UK and enjoy a certain lifestyle) will NOT do, even for money.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Aug 23 2019 2:24pm

expressman33 wrote:
Thu Aug 22 2019 3:05pm
Chadwick wrote:
From November, you will no longer be able to do this. You will only be able to work in the UK without a visa or work permit.
My point was that as a UK citizen, after Brexit the only country you will be able to work in without getting additional paperwork is the UK. Right now, there's 28 countries where you could do that.

pabenny wrote:
Thu Aug 22 2019 4:17pm
Chadwick wrote:
...every UK citizen must show their passport on entry/exit to the UK...
Not just UK citizens. Everyone.
Quite. I focussed on UK citizens to make the point that even we need to show passports to pass our own border.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Aug 23 2019 2:34pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Aug 23 2019 2:24pm
expressman33 wrote:
Chadwick wrote:
My point was that as a UK citizen, after Brexit the only country you will be able to work in without getting additional paperwork is the UK. Right now, there's 28 countries where you could do that.
apologies , I misread you , I thought you was referring to non-UK citizens :oops:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Aug 25 2019 5:24pm

expressman33 wrote:
Fri Aug 23 2019 2:34pm
Chadwick wrote:
Fri Aug 23 2019 2:24pm
expressman33 wrote:

apologies , I misread you , I thought you was referring to non-UK citizens :oops:
Yes, it could be read like that. In my head I put more emphasis on the UK bits - that didn't translate into text.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Aug 27 2019 2:07pm

Thank goodness some Police want to do more than just move them on... but its obviously not enough! https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/a ... spartanntp
Thanked by: expressman33