Brexit

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
pabenny

Re: Brexit

Post by pabenny » Fri Sep 27 2019 3:35pm

Rather than debating who is being the most or least democratic, does anyone have any idea how we might move forward?
  • There are plenty whose solution is for everyone else to agree with them – right from the no dealers to the let’s-just-remainers. Or for the EU to concede on everything the Leavers want.
  • No Deal is a resolution of sorts – but opposed by a majority in Parliament and only the most diehard Brexiteers think it will be anything but damaging for the country.
  • A general election seems unlikely to give any party an overall majority and probably not even a Tory-Brexit alliance. So getting anything through Parliament is likely to be just a difficult as now.
  • A second referendum might also give a resolution. The Leavers are resolutely opposed as their campaigning position has been seriously weakened over the last year and the likely outcome is Remain. And of course the pro-Brexit papers will be apoplectic.
  • The Leave side – and it is concentrated on that side – have adopted a harder and harder line ánd created deeper divisions. They’ve not sought to accommodate in any way the (almost) half of voters who wanted to Remain or the parts of the country where a majority voted Remain.
Anyone any realistic thoughts on what next?

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Sep 27 2019 4:14pm

General Election.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 27 2019 5:11pm

I should have thought that considering the entrenched position of most people on the subject. the only way forward would be a GE followed by a new referendum. If the conservatives fail to get a majority. I do not see them getting a majority in order to force things through, which is what Boris would see as ideal. But nothing will happen until he has sent his letter (or not) although I can't see how he can wheedle his way out of it.

Last resort. What follows shortly after Haloween? Yes, it's Guy Fawkes night https://www.britannica.com/biography/Guy-Fawkes
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Sep 27 2019 7:46pm

The 'best' (not necessarily most realistic) way forward in my opinion is to start afresh.

Revoke article 50, and start the discussion about what form of Brexit would be best for the UK. What final position would suit us best. Norway+, Canada++, stay in the CU, EFTA, mix of everything. Maybe set a deadline for this conversation to end and the government of the day to take a stance.

Then, put it to a referendum again. Remain, or Leave as described by the government. Maybe also include a third option if the government option is hotly contested. Single Transferable Vote if more than two options.

Depending own the outcome, invoke article 50 and negotiate a withdrawal.

Leaving the EU shouldn't be a them-and-us negotiation. It should be just an amicable divorce, agreeing the costs and responsibilities. We've ended up where we are because we've not known where we were trying to get to and we were just trying to grab whatever we could on the way out.
Thanked by: im183152, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 27 2019 7:56pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Sep 27 2019 7:46pm
The 'best' (not necessarily most realistic) way forward in my opinion is to start afresh.

Revoke article 50,
The only group advocating that at the moment are The LD's whilst I am happy to go along with it. Its unlikely that they will have a majority after any election is held.
Thanked by: im183152, blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Sep 27 2019 10:39pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Sep 25 2019 3:11pm
expressman33 wrote:
Tue Sep 24 2019 10:31pm
So if we have another election and Labour wins it shouldn't make any difference . The Tories can remain in power for the next four years and we can then have another election to see if that is what the people really wanted.
You're confusing an election with a referendum.
One has an effect that is immediately implemented. The other is advisory only.
That's under UK law. If you want to adopt the rules of another country like Switzerland, a referendum would be more binding.
I was being sarcastic
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Sep 27 2019 10:43pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Sep 27 2019 5:11pm
I should have thought that considering the entrenched position of most people on the subject. the only way forward would be a GE followed by a new referendum. If the conservatives fail to get a majority. I do not see them getting a majority in order to force things through, which is what Boris would see as ideal. But nothing will happen until he has sent his letter (or not) although I can't see how he can wheedle his way out of it.

Last resort. What follows shortly after Haloween? Yes, it's Guy Fawkes night https://www.britannica.com/biography/Guy-Fawkes
Thanked by: emsky, blythburgh

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sat Sep 28 2019 5:27pm

Mmm, well. Guy Fawkes failed and was sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered for his trouble. Besides he was a Catholic extremist. :}
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Sep 28 2019 7:17pm

expressman33 wrote:
Fri Sep 27 2019 10:43pm
William Joseph1 wrote:
Fri Sep 27 2019 5:11pm

Unless of course this Halloween is special and the clock never reaches midnight?
Thanked by: emsky, blythburgh
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sat Sep 28 2019 10:50pm

Jeremy 'There has to be an election. But we won't allow it.
Jo 'The People of Britain must have a say and our new policy means they wont be allowed to
Nicola 'I will support a Westminster government of National unity, even though I'm against national unity...and A Westminster government

People of Britain 'Can we PLEASE gpo back to when government wasn't sitting?
Thanked by: bprev, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69